Alex takes delivery

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What's the verdict Alex? How does it sound compared to your old setup?
You just wanted me to repost this, didn't you you bad boy. :D

The speaker/sub transition is seamless.

I am so happy with the current sound of this that I am prepared to have your republican babies. :D
Seriously the integration of sub to speakers is phenomenal. I don't play it loud enough to make any difference power wise but the THX xo slope and the bit of auto EQ'ing that I let it do make the system sound very nice. I can't really express how happy I am with the sound without sounding ridiculous. Like how good can Dayton BR-1's and a couple of DIY subs sound? :rolleyes:

But more to the point of how it compares to before I think the xo slope is a big improvement. The old set up had EQ'ing applied to the Denon DVD-2200 and when I played single discs it was better sounding than the non-EQ'ed Sony CDP-CX355. I think YPAO sounds better than the EQ curve I had put in on the old set up and now YPAO is applied to everything. The system is simpler now as well. Beyond just the sound I enjoy it more because there is less gear to mess with.

I am being summoned to watch a movie so I gotsta boogie but I'm really diggin' this.

Later

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Beyond just the sound I enjoy it more because there is less gear to mess with.

Keep talking like that and Gene will revoke your card.:eek::D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, now I have a little more time and I've sorted my thoughts out a little better.

With the H/K AVR 430 the EQ curve I had applied wasn't a night and day difference. It was subtle and you had to know what you were listening for in order to pick up on it. TLS's catch phrase of 'sins of omission are much easier to forgive than sins of commission' was my guide to putting in place a few adjustments as I saw fit based on what I could discern with a Rives Test CD 2.

Here's what it looked like. Notice that I didn't mess with the Q as that was outside my ability to measure. Also this was a starting point that gave me some desired results that I could measure and hear but overall with music it wasn't easy to pick up on.

Then after that got done I would adjust the gains on the subs however I saw fit based on the overall playback volume. It always sounded like the subs were lightly tethered wolves. The 12db/oct xo slope allowed them to make themselves conspicuous rather quickly once the playback volume went up. With the RX-V2600 the steeper slope curtails the range of the subs beyond the alignment that TLS provided ... or should I say that the steeper slope meets TLS's prescribed alignment? Anyway the range of the subs is narrowed.

So the slope in this case is a noticeable improvement.

Onto the EQ'ing: I have every confidence that YPAO is a more sophisticated tool that me ... :D ... and my Rives disc as measured with a rat shack meter. Any equalization improvement is very difficult to discern audibly because of the improvement made by the steeper slope. However I think I was able to appreciate better separation of lead and back up vocals probably due in part to the bass not muddying up the midrange and maybe due to the EQ'ing. I haven't done a lot (read: anything) beyond running the auto set up that one time.

Remember that Harman 'How to Listen' software? To me it demonstrated that while shifts in the FR curve are in fact identifiable they are still more subtle than getting better speakers. :D I'm still listening to BR-1's. :) ... and I need to give Brothers in Arms a rest. It's like listening to test tones anymore. :rolleyes:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Final update on the issues with my 808. I was going to bring it back to the repair center today and have the volume knob repaired. However, I decided to email Bill first just for the heck of it. Crutchfield just called me and are taking my 808 back. I paid another 300 and they are sending me an 809 brand new. I paid 599 for the open box 808. I am very happy and they do live up to their reputation for great customer service:D

Hopefully that will solve the issues.

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
A new unit with a different serial number usually fixes everything. :)

I hope you don't wear out your rack. When's the new projector coming? :D
Soon I hope. Few months. I am still looking them all over but the Epson and the JVC are on my short list.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
809 came the other day and so far life is good. Initial impression is that is a worthy upgrade. After I ran the Multi eq XT and put on some familiar material, I immediately could tell a HUGE difference. I assume it is due to the higher resolution of the EQ on the speaker channels. Even my Wife could tell something was much different in the way it sounded. Center channel dialog was much improved with EQ XT. These speakers never sounded this good. I am hearing nuances and things in music and movie soundtracks that I never heard before. Imaging and placement are unreal compared to before. I am sold on Audyessy and wonder how much better the XT 32 sounds over just the XT? Good stuff and I am loving the XPA-3 too.:)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Can answer that, only you. Do it soon, you should. :D

You deserve better. :cool: ;)

Should I start making offers or do you want to set the price? :D
Hehe, lol :D I am afraid you are out of luck my friend until I can afford 7 XPA-1's and Maggies all around the only thing I will be upgrading is my speakers :D I have still not figured out just what I am going to do with that yet.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Young Adam is getting better at this. It's becoming a problem. :rolleyes:

... the only thing I will be upgrading is my speakers :D I have still not figured out just what I am going to do with that yet.
I've been watching the odd threads you start as you seek direction in that area. It's got me thinking about replacing my BR-1's. Maybe my next step will be to build the Dennis Murphy designed crossover for them and see where that takes me. For the 100 bucks or so in parts and the little bit of work I think the return on investment will be significant. Any other upgrade path would likely be cost prohibitive at this point.

Let's talk about your A-500's. Do you think I might be able to use them to power up my subs that I'm using with the RX-V2600? I would like to take Walter's Carver Model C-500 that I am currently using on the subs in Mantown and put it back out in the living room again to pair up with the Primus 360's. I'm thinking there must be a work around for the A-500 hum and even if not the hum might not be audible out of a sub. Are they bridgeable for a 4 Ohm load? Do you know what Annunaki wanted with them?

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Young Adam is getting better at this. It's becoming a problem. :rolleyes:

I've been watching the odd threads you start as you seek direction in that area. It's got me thinking about replacing my BR-1's. Maybe my next step will be to build the Dennis Murphy designed crossover for them and see where that takes me. For the 100 bucks or so in parts and the little bit of work I think the return on investment will be significant. Any other upgrade path would likely be cost prohibitive at this point.

Let's talk about your A-500's. Do you think I might be able to use them to power up my subs that I'm using with the RX-V2600? I would like to take Walter's Carver Model C-500 that I am currently using on the subs in Mantown and put it back out in the living room to pair up with the Primus 360's. I'm thinking there must be a work around for the A-500 hum and even if not the hum might not be audible out of a sub. Are they bridgeable for a 4 Ohm load? Do you know what Annunaki wanted with them?
Well the manual says that you are not supposed to bridge them into 4 ohms, however, I bet they would run just fine depending in the actual impedance curve of the driver. My titanics stay well above 4 ohms for most of the frequencies. You would have to look at yours. Certainly for movies they would be ok because there is just not that much demand placed on them. Maybe on some really bass intensive music you might heat them up. I never tried it though so not sure. They are pretty well protected and if they overheat they will shut down. You will have to come up and we will test it out. :)

I don't know what Annunaki is using his for and the hum is not noticeable on subs. I finally solved that issue anyway and in your house they might not even hum.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I don't want to run the risk of you missing the re-badged Yammy box ... yeah, that's right ... keep laughing. :rolleyes:
Oh, I saw that. I'm actually a little dissapointed that he didn't list the size of the beads on the box....:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis