About to buy my first AVR and need some help

M

MsiSek

Audiophyte
Yo, so me and the gf are about to expand our movie watching experience by getting some better sound going and as it's the first time ever im buying something like this some help would be greatly appreciated!

Okay so i've seen lots of videos about this stuff by now but it's still a little confusing, or there's 1 thing im thinking about right now and thats the wattage required or rms on the receiver i guess.
I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-A4A and the Denon AVC-X3700h(is this even the new updated version without the 2.1 hdmi bug or is that the AVR-X3700h? this ones also confusing so ive primarily been looking at the Yamaha but open for suggestions)
I currently have a Klipsch RP-504c that i bought off a friend when he was moving and it says that one requires 150w continuous power, then i plan on buying 2x RP-600m later on as front L/R and then probably another pair as back L/R and those require 100w cont. each if im not mistaken?

That's 150w+400w so 550w overall and it says this Yamaha can only do 110w with 2 channels driven? There's no way i'd be able to run that with this receiver or am i confusing myself? Oh and i'll probably add 4 atmos in-ceiling ones down the line aswell so that's even more power required but im pretty sure i'll need an external amp for those last 2 inputs anyway right? Reading on crutchfield that the receiver only powers 7 but has 9 outputs so im just guessing here, if it even works.

That's pretty much it. Im buying the SVS PB-1000 Pro aswell when i buy the receiver i think as i've seen it's being recommended almost anywhere i look so it should be good, and it's an active sub so it doesnt matter how much the receiver can output right?

TLDR
basically what im asking is would a mix of these work without issues, is the receiver powerful enough to power all of this or do i need something extra too. For now i only have the center and will buy the sub with the receiver. Front/Back L/R come later. Atmos much later.
Yamaha RX-A4A or Denon AVC/R-X3700H
Klipsch RP-504c
Klipsch RP-600m x4
SVS PB-1000 Pro
2-4 Atmos speakers

Any answers would be cool and i thank you for it.
If there's some other issues with this that i've glanced over feel free to correct/point it out to me, Cheers!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Okay so i've seen lots of videos about this stuff by now but it's still a little confusing, or there's 1 thing im thinking about right now and thats the wattage required or rms on the receiver i guess.

I currently have a Klipsch RP-504c that i bought off a friend when he was moving and it says that one requires 150w continuous power, then i plan on buying 2x RP-600m later on as front L/R and then probably another pair as back L/R and those require 100w cont. each if im not mistaken?

That's 150w+400w so 550w overall and it says this Yamaha can only do 110w with 2 channels driven? There's no way i'd be able to run that with this receiver or am i confusing myself?

Basically what im asking is would a mix of these work without issues, is the receiver powerful enough to power all of this or do i need something extra too?
First of all, welcome to Audioholics :)!

Yes, you are confused about those speaker power ratings. Klipsch gives two numbers, Sensitivity and Power Handling among other speaker ratings. Sensitivity is a measure of how loud the speaker is when fed a 1 Watt signal with a measuring microphone 1 meter away. And Power Handling is how much power the speaker can handle without overheating and failing. Don't confuse power handling with power requirement – they are not at all the same.

The RP-504C speaker it is rated with a Sensitivity of 97 dB, and rated as handling 150W continuous or 600W power for brief peaks. 97 dB is very loud, even if Klipsch is exaggerating that value. You'll probably sit farther away than 1 meter, but a small amount of continuous power will drive these speakers quite loud.

The RP-600M speakers, have a sensitivity of 96 dB and power handling of 100W / 400W. Same comments go for these speakers as for the center speaker.

Either of those two AVRs you mention should be easily able to drive all the speakers you're thinking of getting. It's not nearly as bad as you had thought ;).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Very well put and easy to understand Swerd!

To add, generally speaking 100 watts is usually enough for most. This does of course depend on seating distance and speaker sensitivity, which Swerd did a great job of explaining. Of your choices for avrs I like the Denon 3700. It's right in the sweet spot for power and features, imo. Great room correction and flexibility too.

PS, this calculator is a neat tool to show you the relation between power, distance and volume. Just fill the boxes with the appropriate numbers and click calculate. It won't be accurate for every speaker but can give you a ballpark of your power needs.

*Edited so I'm talking about the right person... lol

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The HDMI 2.1 issue is a non issue for people who do not have the latest gaming consoles. If wanting to game in 4K @120 now, then consider that the Denon requires a separate device to do so and the Yamaha will require a future firmware update so consoles would need to be connected directly to a capable TV in the meantime. But, as for powering speakers, @Swerd explained it nicely.

M

MsiSek

Audiophyte
Thank You! Glad to be a member. And this is perfect, so theres nothing to really worry about then luckily

Oh cool, i'll have to check this out once i get home. Thanks!

Yeah im aware! got the ps5 and a 4k OLED hence why im going with some newer stuff, but the thing is theres 2 of these Denon receivers on their website and im unsure of which one is the newer "fixed" model since theyre both basically the same, One is just called AVC and the slightly older one called AVR, maybe both have the bug but i thought one was a bit newer that doesnt have it, ive even heard about a 3700ha not just h at the end but havent seen anything about it, maybe just rumors.
Cheers!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
AVC would have no radio tuner. Believe it is for regions outside of US. Guessing you are outside US.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos and surround speakers don’t require much power at all. So the question is not about power. It’s about features and other factors.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis