Got to repair my PB 4000 yesterday!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

I read some bad entries about the quality of SVS Driver.After unpacking my brandnew SB4000 I note some white stains on the rubber surround.

My dealer said it is Talkum.SVS said it is off gassing.I will change the driver.
Why replace the driver? Is this what SVS offered?

M

MK1984

Enthusiast
You have to change the driver of your BRAND NEW sub?
I bought it in Dec 2021.I note it after unpacking.I allowed myself to be persuaded from my dealer.But it always bothered me.So, now i ordered the new driver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought it in Dec 2021.I note it after unpacking.I allowed myself to be persuaded from my dealer.But it always bothered me.So, now i ordered the new driver.
So SVS isn't giving it to you, you're buying it voluntarily?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get the new driver today.I have to find the time to change it.
Shouldn't be too difficult, just be careful, especially if the gasket is sticky. So SVS say anything particular about why this qualified for a warranty replacement? Was it a performance or aesthetic thing?

M

MK1984

Enthusiast
Shouldn't be too difficult, just be careful, especially if the gasket is sticky. So SVS say anything particular about why this qualified for a warranty replacement? Was it a performance or aesthetic thing?
One said off gassing, the other said it was talc and another said something was coming off on the rubber surround.

I think about buying another Massive Subwoofer.But which company should I choose?JL Audio seems to have some problems too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One said off gassing, the other said it was talc and another said something was coming off on the rubber surround.

I think about buying another Massive Subwoofer.But which company should I choose?JL Audio seems to have some problems too.
Where are you? I wouldn't buy particularly from JL, just don't see justification for performance to price.

M

MK1984

Enthusiast
Where are you? I wouldn't buy particularly from JL, just don't see justification for performance to price.
I‘m from Germany.

It’s not easy to find a massive high quality Subwoofer with output like a SB4000

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I‘m from Germany.

It’s not easy to find a massive high quality Subwoofer with output like a SB4000
I highly doubt there is anything wrong with that driver. Can you post a photograph? This seems at first glance, totally absurd.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't look good what's happening to the surround....did it change texture/effectiveness or simply cosmetic? SVS didn't want to guess?

M

MK1984

Enthusiast
Doesn't look good what's happening to the surround....did it change texture/effectiveness or simply cosmetic? SVS didn't want to guess?
SVS US said it’s off-gassing.
SVS Germany said its Talc

I wipe it off with a damp towel.But I don’t know what exactly it was

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
SVS US said it’s off-gassing.
SVS Germany said its Talc
How did it feel to your fingers?

ps if it was the residue of outgassing or talc, it should be wiped away for the most part but that looks more embedded in the rubber of the surround....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and good luck on the swap when you get some quality time....

FWIW can't say I've ever seen something like your photo shows before....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is just the spray finish coming off. It is purely cosmetic and won't affect performance. So unless you leave it with the grill off, it is of no concern.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to not having a driver doing this at all....yah, can see why a replacement would be interesting while warranty is still in place as to why it's happening let alone what it might do in the long run. Glad SVS stepped up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis