Interesting observations on budget subwoofers.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What a great thread @KEW Good going!!

Can I please ask, what's the cheapest good sub with a smartphone app?

I'm googling this for days but phones keep popping up, subs, not so much.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
What a great thread @KEW Good going!!

Can I please ask, what's the cheapest good sub with a smartphone app?

I'm googling this for days but phones keep popping up, subs, not so much.

It shows that this sub is still available for shipping. Almost went this route, but I don't know what your room dimensions and such are.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
with all the stress of being in law enforcement now at days
Don't know where your Law Enforcement. Don't know how many Year in you have. I'm retired NYPD. Still involved with the PBA. If your still on the Streets. My suggestion for you. GET OUT!!!

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Don't know where your Law Enforcement. Don't know how many Year in you have. I'm retired NYPD. Still involved with the PBA. If your still on the Streets. My suggestion for you. GET OUT!!!
Trust me... If I was still on patrol I would GTFO ASAP. I'm a Sergeant at a Sheriff's Office in northern VA. We don't do patrol (I supervise the courts, but we also do transports and the jail which is temporary holding only) 17 years in....8 to go!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

It shows that this sub is still available for shipping. Almost went this route, but I don't know what your room dimensions and such are.
Damn, this is good!! 99$ for Elac on clearance, 10", 400W?? This is crazy. Even if it's double or triple the price in my country, it's still a bargain.

LATER EDIT: Not available in my parts.

Last edited:
B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
@KEW @theJman So I can buy a Hsu VTF-15H for $400 in excellent condition used. Is that a solid buy if it is in good shape? It is 7 years old. I thought I saw something about the amps from around that time having issues. Not to derail the thread, but thought I would ask. Best I can tell is that there isnt a mark on it, and it looks like it was barely used (according to the pictures). Or would a newer VTF2.5 be better?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW @theJman So I can buy a Hsu VTF-15H for $400 in excellent condition used. Is that a solid buy if it is in good shape? It is 7 years old. I thought I saw something about the amps from around that time having issues. Not to derail the thread, but thought I would ask. Best I can tell is that there isnt a mark on it, and it looks like it was barely used (according to the pictures). Or would a newer VTF2.5 be better?
I have never actually heard a Hsu subwoofer!
I admire them because they generally bring a level of performance which is better than the competition at most any price-point and they offer a good range of "tunability" to help them integrate with your room gain!
I would call Hsu and ask what a replacement amp costs for an additional data point for your decision. While you are asking that, ask about how often there are problems and if something specific usually causes the failures or anything you should look at before you buy!
7 years is generally not a big concern as far as the mechanics of the speaker. The info you get from talking with Hsu should help you have more confidence in your decision. If the Hsu is obviously well cared for I would not hesitate at $400, if it is beatup, make an lower offer if you still feel good about it working fine.

Last edited:
B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
I admire them because they generally bring a level of performance which is better than the competition at most any price-point and they offer a good range of "tunability" to help them integrate with your room gain!
I would call Hsu and ask what a replacement amp costs for an additional data point for your decision. While you are asking that, ask about how often there are problems and if something specific usually causes the failures or anything you should look at before you buy!
7 years is generally not a big concern as far as the mechanics of the speaker. The info you get from talking with Hsu should help you have more confidence in your decision. If teh Hsu is obvuiously well cared for I would not hesitate at $400, if it is beatup, make an lower offer if you still feel good about it working fine.
Damn....why didnt I think of that?! Will call them shortly.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
7 years is generally not a big concern as far as the mechanics of the speaker. The info you get from talking with Hsu should help you have more confidence in your decision. If teh Hsu is obvuiously well cared for I would not hesitate at $400, if it is beatup, make an lower offer if you still feel good about it working fine.
Just talked to Kevin himself. Lots of great info. He told me what to check out on the sub to ensure it is functioning properly, and even gave me great info on the original VTF2.5 that I was considering.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just talked to Kevin himself. Lots of great info. He told me what to check out on the sub to ensure it is functioning properly, and even gave me great info on the original VTF2.5 that I was considering.
If you don't mind, and when you get a chance, share with us what Kevin said about checking out the used sub.
I think that would be of common interest!

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
If you don't mind, and when you get a chance, share with us what Kevin said about checking out the used sub.
I think that would be of common interest!
He said to play 20hz and 100hz tones, and then play around with the volume and crossover knobs. Any "scratchiness" would indicate a misaligned driver, caused by dropping the unit. Changing the crossover after playing various frequencies should result in a change in volume. If there is an issue with the crossover, then I could remove the amp, which will not void any warranty (if there was one) and you can spray electrical component cleaner in the potentiometer to clean off the contacts. Of course, I failed to write a lot of what he said down, so I might be off on that as I was at work.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
If it truly is in good shape that seems like a pretty good deal, considering with shipping it was probably at least double that 7 years ago. It would be a better option for your situation that the VTF2; that's a nice subwoofer for sure, but it's not powerful enough to handle what you need it to.

D

DocK NR

Audiophyte
I’d rather recommend saving a little more money. I see purchasing a mediocre sub as a waste of hard earned money.
In addition to Kew's point, the not-broke but budgeting perspective:
Building the placeholder system, that is serviceable and fits the budget right now. It isn't simply about "saving up", but about priorities.
Sure I could spend more, I could drop $1500 on a sub right now without a problem--but I don't have a clue which one I'd buy, and it would take probably months of shopping to decide--not easily done these days.

Part of building a budget system is about educating yourself, but with low risk: just a few hundred dollars at stake at opposed to hundreds of thousands.

But I won't do that because I am going to buy new doors for every room in the house soon, and build a massive pergola this spring, probably buy a new car, and as soon as covid-19 is beat, we're going to Europe or Hawaii or Tahiti or the Caribbean, etc., then paint the house before fall.

In a few years, when the house remodel is done, and I've bought a couple of Teslas or whatever, got a boat I'm happy with, gone on some epic $10-20k vacations, then I'll drop $10kish on my dream speaker system.
Because then I'll have had time to shop and decide what I like and want.
Until then, I'd like to have something close to reasonably good sound until then. I'm in no rush for perfection, each up grade will be a chance to re-experience music that I love.

Maybe between now and then I'll double up, and switch out gear for $1000kish system, again educating myself.
Heck, if I could've listened to them, I might have 4 Kefs instead of 4 TSIs, might be listening to $4-500 subs right now.

In 5 years or so, I won't care about having spent $160 on a sub for the <$500 worth of speakers I can sell for $2-300 when I replace them with my dream speakers, and in 10 years I won't care about dropping an additional grand on an upgrade.

So, that's why advice of "save and wait," isn't helpful.

That might work for your life, but not for mine, or for many peoples' lives, it seems.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In addition to Kew's point, the not-broke but budgeting perspective:
Building the placeholder system, that is serviceable and fits the budget right now. It isn't simply about "saving up", but about priorities.
Sure I could spend more, I could drop $1500 on a sub right now without a problem--but I don't have a clue which one I'd buy, and it would take probably months of shopping to decide--not easily done these days.

Part of building a budget system is about educating yourself, but with low risk: just a few hundred dollars at stake at opposed to hundreds of thousands.

But I won't do that because I am going to buy new doors for every room in the house soon, and build a massive pergola this spring, probably buy a new car, and as soon as covid-19 is beat, we're going to Europe or Hawaii or Tahiti or the Caribbean, etc., then paint the house before fall.

In a few years, when the house remodel is done, and I've bought a couple of Teslas or whatever, got a boat I'm happy with, gone on some epic $10-20k vacations, then I'll drop $10kish on my dream speaker system.
Because then I'll have had time to shop and decide what I like and want.
Until then, I'd like to have something close to reasonably good sound until then. I'm in no rush for perfection, each up grade will be a chance to re-experience music that I love.

Maybe between now and then I'll double up, and switch out gear for $1000kish system, again educating myself.
Heck, if I could've listened to them, I might have 4 Kefs instead of 4 TSIs, might be listening to $4-500 subs right now.

In 5 years or so, I won't care about having spent $160 on a sub for the <$500 worth of speakers I can sell for $2-300 when I replace them with my dream speakers, and in 10 years I won't care about dropping an additional grand on an upgrade.

So, that's why advice of "save and wait," isn't helpful.

That might work for your life, but not for mine, or for many peoples' lives, it seems.
Well a $600 HSU VTF2 mk5 is about 3x as good as any $300 sub.

X

Xtremeup

Audiophyte
This company was also known to have entered the low-frequency game with its mid-range and high-frequency range. This 12-inch leading subwoofer delivers a powerful 475W. This is the best budget subwoofer.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
There is always an entry point into good audio. For me it was a pair of Advent Legacy II speakers back in the 1980's. After I played with professional grade stuff in the early 2000's, the budget stuff no longer sounded good. Also as my hearing has gotten worse, I actually find speakers able to fully replicate the audio faithfully helps me to listen and hear what I need to without cranking audio. Loud speakers because you cannot hear clearly can actually accelerate damage. In my opinion though, having a decent entry point to help a beginner is not a bad start. Not everyone can afford a $1600 sub or better. Also an observation is that the very high end equipment really needs supported properly by an executed room to fully appreciate the quality of the massively expensive high end. I probably with my systems have that without going to the next level. And in many cases, not all, knowing and helping a person navigate the used market can help a limited budget stretch. Helping educate a person helps. Also, the cheap brick and mortar stores offerings can have some value, but helping discern that in a pile of mediocre equipment is difficult. Even Paradigm has an entry level stuff and I know SVS does as well. Bose is overhyped marketed crap that did have it's day. Helping someone though navigate the audio, IMHO Crutchfield is not a bad place to begin window shopping. But ultimately the proof is in the auditioning of the speakers and most people don't want to spend that time. It helps to do legwork. It is not a bad thing to have places to direct people that are not into the measurements. And after my experience with direct purchase from SVS, I would highly recommend them as an example. Where not to buy is just as important as where and what to get. My original audio store is out of business now, but I did find a new place in the last year that I have bought stuff from. It was time to upgrade for me. A series of good how to writeups would not be a bad thing to help someone new at this to know how to find the good stuff and where the realistic budgets begin for that. I cannot expect someone to buy a $5000/pair speakers on a standard college budget. And not everywhere do we have the standards of living like that of the EU, Japan, Korea, Australia and North America as examples. Given this general guidelines on how to search and uncover for the area of the shopper can be very helpful for them to know where to begin. And not everyone's ear for what they consider good is consistent from person to person. Part of that I need look no further than the "wife factor" many of you experience. Getting two people to agree 100% is like trying to move a mountain by yourself with no aids. Given this, debates are a good thing, but knowing where to begin to get someone into the best of their price range is important.

iblogshub1

iblogshub1

Audiophyte
Find a good sub woofer is not a easy task. Thanks for helping me out with all available options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis