Monster Cable Sues Blue Jeans Cable

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
This is interesting since BJC doesn't design cables, they assemble them. They use belden cable and off the shelf connectors. Perhaps BJC seamed like an easier target than suing Canare for the design of their RCA plugs.

The sad thing is that the cost of these lawsuits are passed onto the consumer.

I am waiting for monster to buy out Monoprice and introduce a new "budget" line of HDMI cables that are only $50 for 1 meter. :eek:
It's Monster trying to scare the "little" guy out of business. I for one am condeming Monster cables anytime I can, if someone asks for cable advice I naturally point to BJC, I did it this last weekend at BrandsMart, my father in law bought a Sammy LCD, right away the sales guy tries to hock Monster, I just stepped right in and said, "no thanks, Bluejeans Cables will do fine," then I asked the guy to check out their site during his lunch break.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The cease and desist letter is beyond the pale. If Monstrosity cable push it, we should organize a boycott of the large box stores that stock their junk.
Hard to boycott something that none of us here buy to begin with. Even calling Monster up and saying something doesn't matter. What do they care, they don't make a dime off of us.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Hard to boycott something that none of us here buy to begin with. Even calling Monster up and saying something doesn't matter. What do they care, they don't make a dime off of us.
True, but we can deter people from buying their products. I am sure lots of negative word of mouth about this company has strayed many unassuming customers away from buying their wires and interconnects. I am sure Monster feels very threatened about company's like BJC and Monoprice. This is Monster just trying to flex its muscle with scare tactics however it seems if this progresses BJC will call their bluff...this good get interesting.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
My friends and I never recommend Monster to anyone. And, in support of BJC, I just ordered some spade connectors :)

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Spread the word fellas to every audio forum you have in your favorites list! This foolishness has to stop & just maybe it will. I doubt Monster knew who they were taking on when they sent that damn letter!

I'll say one thing for them, they are aptly named!:mad:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Spread the word fellas to every audio forum you have in your favorites list! This foolishness has to stop & just maybe it will. I doubt Monster knew who they were taking on when they sent that damn letter!
They probably didn't realize this letter would wind up on the Audioholics forums too :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

I'll say one thing for them, they are aptly named!:mad:
It's a pity because even a guy from work whom I advised against buying Monster products, did just that!:( At least he was smart enough not to buy the their high end products which would of cost more than his receiver;). Basically your average joe who doesn't know better is what Monster and their affiliates try and target!!

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's Monster trying to scare the "little" guy out of business. .
AND, what is worse, the business has no relationship to Monster's business:
monster snowbunnies, for one, or a used costume or clothing outfit that had Monster in their name somehow, yet Disney made an agreement with Monster over several of the Monster named movies, etc.
There are websites that follow Monster's lawsuits. They are by the hundreds over the years.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
AND, what is worse, the business has no relationship to Monster's business:
monster snowbunnies, for one, or a used costume or clothing outfit that had Monster in their name somehow, yet Disney made an agreement with Monster over several of the Monster named movies, etc.
There are websites that follow Monster's lawsuits. They are by the hundreds over the years.
Some smart lawyers should get a class-action against those extortionists.

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
Got to post #17 and DIGG this story

Nothing will shut Monster up faster than a call from their PR/Marketing people saying that this action is generating bad publicity. Got back to post number 17, hit the link, and DIGG this story!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

As a rule, what happens when Monster does this sort of thing is that it gets away with it. People are terrified of litigation, especially litigation against large entities with lots of money, and that allows bullies to get away with ridiculous things. I am calm under fire, and there is nothing I hate worse than a bully. As for their size: the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Money can buy lawyers, but it can't buy merits for a meritless case...
Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
Exactly!!! And that is the MO as you indicate. Unfortunately the small mom and pop clothing stores and snow schools for kids are frightened by bullies the likes of Monster.
With your background, I don't see a capitulation to Monster.:D Perhaps a counter suit for a frivolous suit?

Steve Eddy

Steve Eddy

Audioholic Intern
From Clint DeBoer's original article:

Design patents represent nothing more that that: design. There is no technological content within design patents.
So? What has technological content to do with anything? That's why they're called design patents and not utility patents. Fundamentally design patents are really no different than copyright. The only difference is that design patents cover the ornamental or artistic design of a functional object.

If one doesn't feel this is intellectual property worthy of protection, then I don't see how one can make a case for the protection of any sort of intellectual property.

I'm hardly any fan of Monster Cable. But this situation isn't anything like their previous legal actions where they were suing companies using the word "Monster" even when the companies being sued weren't engaging in anything to do with Monster Cable's scope of business.

Blue Jeans Cable chose to buy cheap, ready-made cables from China. A country well-known for knocking off the designs of others.

And do we really need more cheap, Chinese-made goods in this country? Are there any morals or ethics behind this or is it just to make a buck?

se

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
And do we really need more cheap, Chinese-made goods in this country? Are there any morals or ethics behind this or is it just to make a buck?
Sounds like a good question for Monster, good luck getting an answer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

From Clint DeBoer's original article:

So? What has technological content to do with anything? That's why they're called design patents and not utility patents. Fundamentally design patents are really no different than copyright. The only difference is that design patents cover the ornamental or artistic design of a functional object.

If one doesn't feel this is intellectual property worthy of protection, then I don't see how one can make a case for the protection of any sort of intellectual property.

I'm hardly any fan of Monster Cable. But this situation isn't anything like their previous legal actions where they were suing companies using the word "Monster" even when the companies being sued weren't engaging in anything to do with Monster Cable's scope of business.

Blue Jeans Cable chose to buy cheap, ready-made cables from China. A country well-known for knocking off the designs of others.

se
What are you talking about? Blue Jeans cable buy high quality Belden cable. They cut the cable to the length specified by the customer and put on the termination. It is Monster cable peddling the Chinese junk! And by the way, their cables look nothing like Monster cables.

moggi1964

moggi1964

Audioholic
Man of my word: got 100ft of 12 guage.

Arrives tomorrow :)

Go BJC :cool:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
What are you talking about? Blue Jeans cable buy high quality Belden cable. They cut the cable to the length specified by the customer and put on the termination. It is Monster cable peddling the Chinese junk! And by the way, their cables look nothing like Monster cables.
Yeah, that was confusing, BJC imported a line of Chinese cables????? I think he's got his cables crossed (no pun intended:p)!

Steve Eddy

Steve Eddy

Audioholic Intern
Yes, that's Blue Jeans Cable.

But the brouhaha here is over Blue Jeans' Tartan brand cables which are just cheap, ready-made cables from China.

http://www.tartancable.com

se

Steve Eddy

Steve Eddy

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, that was confusing, BJC imported a line of Chinese cables????? I think he's got his cables crossed (no pun intended:p)!
Nope. No crossed cables at all.

Some of you need to take a little time and actually read what's been written and do a little research.

se

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis