Alex takes delivery

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
OK guess I am up next. Here is the XPA-3 installed. However, next week I will be driving back down to Mass to drop the Onkyo off again:mad: They did offer free shipping back and forth but that is what I was trying to avoid the entire time anyway. To all the nay sayers. The Emotiva is a hell of an amp at any price not to mention I got it for $599.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I will be driving back down to Mass ...
If it makes you feel any better I have a hum when I power up the power strip non the right. :rolleyes:
To paraphrase Dave, I hate chasing down ground loops.
I'll get it though. :(

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Present company excluded, Mike ... we're AH'ers ... it matters. :)

Here we go, it was like this:

... then something happened:

... but it got better:

I just need to hook it up and maybe run the wire management business back past the computer.

I already miss those sweet H/K watts ... :D ... Just driving PENG crazy. :p :D
Lookin' good, Alex! Your cables are much neater than mine. But then, My HT wires are behind a false wall, so I don't care...:D I could do something with the 2-channel cables though...someday.:rolleyes:

Oh, and Jeff, good luck with your receiver.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Would it be wrong to say that Jeff gave me a hummer? :D

EDIT:

I got it !!! It was my turntable RCA output being unplugged
and shorting out making the hum as soon as it was powered up.

Now I have listened to every source play without any calibration (probably still using Jeff's old settings) and can say that the bass sounds different. I'm pretty sure it's because of the THX 24db/oct LP slope as opposed to the 12db/oct slope of the H/K. All I need now besides a calibration is a killer set of DIY bookshelf speakers. Funny how that works. When everything gets built up around a set of speakers then the next thing in line for an upgrade is the speakers that you built everything else around. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Lookin' good, Alex! Your cables are much neater than mine. But then, My HT wires are behind a false wall, so I don't care...:D I could do something with the 2-channel cables though...someday.:rolleyes:
After taking another look at your pics, I realize why it looks so neat - you still have a s***load of cabling to hook up yet! Another job half-done. Typical....:rolleyes:

:D

majorloser

majorloser

Sorry Jeff, that rack doesn't look right. Need to add a couple XPA-1's and an XPA-2 so you have all seven channels taken care of. :cool:

It's only money :p

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You picked right up on that, huh?
I take it you're not a big reader. :D

LMAO.
You must have been looking at that one pic going, 'man, it's like the wires aren't even there!' :)
I try to read through your posts, but by the time I get to the second, my eyes are already glazing over...

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Sorry Jeff, that rack doesn't look right. Need to add a couple XPA-1's and an XPA-2 so you have all seven channels taken care of. :cool:

It's only money :p
Yeah your right. Can I borrow about $3000:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Can I borrow about $3000:D
That seems like a small price for happiness and in the big picture it's not a large sum ... but audio is where 'extra' money goes and in terms of 'extra' that is a huge sum.

How did you get the XPA 3 for $599? Was there a sale?

new improved
I was gonna do great things with this quote but in the interest of wire management I must unplug the main power. The interuption though brief is causing me great distress. No music ... no AH ... what are we really here for? ... man!

:eek:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
How did you get the XPA 3 for $599? Was there a sale?
Scratch and dent brother, scratch and dent. However, I can't find either on this thing. Not a mark. It is always good to call:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Another job half-done. Typical....:rolleyes:

They teach you that in the military up there? ... but you win.
As a motivational speaker you'd be like that guy with the mamby pamby thing. :)

Ya diggin' the cable pants?

Are ya feelin' it yet?

This was my best move in a while ...

All done ... except the calibration but I gotta say that it sounds pretty good right now. The bass is way hot but I'm listening with peaks under 65db so it's kinda cool.

Oh yeah, here it is.

Scratch and dent brother, scratch and dent. However, I can't find either on this thing. Not a mark. It is always good to call:D
Thanks for the tip. Saving a 100 bucks is always cool but especially when all it takes is a call.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
They teach you that in the military up there? ...
To express contempt for someone taking pride in a semi-completed task? Naw, that's a God-given talent.:D

... but you win.
Yes. Yes I did.:p

As a motivational speaker you'd be like that guy with the mamby pamby thing.
The mamby pamby thing? Sorry, you lost me there...:confused:

Ya diggin' the cable pants?
OK Alex, I admit it - I love your tight-fittin' pants.:eek:

All done ... except the calibration but I gotta say that it sounds pretty good right now.
Well? Whatcha waitin' for - Christmas!? The military did teach me to be a slave driver. ;) They also taught me that doing maintenance is like takin' a dump - the job ain't complete until the paperwork is.

Seriously buddy - looks good.:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The mamby pamby thing? Sorry, you lost me there...:confused:
Then you are in for a treat. ;)

Seriously buddy - looks good.:)
Thanks.
I think I'll play some music while I try to decipher the first 100 pages of the freakin' manual.
From page 101 it is the Advanced Setup. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Then you are in for a treat. ;)

Thanks.
I think I'll play some music while I try to decipher the first 100 pages of the freakin' manual.
From page 101 it is the Advanced Setup. :(
I'll have to wait until I get home from work to see your attachment. Stupid filters won't let me see it.:mad:

I hear ya on the manual thing - I have the RX-V1800.:eek: I've read enough to get where I need to be, setup-wise. But I certainly haven't read it all...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll have to wait until I get home from work to see your attachment. Stupid filters won't let me see it.:mad:
There's no freedom of speech up there ... and can they just stop you from web surfing like that?
Isn't that like neglect?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis