Monster Cable Sues Blue Jeans Cable

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This pending lawsuit doesn't increase my love for Monster one bit. Hopefully this thread will make them reconsider. I asked Bluejeans for the exclusive for posting their response and looking forward....

S

satish536

Audioholic
Monster doesnt seem to be happy inspite of ripping off uninformed end users for their hard earned dollars.

Eventually monster wants to rip the whole industry off by screwing over smaller companies.
A company like monster should compete fair and square using competitive products and prices rather than trying to make competing 'FAIR TRADE,VALUE ORIENTED' companies go out of business using big money dirty legal tactics..

I think monster should consider itself lucky that still today some uninformed end users go buy their products paying outrageous prices. Now it wants to use a law suit when smart people dont pay for their outrageously priced 'fool the consumer' junk.

Bluejeans is a great company providing affordable value oriented products to enthusiasts and end users alike. Full support to BJC.

+1 on the petition

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a small business owner, I give the same service as my competitors for about 20-30% less, I don't need to advertise, and thank heavens my company is always busy, I'd hate to think if a "monster" type company came after me, I'd have to close shop.

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
Monster Cable has issued a Cease-and-Desist order to Blue Jeans Cable (Tartan Cable) over analogue cable connectors. In particular, the design of the Tartan component...
Where're my royalties?!

K

KurtBJC

Audioholic
Thanks, everyone!!!

Howdy, all; Kurt from Blue Jeans Cable here.

First, my thanks for all the supportive comments. If you want to lend further support to the cause, the best thing you can do for us is to spread the word by talking about this online; make sure that people here and elsewhere know what's going on. As for the offer of financial donations: that's very, very kind, but we're going to be just fine here, and we're happy to carry on the fight on our own dime.

Second, I should point out just a couple of quibble-sized issues with the report. Monster hasn't actually sued us yet, nor is there a cease-and-desist order; rather, there's simply a cease-and-desist letter, which carries no legal effect in and of itself. If this does escalate to litigation, I will let everyone know; heck, I'll probably start a blog.

Third, let me tell you a bit about myself, since the fact that I'm a retired lawyer has already come up. I spent nineteen years in the practice of law, first in Philadelphia and later Seattle, after attending University of Pennsylvania Law School (class of '85). My entire practice was in litigation, most of that in federal courts, involving complex legal issues and large-damage cases (occasionally, but not often, involving intellectual-property issues). My roommate from second year is a highly-regarded intellectual property litigator, and other friends of mine include IP counsel to large technology firms; so when I have a patent or a trademark question, you can bet I know who to call. And litigation doesn't scare me; heck, I spent a couple of decades doing litigation full time.

Unless Monster is hiding the ball somewhere, the patent and trademark claims they're advancing here are flat-out frivolous. The lack of resemblance between their designs and the connectors we sell is obvious, and this looks like their typical m.o. -- go shake down the little guys and try to scare them into signing burdensome licensing agreements. Still, to make sure, I'm preparing a letter to them to request further information in support of their claims; if they're not able to produce that information and show how it relates to their claims, chances are this is a bluff and no suit is coming. However, I have met some dumb, dumb lawyers over the years, so one can never be sure a suit won't be filed just because the claims are frivolous. Suffice it to say that if they do file it, I am not one of those who "suffers fools gladly" and there is no great likelihood of my settling it; I will take them all the way to judgment. The result would likely be a decision that would put an end to their efforts to attach an overly-broad scope to their various design patents and trademark registrations.

As a rule, what happens when Monster does this sort of thing is that it gets away with it. People are terrified of litigation, especially litigation against large entities with lots of money, and that allows bullies to get away with ridiculous things. I am calm under fire, and there is nothing I hate worse than a bully. As for their size: the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Money can buy lawyers, but it can't buy merits for a meritless case.

Again, thanks for all the supportive posts. I will make sure everyone is kept abreast of developments.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Just wanted to let everybody know that Kurt took time to personally email me about this after I emailed offering a defense donation. Damn good cables, damn good price, AWESOME COMPANY!

SUPPORT BLUE JEANS CABLES!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Howdy, all; Kurt from Blue Jeans Cable here.

As for the offer of financial donations: that's very, very kind, but we're going to be just fine here, and we're happy to carry on the fight on our own dime.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
You can say no to donations all you want but you can't stop us from buying more stuff from BJC. :)

BTW On Saturday I placed an order for some HDMI cables for my new TV, a Y splitter for my future dual sub set up and locking banana plugs because BJC apparently sells the best ones. They arrived 2 days later on a Monday. :D

Thanks for doing what you do: selling quality products at reasonable prices while providing us with an education on this whole A/V thing.

-Alex

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
LOL
I guess a class action against monster would be more appropriate. Monster users, open your eyes :D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Just wanted to let everybody know that Kurt took time to personally email me about this after I emailed offering a defense donation. Damn good cables, damn good price, AWESOME COMPANY!

SUPPORT BLUE JEANS CABLES!
He took time to email me back as well, after an email just pledging my support during this potential litigation process. His post above is proof in the pudding that BJC is a class-act company, and deserves every bit of solidarity and support that we Audioholics can afford to give. A prime example of how it's supposed to be done in this maddening world of corporate greed, pushy sales tactics, down your throat marketing and the like. It is both refreshing and reassuring to know that there is still decency and pride in the world of business and sales.

Bravo, BJC!! :)

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
When ever companies pull ridiculous cr*p with me, I file a complaint with the State Attorney Generals office. Get fast results and 'goes on their permanent record.' What we need is to get the States or US Attorney Generals to look into these monopolistic actions by companies like Monster.

Jack

P

PatrickBateman

Junior Audioholic
I want to see Bose sue Monster...and vice versa LOL!
Well then who is going to sue me?:D

Actually, I am putting through another order to Blue Jeans in a day or two.
Great company and great products.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
When ever companies pull ridiculous cr*p with me, I file a complaint with the State Attorney Generals office. Get fast results and 'goes on their permanent record.' What we need is to get the States or US Attorney Generals to look into these monopolistic actions by companies like Monster.

I live in Canada and I am fortunate enough to have some relatives that have a place In Sarasota Florida. I remember last year laying out in a tropical paradise (compared to Canada when it is Winter) and I remember my uncle on the phone with a telephone communciations company that was giving him some troubles and he said exactly what Jack Hammer said about calling the states attorney general and he emmediatly got results.!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I may just have to place an order for some stuff. I have some monster products in my system, but only the cheapy THX ones. Looks like they're be getting replaced.

Halon, I may join you in your burn ritual.

SheepStar

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I only ever purchased one Monster cable, and a monstrosity it was! It was an audio RCA to RCA I purchased at BB. The plugs did not grab the outside of the socket firmly enough for my liking. When this happens I gently squeeze the ground lugs with the pliers. When I did this to the monstrosity cable the lugs broke off. It was made from the cheapest pot metal, and concealed with what looked like a gold electroplate. It was more Chinese junk.

I placed a big order with Blue Jeans Cable when I did my studio 2 years ago. The cables were all of the highest standard, and beautifully manufactured, just to the lengths I ordered.

Recently I went to BB in Grand Forks, to get an optical Toslink cable. All that was on offer was a monstrosity cable made in a Chinese prison for just over $60. I ordered one from Blue Jeans and it came promptly at a little over $20 including shipping.

The cease and desist letter is beyond the pale. If Monstrosity cable push it, we should organize a boycott of the large box stores that stock their junk.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I don't understand what Monster is defending. None of their technologies are unique that I am aware of. This is like McDonalds suing somebody for selling hamburgers.
Yes, the same size and weight to boot:D
The Monster silliness never stops. I think their illusiory power went to their head.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I guess I'm taking this a bit personal, but I think Monster should grow up, they make tons of money, what's the need to bother BJC? Think about it, BJC is neither in Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal Mart nor any retail establishment, they're only accessible online, they cater to smart A/V consumers and they charge a fair price for top quality merchandise. If you guys can, please, take the time to e-mail them, at least let them know you appreciate their business and they should fight the green Monster, there are many of us here that own BJC products, we always take the time to recommend them to newbies throughout. Let the folks at BJC know that you care, hey it might be their jobs on the line if this gets out of control, I for one would hate to see BJC go the way of the dinosaur, we need small companies like them as an alternative to the pricey monsters of the business world.
Monster is a predator, plain and simple. They like to scare people with their lawsuits hoping that they buckle.
I just don't understand that the likes of Disney settles with them, or partner with them over the use of Monster name.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Moster lawsuit

This is interesting since BJC doesn't design cables, they assemble them. They use belden cable and off the shelf connectors. Perhaps BJC seamed like an easier target than suing Canare for the design of their RCA plugs.

The sad thing is that the cost of these lawsuits are passed onto the consumer.

I am waiting for monster to buy out Monoprice and introduce a new "budget" line of HDMI cables that are only $50 for 1 meter. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis