JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
Since I've been under the weather for the past few days I decided to upload the new firmware. My first impression is WOW. I've cycled through a few titles and the frame adapt HDR is amazing. I loved the picture before the update, now I'm simply stunned.

I haven't touched anything else, I can't find the DTM in the menu so I'll have to assume it's on auto for now.

More viewing for now, @AcuDefTechGuy upload it and let us know what your think as well.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Dynamic Tone Mapping does default to Auto.. I knew you would be impressed. :D Glad to hear you got it going!
Sorry to hear you are under the weather, though!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I've been under the weather for the past few days I decided to upload the new firmware. My first impression is WOW. I've cycled through a few titles and the frame adapt HDR is amazing. I loved the picture before the update, now I'm simply stunned.

I haven't touched anything else, I can't find the DTM in the menu so I'll have to assume it's on auto for now.

More viewing for now, @AcuDefTechGuy upload it and let us know what your think as well.
Sweet. Will give it a try. I’ve already downloaded the firmware to my PC. But I need to transfer it to a flash drive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like the new JVC NZ3 are available in many places now.

I plan on getting one in January. Just want to see if there are any bugs reported first. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Seems like the new JVC NZ3 are available in many places now.

I plan on getting one in January. Just want to see if there are any bugs reported first. :D
Planning a side my side comparison?

I'll gladly take the loser of the comparison off your hands. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Planning a side my side comparison?

I'll gladly take the loser of the comparison off your hands. :)
I’m sure you would. :D

As a JVC dealer and all, it’s only my duty to have both projectors. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Neat. Eager to hear your impressions.

You ever do that magical firmware update on the NX5 everyone was talking about?
I still haven't updated the firmware.

So many things to do, so little time.

My NZ3 should be here next Tuesday or Wednesday. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got my JVC LX-NZ3B (B = Black, W = White) so I’ve been watching a lot of movies and TV series yesterday. Will be posting some pictures later, but just wanted to give my initial impression.

This is a Native 2K Laser DLP projector w/ e-Shift to 3180x2160p 60/24 Hz resolution.

Settings.
PJ distance from screen: 23.5 FT
Screen size: 150-Inch, 16:9 Ratio
Lamp Mode: Economy (Instead of Normal)
Picture Mode: Natural (Instead of Cinema or Dynamic)

Picture Quality: Awesome!

IMO, If the NX7 is a 100%, the NZ5 is a 98%, and the NZ3 is an 85%.

I think it’s the NZ3 is THAT Awesome!

The black level of the NZ3 isn’t quite as detailed and awesome as the NX5/NX7, but it is better than or at least as good as any Epson, Optoma, and BenQ PJ I’ve seen In the $3-4K MSRP Range.

The picture quality of the NZ3 makes movies and TV shows (720p, 1080p, 2160p) look so vibrant and “pop” with just the “Natural“ Picture Mode and Economy Lamp Mode. And again, this is on a 150” Screen from about 24FT distance.

As a side note, the Remote Control of the NX5 and NZ3 are not “interchangeable“. The NZ3 Remote does not work for the NX5 and vice versa.

Negatives/Cons:
1. Noise level can be audible (spec says 34 dB) if Lamp Mode is set to Normal, instead of Economy. Noise level in Normal Mode is about the same as my BenQ W6000.

2. It’s not a Native 4K. So you won’t get true 4K resolution. But I plan on using the NZ3 as a “daily workhorse“ for watching mostly 2K anyway. I’ll reserve the best 4K movies for the NX5.

Conclusion: I think I am in love with the new JVC LX-NZ3 Laser projector. I think the picture quality is truly awesome at any price, but especially at this price range. I will most definitely be using the NZ3 as my daily projector. And I think anyone who doesn’t have the budget for the NX5/NX7 will absolutely love the picture quality and brightness level of the NZ3.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So IMO, the NZ3 is very good with HDR and SDR.

It’s not fair to compare the black levels of the NZ3 to the NX5 that costs almost twice as much. Not even the $5K Sony Native-4K PJ can stand a chance against the NX5.

But I think the black levels look great compared to the other Projectors in the $4K Range.

One issue I’ve encountered is yet again the infamous HDMI handshake. I had to try a few different HDMI cables, some were HDMI 2.0b. But 1 cable would work and another would not work.

The NX5 seems a lot more flexible; every HDMI cable worked.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Silence of the Lambs 4K HDR, JVC NZ3, Kodi v18.5 vs Plex:

Kodi (Left) is improving on their HDR tone-mapping. But still lacking compared to Plex (Right).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis