Interesting observations on budget subwoofers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would think 2 subs would work better at getting rid of nulls than 1. Did you measure this null?

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I would think 2 subs would work better at getting rid of nulls than 1. Did you measure this null?
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. I made the mistake by buying a Dayton sub1200 and was amazed by it. I wouldn't know any better...I never heard a real sub before. Then I had a bass null in my living room, so I bought a 2nd Dayton 1200 and the null was still there. I ended up selling both subs and bought a PB12-NSD and was extremely impressed... it was my first experience with a subwoofer that could actually produce infrasonic frequencies. However, I still had a bass null. I was going to buy a 2nd Sub, PB2000 or a PB3000 but I discovered power sound audio and bought a V1510 and it got rid of my null!

What was it about the V1510 that allowed you to eliminate the null?
Generally, the only thing you can do is add a sub or relocate the sub(s).

However, I totally agree with you that if infrasonic frequencies is what you expect out of a sub, the SUB1200 is woefully inadequate!

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
What was it about the V1510 that allowed you to eliminate the null?
Generally, the only thing you can do is add a sub or relocate the sub(s).

However, I totally agree with you that if infrasonic frequencies is what you expect out of a sub, the SUB1200 is woefully inadequate!
I think it was the size, it had more depth than the PB12. So the V1510 does stick out quite a bit more than the PB12. I moved the PB12 around a lot and couldn't get rid of the null. I put the V1510 in the original spot where the PB12 was and the null was gone.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I would have to buy a cheeper sub, me an my wife are both disabled. We have limited funds and 3 children, if we save even 700 it would end up being spent on something else long before there was enough to buy a good sub. An I say 700 but it would probably get spent at 200.00. I Wouldn't know what a really good sub sounds like, an my wife wouldn't care her hearings messed up from shooting guns in the army. An when i look at these test i have no idea what the numbers mean. I had a sound bar before with a 8in sub I thought sounded pretty good, but you guys would say sounds like crap. Which im sure it did lol. I know what i like when i hear a sub an thats all i would go by. My wife doesn't care what i put in the houe i could buy subs as big as coffee tables or anything else I want to put in the living room, hell I could buy a stuffed zebra with a speaker in it, she wouldn't care, she would just want to know what it cost :D then there might be a problem.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, like someone spun a subwoofer roulette wheel, and they just picked whatever it was on when it stopped.
You want some fun, google “beat subwoofer” or similar. You might even get angry with the results!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, like someone spun a subwoofer roulette wheel, and they just picked whatever it was on when it stopped. You want some fun, google “beat subwoofer” or similar. You might even get angry with the results!
That, or those are offerings from their various advertisers. Either way, some real head scratchers.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Good point Jim! Never underestimate the power of marketing!
How are you these days?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Getting real tired of being under house arrest. How about yourself?
About the same. Kids are going bonkers, and that definitely spills over to mom and dad! Lol
Mn is lifting the shelter in place today so that will be interesting.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is a pretty diverse recommendation:
I don't know anything about DigitalTrends or the author, Kris Wouk (of this article), but the main reason I started this thread was to point out that the Wirecutter article withstood vetting as being legit!
I do not see that from this DigitalTrends article.
But probably my biggest gripe against the DigitalTrends article is they do not reveal which subwoofers they considered. For all we know, it is very likely that the six "sensational" subwoofers they mentioned were the only six that they looked at!
The comments on the Paradigm sub never mention anything about their listening experience or subjective impressions, they only talk about how svelte it is and list a bit about the hardware. Also how could they (presumably) review several subs at once, but never mention how one compared to another?!
Probably more telling is the only thing close to mentioning any performance Cons or weaknesses of any of these subs is to say the $100 Monoprice "will not knock down walls"!

I think it is a BS article!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know anything about DigitalTrends or the author, Kris Wouk (of this article), but the main reason I started this thread was to point out that the Wirecutter article withstood vetting as being legit!
I do not see that from this DigitalTrends article.
But probably my biggest gripe against the DigitalTrends article is they do not reveal which subwoofers they considered. For all we know, it is very likely that the six "sensational" subwoofers they mentioned were the only six that they looked at!
The comments on the Paradigm sub never mention anything about their listening experience or subjective impressions, they only talk about how svelte it is and list a bit about the hardware. Also how could they (presumably) review several subs at once, but never mention how one compared to another?!
Probably more telling is the only thing close to mentioning any performance Cons or weaknesses of any of these subs is to say the $100 Monoprice "will not knock down walls"!
I think it is a BS article!

It is not close to the same class as Brent Butterworth's Wirecutter evaluation!
Be nice if Mr. Wouk would join us in a conversation here so we could politely ask him how he came up with this list.

On a more cynical note, I’d like to ask him wtf he’s doing publishing junk like this and does he actually sleep at night knowing he’s full of shiit. Or is he really as stoopid as his article looks...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, like someone spun a subwoofer roulette wheel, and they just picked whatever it was on when it stopped.
You want some fun, google “beat subwoofer” or similar. You might even get angry with the results!
That website gets a kickback if you order from a link clicked on after that page. That is why you will never see a non-amazon or non-google advertiser on lists like those, like say Hsu or JTR. Most of the time in articles like this, the authors have never even had personal experience with the subs that they write about. They just look up the hottest sellers on Amazon for better odds of a payout. I have even seen listicles like this where the author just copies and pastes comments from product reviews on Amazon.

We call websites like this the "Google-to-Amazon conduit." What happens is that average Joe googles something like "best subwoofers," and websites like these crop up on the first page because they invest very heavily in sophisticated SEO. They click on a link within the first page of results, and they buy from a link within that results page. Amazon gives a small cut to the referring website, and the referring website gives money to Google as advertising fees which helps them appear as first page results. It's the circle of internet commerce, and actual journalism or sincerely written content has very little to do with any of it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My apologies to KEW and the guys I just found some of these subwoofers were some I’d never heard of and thought some of them looked good with unique different looks plus some obvious choices from wire cutter reviews in the past. Whoops I guess I was a bit bored.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My apologies to KEW and the guys I just found some of these subwoofers were some I’d never heard of and thought some of them looked good with unique different looks plus some obvious choices from wire cutter reviews in the past. Whoops I guess I was a bit bored.
How dare you link to such a website in this forum! For shame!!

;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry joe. You’re fired....

Jk. No worries. I can see why you’ve never heard of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis