JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm selfishly hoping they come with VRR too. If I could plug my pc into my projector and have 4k 120hz VRR I'd be very happy. That could be a pretty excellent experience.
Just recently set up my NX5. I love it! Looks fantastic. I've been tinkering with the "theater Optimizer" setting for a couple of nights. I feel that when it's on, dialogue in movies and tv don't match up 100%. Then when I turn it off, everything seems normal. I'm still utilizing the frame adapt HDR and doing frame-by-frame. The picture in movies is just amazing. Re-watching Game of Thrones on 4k and it's like a whole new experience watching in 4k with way better sound details vs watching it on cable when it aired.

My hope for JVC's revamp/upgrades later this year or early next year, would be to improve theater optimizer, which is mainly software, but also add the 4k/120hz chips and add HDMI 2.1.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Just recently set up my NX5. I love it! Looks fantastic. I've been tinkering with the "theater Optimizer" setting for a couple of nights. I feel that when it's on, dialogue in movies and tv don't match up 100%. Then when I turn it off, everything seems normal. I'm still utilizing the frame adapt HDR and doing frame-by-frame. The picture in movies is just amazing. Re-watching Game of Thrones on 4k and it's like a whole new experience watching in 4k with way better sound details vs watching it on cable when it aired.

My hope for JVC's revamp/upgrades later this year or early next year, would be to improve theater optimizer, which is mainly software, but also add the 4k/120hz chips and add HDMI 2.1.
Yea i love being able to watch movies in 4k via the physical disc itself. The quality is right up there. I have always been a pioneer for physical disc format. I refuse to waste my projector lamp on Netflix and the like. I do like Netflix though, but it has its place in my lounge room only. I have been thinking of investing in Game Of Thrones on 4k disc and might just do that.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't expect that we will see any upgrades to an existing projector, but perhaps.

I'm wondering how long until JVC starts having that HDMI 2.1 support on their models. I imagine that they could fully support HDMI 2.1 with 4K/120hz support at the very least. The fact that they already are doing 8K pixel shifting with their RS3000 leads me to believe that they really should be a top tier candidate to lead the way with 8K support, and absolutely with 4K/120hz support as I believe they've been pretty solid with their lag times.

I'm going to rock my X590 for another 10 years, so I'm not in any rush. Gotta finish my basement and the 'theater' area before I even consider an actual projector upgrade.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to CEDIA, so hopefully I can report on any new models JVC introduces.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I don't expect that we will see any upgrades to an existing projector, but perhaps.

I'm wondering how long until JVC starts having that HDMI 2.1 support on their models. I imagine that they could fully support HDMI 2.1 with 4K/120hz support at the very least. The fact that they already are doing 8K pixel shifting with their RS3000 leads me to believe that they really should be a top tier candidate to lead the way with 8K support, and absolutely with 4K/120hz support as I believe they've been pretty solid with their lag times.

I'm going to rock my X590 for another 10 years, so I'm not in any rush. Gotta finish my basement and the 'theater' area before I even consider an actual projector upgrade.
Yeah, I'll be rocking the NX5 for awhile before making another upgrade. I really am interested in seeing where JVC is going to go with Laser projectors. That will be my next upgrade. Get away from bulbs and get laser.

I think 4k/120hz will be the new standard in less than 3 years.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think 4k/120hz will be the new standard in less than 3 years.
Only reason I doubt this is because projectors (and TV's really) won't ever see true 4k 120hz content. RIght now (and probably in the future) game consoles are the only thing that supports this resolution/frame rate. The rest of the content out there will be 4k/60, 4k/30, or 4k/24. Hopefully they don't decide to film movies at higher frame rates like they've tried in the past. People don't tend to like it.

What would be great is if they made good "gaming" projectors that were good for movies as well. That's what I'd love to have. 4k/120 with VRR and everything else. Yes please.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Only reason I doubt this is because projectors (and TV's really) won't ever see true 4k 120hz content. RIght now (and probably in the future) game consoles are the only thing that supports this resolution/frame rate. The rest of the content out there will be 4k/60, 4k/30, or 4k/24. Hopefully they don't decide to film movies at higher frame rates like they've tried in the past. People don't tend to like it.

What would be great is if they made good "gaming" projectors that were good for movies as well. That's what I'd love to have. 4k/120 with VRR and everything else. Yes please.
I've gotta agree with @Movie2099 on this.

Most projectors are already capable of 120hz refresh rates. That's how they are delivering 3D and other functionality to end users and how eShift technologies have worked. So, if you start with a native 4K chip that can eShift and produce a couple of frames for every single frame, then it is already handling 120hz just fine.

So, the only thing that really has to happen is they need to add the front line inputs to accept 120hz. Processing has gotten insanely cheap. LG is doing it on their OLED TVs and Sony does it on their 900 series. So, if the processing is cheap, then it's just about implementation. It's basically a near zero cost upgrade/feature for end users.

They already make 'gaming' projectors. Optoma has a entire series they label the 'Game Time' (GT) series of projectors. But, they are all pretty entry level.

The real goal of any manufacturer should be to add as many zero cost features as possible to broaden your target audience without impacting your production costs. This is why 3D is still a feature of JVC projectors. It's a near zero cost addition to maintain. Having pixel shifting to enhance resolution is also inexpensive to do.

So, I fully expect that any engineer/marketing team worth their paycheck will be looking into this.

What isn't a zero cost upgrade is moving from a lamp to a laser as the light engine. This is perhaps the biggest question mark. How long can they realistically get away with making lamp-based projectors as others move towards lasers? I think JVC doesn't do themselves any favors when they release a VERY good looking laser projector for under $4,000 that's got plenty of brightness, then continue to use lamps in their LCoS models that cost a fair bit more. Eventually, they've got to go to lasers across the board. I'm not sure what will be the actual catalyst which will force JVC, Sony, and Epson to replace their lineup with laser-based light engines.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I've gotta agree with @Movie2099 on this.

Most projectors are already capable of 120hz refresh rates. That's how they are delivering 3D and other functionality to end users and how eShift technologies have worked. So, if you start with a native 4K chip that can eShift and produce a couple of frames for every single frame, then it is already handling 120hz just fine.

So, the only thing that really has to happen is they need to add the front line inputs to accept 120hz. Processing has gotten insanely cheap. LG is doing it on their OLED TVs and Sony does it on their 900 series. So, if the processing is cheap, then it's just about implementation. It's basically a near zero cost upgrade/feature for end users.

They already make 'gaming' projectors. Optoma has a entire series they label the 'Game Time' (GT) series of projectors. But, they are all pretty entry level.

The real goal of any manufacturer should be to add as many zero cost features as possible to broaden your target audience without impacting your production costs. This is why 3D is still a feature of JVC projectors. It's a near zero cost addition to maintain. Having pixel shifting to enhance resolution is also inexpensive to do.

So, I fully expect that any engineer/marketing team worth their paycheck will be looking into this.

What isn't a zero cost upgrade is moving from a lamp to a laser as the light engine. This is perhaps the biggest question mark. How long can they realistically get away with making lamp-based projectors as others move towards lasers? I think JVC doesn't do themselves any favors when they release a VERY good looking laser projector for under $4,000 that's got plenty of brightness, then continue to use lamps in their LCoS models that cost a fair bit more. Eventually, they've got to go to lasers across the board. I'm not sure what will be the actual catalyst which will force JVC, Sony, and Epson to replace their lineup with laser-based light engines.
I agree. I hope we start seeing some lower prices for some of these projectors. I get true 4k laser will be high for quite some time, but these bulb projectors have to start coming down a bit. With these chipsets getting cheaper and cheaper I would hope these projector companies start loading up on the good stuff that won't increase the cost by a large margin.

I still think we're a few years or more away from true 8k projectors. I can't imagine what they'll cost. But we need to get these true 4k prices down. No reason why an entry level model can't cost around $3k. They are getting close with Sony's entry model around $4500 but I still think it should be lower.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
JVC released a small teaser about their upcoming 8K Laser projector. Could be released end of 2021.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Awesome! Would be great if they could reduce the price of their 4K models a bit.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Awesome! Would be great if they could reduce the price of their 4K models a bit.
The rumor mill has JVC releasing all new laser 4K models to replace the current 5,7 and 9 models. Which is awesome. I think laser is the way to go. Will be more expensive for now, but eventually come down in price. Rumor mill also has these new 4K lasers coming with more lumens. 2000, 2500 and 3000.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For those who haven't seen it, JVC has dropped a 8K teaser trailer a few days ago...

Hetronnn

Hetronnn

Audiophyte
Whoopee!! The new firmware is out with the new DTM and anamorphic lens fix, etc. Hot off the press. Now to finish my theater and get that puppy up and running!

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/ time tracking software
<div data-xf-p="1"><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">For some reason I used to think that my projector is not suitable for the new firmware, but I was wrong Now I will go to update my pointer. Thanks for the link)</div>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis