Interesting observations on budget subwoofers.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
William is correct, carpet and padding won't change the inherent properties of the structure. It will certainly help dampen the sound, which is likely to diminish things like reverberation, but the concrete will still be a problem.
So, based on your opinion, if you, with your own money, bought (2) subs, would you buy, based on the test numbers and such out there, put your money on the Dayton Sub-1200's or ELAC S10EQ's? Or....am I completely missing some other "inexpensive" subs that I havent even thought about? I dont need head exploding bass.....but punchy would be good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So, based on your opinion, if you, with your own money, bought (2) subs, would you buy, based on the test numbers and such out there, put your money on the Dayton Sub-1200's or ELAC S10EQ's? Or....am I completely missing some other "inexpensive" subs that I havent even thought about? I dont need head exploding bass.....but punchy would be good.
For my money, in this price range I would personally opt for the Dayton’s. 1200 or 1500. As jman said, the bic is probably more linear, but it won’t matter if you can’t hear it.
Do you have an actual hard limit on budget?

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
For my money, in this price range I would personally opt for the Dayton’s. 1200 or 1500. As jman said, the bic is probably more linear, but it won’t matter if you can’t hear it.
Do you have an actual hard limit on budget?
Pretty firm.....I mean...the issues that cropped up took a significant toll on the budget for the remodel (which I did myself-being a general contractor on the side. Law Enforcement is my full-time gig). I really get a kick out of having "decent" systems that cost waaaay less than people would think. This will be our HT in the house for movies, and we are not audiophiles by any stretch. I might get laughed at, but following this "bang-for-your-buck" mentality I actually installed Micca In-Wall's and In-Ceilings for the 7 channels. Have used them in other set-ups and have always been pretty darn happy with them.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
OK....so just found (2) PL-200II's for $350 on Facebook marketplace. Better option?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
William is correct, carpet and padding won't change the inherent properties of the structure. It will certainly help dampen the sound, which is likely to diminish things like reverberation, but the concrete will still be a problem.
OK....so just found (2) PL-200II's for $350 on Facebook marketplace. Better option?
Just a tip, so Jman will get quicker notice (depending on his settings) you should either add @theJman in the body of your text or you can hit reply at the bottom of his text that you are responding to.
I did both for you, so he will get "pinged" twice. Generally it is bad form to have redundant pings, but I make an exception for myself because that is the kind of guy I am! ;)

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Just a tip, so Jman will get quicker notice (depending on his settings) you should either add @theJman in the body of your text or you can hit reply at the bottom of his text that you are responding to.
I did both for you, so he will get "pinged" twice. Generally it is bad form to have redundant pings, but I make an exception for myself because that is the kind of guy I am! ;)
So then whats your take? (2) SUB-1200's or (2) PL-200ii's? Or something completely different all together? (<-See what I did there!)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Jman said the bic is the better option before. That’s a great deal on the bic if is in good condition. It’s has more power than the great 1200 as well.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Jman said the bic is the better option before. That’s a great deal on the bic if is in good condition. It’s has more power than the great 1200 as well.
Yeah....was wondering if the (2) BICs....for $350 TOTAL for both of them together.....would be sufficient for my space.....which I am assuming would be a yes, but just want to make sure.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah....was wondering if the (2) BICs would be sufficient for my space.....which I am assuming would be a yes, but just want to make sure.
If you adhere to the previous advice you should be fine. Make sure you bring a favorite bass cd and Blu-ray to get an idea if the sub is in good working condition and of course haggle.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So then whats your take? (2) SUB-1200's or (2) PL-200ii's? Or something completely different all together? (<-See what I did there!)
I have never heard teh BIC, so cannot comment on it.
However, theJman said:
For what they do, the BIC subwoofers are pretty solid offerings. For sound quality the PL-200 bests the SUB-1200, but given that you can get a pair of the latter for the same price as one of the former makes the Dayton rather enticing. That may become even more critical because of two things; the size of the room and the word "basement".
To me that is not conclusive, so I hope he makes it back soon!
He says the sound quality is better, so that is a strong plus, but he does not address SPL which is a concern. If I had to gamble, I expect the BIC is equivalent or better for output (SPL), but wouldn't bet anything precious to me!
Jman is really the guy to answer this. I know no one else who had heard so many subs in the <$450 price range!

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Well....update. The dude who was going to sell me the (2) PL-200ii's decided to raise the price and still sold them out from under me...after we had worked out a time for me to pick them up tomorrow. Some people man.....Karma will get him.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well....update. The dude who was going to sell me the (2) PL-200ii's decided to raise the price and still sold them out from under me...after we had worked out a time for me to pick them up tomorrow. Some people man.....Karma will get him.
Maybe there were issues with it anyway. 1200 are still waiting for ya.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Yeah....was wondering if the (2) BICs....for $350 TOTAL for both of them together.....would be sufficient for my space.....which I am assuming would be a yes, but just want to make sure.
My guess is you wouldn't have found them to be sufficient. On a suspended wood floor - the kind typically found starting with the first floor of a house that has a basement - a pair of budget subs might be OK for a room the size of yours, but you may be underestimating the negative affect concrete has on low frequency bass waves. That's not to say the subs will be invisible, or inaudible in this case, but they certainly won't be able to perform like they could given a different substrate.

That's what I figured. And I'll still be saving money!
Speaking of that, what's your time frame to make a purchase? Is it possible to push it out a little and perhaps save a few more bucks to get something a bit larger? Also, did you get a chance to check out those Chane subwoofers? The entry model won't necessarily be a powerhouse, but I'd be willing to bet it's better than the Dayton or BIC. The model 300 sounds quite intriguing as well.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
We noticed that about you Kurt. :p

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
My guess is you wouldn't have found them to be sufficient. On a suspended wood floor - the kind typically found starting with the first floor of a house that has a basement - a pair of budget subs might be OK for a room the size of yours, but you may be underestimating the negative affect concrete has on low frequency bass waves. That's not to say the subs will be invisible, or inaudible in this case, but they certainly won't be able to perform like they could given a different substrate.

Speaking of that, what's your time frame to make a purchase? Is it possible to push it out a little and perhaps save a few more bucks to get something a bit larger? Also, did you get a chance to check out those Chane subwoofers? The entry model won't necessarily be a powerhouse, but I'd be willing to bet it's better than the Dayton or BIC. The model 300 sounds quite intriguing as well.
Well... After talking to my wife, she felt bad for me. She said that I have done a lot of work on the basement remodel, and with all the stress of being in law enforcement now at days, she said she would dig into a "reserve fund" to let me get what I want. Being that I am not trying to bankrupt the household, I have now decided on getting a HSU VTF2.5! Yup... Definitely over the budget I had set for myself, but I figure this is a "buy one, cry once" situation. I think that is what I will go for an long as it physically firs with the layout we have in mind. I should know by the middle of next week.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Well... After talking to my wife, she felt bad for me. She said that I have done a lot of work on the basement remodel, and with all the stress of being in law enforcement now at days, she said she would dig into a "reserve fund" to let me get what I want. Being that I am not trying to bankrupt the household, I have now decided on getting a HSU VTF2.5! Yup... Definitely over the budget I had set for myself, but I figure this is a "buy one, cry once" situation. I think that is what I will go for an long as it physically firs with the layout we have in mind. I should know by the middle of next week.
That is a great choice. It is a powerful 12” sub at a attractive price point.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
This is how I sell poop to my wife..... I’m 42, kids are grown, we don’t go out. Watch a ton of movies, I game, etc. spend a ton of time chilling in the living room. I’m dropping money here to make it prime. I could go make it rain on a bitch, or I could make it rain across this dynamic range.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
This is how I sell poop to my wife..... I’m 42, kids are grown, we don’t go out. Watch a ton of movies, I game, etc. spend a ton of time chilling in the living room. I’m dropping money here to make it prime. I could go make it rain on a bitch, or I could make it rain across this dynamic range.
I don't know you, but I feel like I AM you! Haha! 42, kid still at home, and this is what we have decided. Going to try to make this space the "hangout" for when she (daughter) starts having sleep overs and such. Electronic dart board, pool table, popcorn machine.... The works. One thing about the wife and I, we don't spend frivolously, as we try to smartly instead.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
have now decided on getting a HSU VTF2.5!
I don't remember the space you are dealing with, but these are generally very well regarded subs. There should be no crying on your part! :)
Relax, Enjoy, and have a great time!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis