JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Silence of the Lambs 4K HDR, JVC NZ3, Kodi v18.5 vs Plex:

Kodi (Left) is improving on their HDR tone-mappin. But still lacking compared to Plex (Right).
Is your PC outputting an HDR signal to your projector?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No. The only HDR-pass-through was via the Sony X700.

Kodi and Plex are doing the HDR conversion/tone mapping.
Ah, makes sense.

You sure you don't want help setting up DS player to output HDR when you play an HDR movie? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, makes sense.

You sure you don't want help setting up DS player to output HDR when you play an HDR movie? :)
Did you do anything different other than installing and setting the audio bitstream?

I was able to get DSPlayer to output HDR. However, it was just unstable. After each HDR movie was stopped, the Screen Resolution was set to like 480p or something and sometimes went black and crashed.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Did you do anything different other than installing and setting the audio bitstream?

I was able to get DSPlayer to output HDR. However, it was just unstable. After each HDR movie was stopped, the Screen Resolution was set to like 480p or something and sometimes went black and crashed.
Yes, I used a setup guide and it worked quite well. Still does actually.

I'll test again on one of my HDR capable TVs when time allows and make sure it all still works. Once I do that I'll send my settings.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
JVC NZ3 Plex 4K 60Hz HTPC, Content is 4K HDR10, but NZ3 does not say “HDR10”.

JVC NZ3 with Sony X700 4K 24Hz. Content is 4K 24Hz HDR10, JVC NZ3 reads “4K 24Hz HDR10”.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I've been under the weather for the past few days I decided to upload the new firmware. My first impression is WOW. I've cycled through a few titles and the frame adapt HDR is amazing. I loved the picture before the update, now I'm simply stunned.

I haven't touched anything else, I can't find the DTM in the menu so I'll have to assume it's on auto for now.

More viewing for now, @AcuDefTechGuy upload it and let us know what your think as well.
Did you have to format the flash drive before the JVC could recognize it?

I just copied the firmware folder (after unzipping) in to the flash drive, but the JVC would not recognize the flash drive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Kodi, JVC NZ3, 4K HDR.

Last edited:
G

granosalis

Enthusiast
Hello to all, this is my first message here. I found the forum searching for JVC LX-NZ3 which I have ordered some days ago. :)
I was very happy to read the quick review made by AcuDefTechGuy, which is very promising. In fact, apart from the very first review of the JVC (which is quite cold I would say) made by projectors reviews, and a pretty negative preview :mad: (using a pre-production sample) made by Gregory on his French web site, you can hardly find anything. I would have gladly bought an NX5, but size, price and other deciding factors, one before all the non dedicated room, drive me to the NZ3.
I hope I made the right choice but this I'll understand just when I have chance to try the projector by myself. While I wait, I have some questions regarding the source.
Which is better between Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shiled TV(non pro)? Unfortunately the nvidia shiled TV pro is currently unavailable in Europe.
Which is better between Panasonic UB820 and Sony X700?

thank you very much for your valuable information.
Regards,
Giuseppe

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello to all, this is my first message here. I found the forum searching for JVC LX-NZ3 which I have ordered some days ago. :)
I was very happy to read the quick review made by AcuDefTechGuy, which is very promising. In fact, apart from the very first review of the JVC (which is quite cold I would say) made by projectors reviews, and a pretty negative preview :mad: (using a pre-production sample) made by Gregory on his French web site, you can hardly find anything. I would have gladly bought an NX5, but size, price and other deciding factors, one before all the non dedicated room, drive me to the NZ3.
I hope I made the right choice but this I'll understand just when I have chance to try the projector by myself. While I wait, I have some questions regarding the source.
Which is better between Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shiled TV(non pro)? Unfortunately the nvidia shiled TV pro is currently unavailable in Europe.
Which is better between Panasonic UB820 and Sony X700?

thank you very much for your valuable information.
Regards,
Giuseppe
I've spent over 200 hours now with the NZ3.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the picture quality of the NZ3. The colors look extremely vibrant as long as the source is vibrant even on 720p video.

99% of the time I am using Desktop Plex on my PC watching 4K HDR movies and 2K TV shows.

Because desktop Plex does not Pass-through HDR, Plex does it's own tone-mapping and converts the HDR to SDR. Thus the JVC PJ is not doing the HDR tone-mapping with desktop Plex.

However, I am extremely happy with the results.

I have tried the $200 Shield Pro using both Plex and Kodi to Pass-through 4K HDR to the NZ3. It looks great, but not any better than the desktop Plex. So I returned the $200 Shield Pro yesterday to Best Buy store and will continue to use the Plex desktop on my PC.

I do also have the Sony X700. The HDR pass-through is awesome. But I only use this to demo for clients, family, and friends just to compare to Plex, which looks just as awesome to me.

Cons:

1. The biggest thing I wish was better on the NZ3 is the Lens system, which I've mentioned before. When it gets cold, the lens would shift down a little. Then when the projector gets hot, the lens would shift up again.

So when I first start the PJ, I would have to manually shift the lens up. Then when the PJ gets hot, the lens would shift up, I would have to manually shift the lens down. :D

I wish they had spent more money and made the lens system as robust as the NX5.

2. On Normal lamp mode, the fan is audible. However, because the NZ3 is extremely bright (24 FT distance from PJ to 150-Inch Screen), there is no need to use Normal Lamp mode, even for 4K HDR (you can manually change from Normal to Eco when watching 4K HDR).

In Eco Lamp mode, I can't hear the fan. It uses e-Shift for the 4K. Good news is that I don't hear any kind of noise for the e-Shift. I heard this was an issue for some eShift PJ, even the JVC eShift LCoS PJ. But I have not heard any kind of noise at all on the NZ3 for the 4K eShift.

Last edited:
G

granosalis

Enthusiast
I've spent over 200 hours now with the NZ3.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the picture quality of the NZ3. The colors look extremely vibrant as long as the source is vibrant even on 720p video.

99% of the time I am using Desktop Plex on my PC watching 4K HDR movies and 2K TV shows.

Because desktop Plex does not Pass-through HDR, Plex does it's own tone-mapping and converts the HDR to SDR. Thus the JVC PJ is not doing the HDR tone-mapping with desktop Plex.

However, I am extremely happy with the results.

I have tried the $200 Shield Pro using both Plex and Kodi to Pass-through 4K HDR to the NZ3. It looks great, but not any better than the desktop Plex. So I returned the $200 Shield Pro yesterday to Best Buy store and will continue to use the Plex desktop on my PC.

I do also have the Sony X700. The HDR pass-through is awesome. But I only use this to demo for clients, family, and friends just to compare to Plex, which looks just as awesome to me.

Cons:

1. The biggest thing I wish was better on the NZ3 is the Lens system, which I've mentioned before. When it gets cold, the lens would shift down a little. Then when the projector gets hot, the lens would shift up again.

So when I first start the PJ, I would have manually shift the lens up. Then when the PJ gets hot, the lens would shift up, I would have to manually shift the lens down. :D

I wish they had spent more money and made the lens system as robust as the NX5.

2. On Normal lamp mode, the fan is audible. However, because the NZ3 is extremely bright (24 FT distance from PJ to 150-Inch Screen), there is no need to use Normal Lamp mode, even for 4K HDR (you can manually change from Normal to Eco when watching 4K HDR).

In Eco Lamp mode, I can't hear the fan. It uses e-Shift for the 4K. Good news is that I don't hear any kind of noise for the e-Shift. I heard this was an issue for some eShift PJ, even the JVC eShift LCoS PJ. But I have not heard any kind of noise at all on the NZ3 for the 4K eShift.
In this price range, I'd be happy if the JVC was better than epson 5050UB, which was the main contender of the NZ3. Have you made some comparison with the Epson?
The focus shift looks annoying, but I can live with it. For the noise, as you said, the Normal lamp mode is the way to go.
I don't want to use my laptop, so I would go for the Apple TV 4K, as my main source is Netflix and Sat TV. Thanks!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In this price range, I'd be happy if the JVC was better than epson 5050UB, which was the main contender of the NZ3. Have you made some comparison with the Epson?
The focus shift looks annoying, but I can live with it. For the noise, as you said, the Normal lamp mode is the way to go.
I don't want to use my laptop, so I would go for the Apple TV 4K, as my main source is Netflix and Sat TV. Thanks!
I've seen the Epson (Magnolia HT), but not side-by-side with the NZ3. So comparison by memory won't be as accurate. But I will say that I would still take the NZ3 over the Epson.

I have compared the NZ3 vs NX5 side-by-side.

IMO, bottom line is - JVC knows how to make a PJ with a great picture.

Economy (LOW) Lamp mode is the way to go, not Normal (which means HIGH).

Yeah, the mechanical VERTICAL lens shift can by annoying. I had the same issue with my BenQ PJ for the last 8 years, so I've been putting up with that for a long time.

Actually, with my BenQ W6000, the lens shift was both Vertical and Horizontal. The NZ3 lens shift issue is just Vertical.

The Brightness and PQ are awesome, though. So if I can get this kind of Brightness and PQ for the next 20K+ hours, it's still worth it.

Last edited:
G

granosalis

Enthusiast
Economy (LOW) Lamp mode is the way to go, not Normal (which means HIGH).
Thanks for the clarification regarding lamp mode, I thought there was high, normal, low. I'll go for Low.
I think JVC has slightly higher cost, but as you say it should be justified by a higher quality.
Do you have a good HDMI cable to suggest?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the clarification regarding lamp mode, I thought there was high, normal, low. I'll go for Low.
I think JVC has slightly higher cost, but as you say it should be justified by a higher quality.
Do you have a good HDMI cable to suggest?
I use the BlueRiggers and Kabeldirekt HDMI 2.0 cables from Amazon. Both work fine as long as the distance is no more than 50FT. For longer length, you would need a $20 HDMI Repeater/Booster.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I got my JVC LX-NZ3B (B = Black, W = White) so I’ve been watching a lot of movies and TV series yesterday. Will be posting some pictures later, but just wanted to give my initial impression.

This is a Native 2K Laser DLP projector w/ e-Shift to 3180x2160p 60/24 Hz resolution.

Settings.
PJ distance from screen: 23.5 FT
Screen size: 150-Inch, 16:9 Ratio
Lamp Mode: Economy (Instead of Normal)
Picture Mode: Natural (Instead of Cinema or Dynamic)

Picture Quality: Awesome!

IMO, If the NX7 is a 100%, the NZ5 is a 98%, and the NZ3 is an 85%.

I think it’s the NZ3 is THAT Awesome!

The black level of the NZ3 isn’t quite as detailed and awesome as the NX5/NX7, but it is better than or at least as good as any Epson, Optoma, and BenQ PJ I’ve seen In the $3-4K MSRP Range.

The picture quality of the NZ3 makes movies and TV shows (720p, 1080p, 2160p) look so vibrant and “pop” with just the “Natural“ Picture Mode and Economy Lamp Mode. And again, this is on a 150” Screen from about 24FT distance.

As a side note, the Remote Control of the NX5 and NZ3 are not “interchangeable“. The NZ3 Remote does not work for the NX5 and vice versa.

Negatives/Cons:
1. Noise level can be audible (spec says 34 dB) if Lamp Mode is set to Normal, instead of Economy. Noise level in Normal Mode is about the same as my BenQ W6000.

2. It’s not a Native 4K. So you won’t get true 4K resolution. But I plan on using the NZ3 as a “daily workhorse“ for watching mostly 2K anyway. I’ll reserve the best 4K movies for the NX5.

Conclusion: I think I am in love with the new JVC LX-NZ3 Laser projector. I think the picture quality is truly awesome at any price, but especially at this price range. I will most definitely be using the NZ3 as my daily projector. And I think anyone who doesn’t have the budget for the NX5/NX7 will absolutely love the picture quality and brightness level of the NZ3.
So dlp tv died , laser tv never made the tv market but both technology are still prime high end for projector world ??
Very cool hope someday I can afford one . Does each brand have its own signature look like TVs ?

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
I use the BlueRiggers and Kabeldirekt HDMI 2.0 cables from Amazon. Both work fine as long as the distance is no more than 50FT. For longer length, you would need a $20 HDMI Repeater/Booster.
Thanks. And what about Optical HDMI cables? It's worth it?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. And what about Optical HDMI cables? It's worth it?
Fiber optic HDMI are supposed to work even for 1,000 FT cable length. So probably worth it if you have length over 50FT.

My Kabeldirekt 50FT HDMI 2.0 cable works perfectly for 4K 60Hz HDR10. The HDMI cable from my Yamaha to the wall Kabeldirekt cable is another 10FT.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Apart from the lenght, did you see any advantage in image quality?
Nope. :D

Same Video Audio Quality as the KabelDirekt HDMI 2.0 cables, at least to my eyes.

Now if you paid $400 for some brand name Fiber Optic HDMI (like a friend of mine did after I got him his JVC NX7), then you might "SEE" a difference regardless of length. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does each brand have its own signature look like TVs ?
Picture Quality will be different, especially the Black Levels. The higher-end JVC LCoS will have the best PQ and especially Black Levels.

Factory Picture Presets will be different.The JVC "Natural" setting will look different than other brands equivalent of "Natural".

DLP will look different than LCoS.

Will DLP have much brighter (lumens) picture than LCoS?

The NZ3 has 3,000 Lumens (probably Normal Lamp Mode). But you can easily tell that even the Economy Lamp mode looks extremely bright.

Now the NX5 in Economy Lamp mode is already very bright in a darken room. But it probably won't be as bright after 2,000 hours. Lasers are supposed to retain the brightness for almost the entire 20,000 hours.

Of course, we all have different opinions. But if I could choose between the JVC NX5 vs NZ3, I would take something IN BETWEEN. :D

I want the 3,000 Lumens of the NZ3, but the awesome robust Power Lens shift system of the NX5.

Sure, the overall PQ of the NZ3 is definitely not as awesome as the NX5 and NX7. But I am willing to give up about 15-20% of the picture quality and get Brighter Laser PJ at a lower price.

The MSRP of the NZ3 is $3,700. If they could implement the same awesome power lens system of the NX5, the MSRP could be $4,500, maybe less?

So for me personally, for the PRICE, the ONLY true negative thing about the NZ3 is the cheaper manual lens system. Other than that, I'm am extremely happy with the overall PQ.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis