Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No problem, I understand with all my posts it's not always easy to follow ;)
Even before thinking about getting back to home theater I struggled with having hdmi 2.1 working from my PC to my Samsung QN90A. I installed a FiberCommand 100 feet hdmi 2.1 extender (it was a good training before wiring speakers). I tried to get a clean install with pc -> hdmi cable -> wall outlet -> extender -> wall outlet -> hdmi cable -> TV but I never managed to get 4k hdr 120Hz with VRR working. I had to remove the hdmi cable and wall outlet between the pc and the extender to get something that works (I mean the extender is plugged into the PC graphic card).

I then installed my AVR, and tried windows Dolby Atmos games. At first I was happy, Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Ori and the Will of the Wisps were propertly outputing Dolby Atmos by my RX-A8A and were sounding great... but with 400ms audio lag. So I plugged the PC to the AVR (losing VRR and 120Hz until the firmware update will maybe solve that) to see if the audio delay would be the same. The audio is not there anymore when doing this BUT my RX-A8A only receives Dolby Atmos DD+ (instead of PCM with most of the other Atmos sources) when playing Atmos video, and Games are now outputing a 7.1 audio stream which I suppose is a classic Dolby Digital bitstream. I contacted Dolby through the Dolby Access app and they were saying they were aware of this issue.

So here I am right now. I have a humming issue with my hdmi extender, and I can't use dolby atmos in games (Dolby responsability) nor use 4k HDR 120hz (Yamaha responsability).

I will be patient. Because otherwise the sound quality is way above what I was expecting for stereo music or movies.
Honestly, you have so many "things" in between your PC and your TV I'd have been shocked if you didn't have issues. HDMI is such a crap standard, installs like yours always tend to have issues. A lot of it is that these aren't active connections so signal loss (or in your case delay, apparently) is a major issue.

I would advise you start a thread so it's easier to keep track of, but we've got folks here that can help with this, but I'm willing to bet you'll be advised to eliminate as many wall outlets and such as you can. No easy task, obviously, but I'd see if you can test without the wall plates just to see if those are part of the problem.

@BMXTRIX knows more about this stuff than I ever will.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Someone was suggesting that when plugging the PC to the TV and then using eARC to play sound the TV was actually converting the bitstream into PCM introducing some lag. It totally could be that. I tried to change audio output mode to try to prevent this hypothetical behavior but as soon as I change any option from auto to something else, I am losing the Atmos.
Ahhh, got cha. Maybe someone else has some better advice. I just keep it simple. All sources plugged into the 3060 via hdmi, (Roku Ultra, Oppo disc player) then one hdmi out to the TV.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Ahhh, got cha. Maybe someone else has some better advice. I just keep it simple. All sources plugged into the 3060 via hdmi, (Roku Ultra, Oppo disc player) then one hdmi out to the TV.
Oh you mean 3060 for the Yamaha amp, I was thinking nVidia RTX 3060 XD
I wasn't asking for help about hdmi 2.1, this subject just popped when I was speaking about humming noise through the amp that was produced by a hdmi extender plugged into an unpowered PC 100 feet away from the amp. It's not a big deal to me, I just unplugged the hdmi from the pc when I don't use it. I post about this because it could at some point have been informative if an AVR issue. But it appears it's something not really related to the amp.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Oh you mean 3060 for the Yamaha amp, I was thinking nVidia RTX 3060 XD
I wasn't asking for help about hdmi 2.1, this subject just popped when I was speaking about humming noise through the amp that was produced by a hdmi extender plugged into an unpowered PC 100 feet away from the amp. It's not a big deal to me, I just unplugged the hdmi from the pc when I don't use it. I post about this because it could at some point have been informative if an AVR issue. But it appears it's something not really related to the amp.
Ok, yes my AVR, is the older Yamaha RX A3060

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry if you're having to repeat yourself, but I want to help and there are a lot of pages in this thread, and I don't really know the issue other than this.
@OldAndSlowDev
This is why I suggested starting new threads to address your specific problems and setup concerns. :) A majority of this thread now is given over to issues not specific to it and impossible to search for.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
The audio is not there anymore when doing this BUT my RX-A8A only receives Dolby Atmos DD+ (instead of PCM with most of the other Atmos sources) when playing Atmos video, and Games are now outputing a 7.1 audio stream which I suppose is a classic Dolby Digital bitstream.
It depends how you set this up. Raw LPCM output will bring 7.1 sound, with no height information for speakers. AVR might show "multi-in". LPCM, however, can also carry Dolby Atmos MAT with 7.1.4 by using MAT 2.0 container if it goes over Dolby Access app in Windows. Games use the spatial sound API, which send the sound to the Dolby Access app. This app then packages audio in MAT 2.0 container, which capable games can benefit from.

Over eARC, make sure TV is set to passthrough/bitstream. In Auto mode, audio is downconverted to DD+ Atmos.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
@OldAndSlowDev
This is why I suggested starting new threads to address your specific problems and setup concerns. :) A majority of this thread now is given over to issues not specific to it and impossible to search for.
I concur, we are getting further and further away from topic of thread. Maybe a new Yamaha thread needs to be started instead.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I concur, we are getting further and further away from topic of thread. Maybe a new Yamaha thread needs to be started instead.
No need for that. Some rare issues reported from relatively small amount of owners may become more prominent later on when more people own those devices. There are very few owners of Yamaha 2021 models. It's quite niche at the moment. No reason to duplicate Yamaha 2021 models thread. It's one line of devices and hundreds of issues could crop up.
@OldAndSlowDev
This depends. Some eARC implementations are pertinent to TV models, some to AVRs. If enough users voice concern over eARC on a particular line of devices, such as lag or drop-outs, we can narrow down the problem and vendor is informed to try to improve it via firmware. Several firmwares addressing issues in eARC have been released by TV and AVR vendors. There is no eARC on monitors, hence no one complains about it.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@OldAndSlowDev
Yep, sure want folks to get help so that's why we suggest new threads. Don't want issues getting lost.

I don't think a new thread for the yammy's is required, a friendly (board) mod could clean this thread up a bit. If they're feeling generous.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yep, sure want folks to get help so that's why we suggest new threads. Don't want issues getting lost.

I don't think a new thread for the yammy's is required, a friendly (board) mod could clean this thread up a bit. If they're feeling generous.
If Gene has time, issues can be collected and listed in the OP. This is how OP is usually treated, as first source of information.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Ya just remove any post mentioning HDMI 2.1 and how it was too early to market…. LOL :)

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
If Gene has time, issues can be collected and listed in the OP. This is how OP is usually treated, as first source of information.
Gene has obviously gone dark on this thread. I think he may be in Yamaha's Witness Protection Program.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m not suggesting new threads for topics that are linked to the Yamaha and whatever direct potential problems may be related to it.
But Subwoofers and Ground Loop Hum, for example, are truly separate topics that deserve to be discussed separately from this thread.

I think we all know that some sidebar conversation is fine. (I am absolutely guilty of this myself! ;) ) Moreover, I am grateful we don’t have mods quite as militant as some other forum.
Regardless, this is the beauty of being able to search the forum for open topics about similar issues, and being able to author a new thread about a unique question, problem or experience.

That’s all.
Don’t mean to be a stick in the mud, and really not meaning to be thread police.
I think the fact that I’ve brought this up once before and have some agreement from others tells that I’m not amiss in my suggestion. :)

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
I’m not suggesting new threads for topics that are linked to the Yamaha and whatever direct potential problems may be related to it.
But Subwoofers and Ground Loop Hum, for example, are truly separate topics that deserve to be discussed separately from this thread.

I think we all know that some sidebar conversation is fine. (I am absolutely guilty of this myself! ;) ) Moreover, I am grateful we don’t have mods quite as militant as some other forum.
Regardless, this is the beauty of being able to search the forum for open topics about similar issues, and being able to author a new thread about a unique question, problem or experience.

That’s all.
Don’t mean to be a stick in the mud, and really not meaning to be thread police.
I think the fact that I’ve brought this up once before and have some agreement from others tells that I’m not amiss in my suggestion. :)
I'm experiencing some odd ground loop hum from my subwoofer into my Denon. Can you help me? :p

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Yes. You can.

BUT it takes 3 steps.

1. Apply YPAO 20Hz-20kHz
2. Copy Flat or Natural YPAO to MANUAL PEQ.
3. Under Manual PEQ, manually set all frequencies above 200Hz to 0.0dB.
This....I was surprised when I read guys complaining on other threads that YPAO didn't let the user do this. It was the first thing I did after which I did some manual PEQ adjustments to mids/highs to suit my tastes.

I had tinkered forever with dirac/minidsp on my 2 channel setup and could never get it to sound good. Within an hour of tinkering with YPAO on my RX-A3070, it started to sound jawdropping good.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene has obviously gone dark on this thread. I think he may be in Yamaha's Witness Protection Program.
Or witness protection is hiding him from Yamaha...

I'm wondering if he found something and is in communication with Yamaha while they're doing some troubleshooting. I think if gene did find something egregious he'd run it by them and give them an opportunity to address it before publishing. That's just a far fetched, imaginative guess on my part tho.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Or witness protection is hiding him from Yamaha...

I'm wondering if he found something and is in communication with Yamaha while they're doing some troubleshooting. I think if gene did find something egregious he'd run it by them and give them an opportunity to address it before publishing. That's just a far fetched, imaginative guess on my part tho.
@gene said... some 40 pages back!... that he had heard back from Yamaha, confirming his findings and that they were seemingly hardware related. He also said that he was moving to listening sessions and would publish his review... soon?.

Of course, this thread is some 6 mos and 5 days old...

So soon could be another 2... days or months... IIRC, what he really said is that it would be forthcoming. :)

M

mhat

Enthusiast
Can we please rename this thread "helping one specific person set up their stereo system for dozens of pages and no actual updates whatsoever about the new yamaha aventage receivers from gene"?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I plead guilty, I won't post anymore about biamp, YPAO, Atmos, testing game, PC input, TV apps through eArc vs external devices to the amp, extra bass management with full range in front speaker, vs using crossover, using iOS app, web interface. I also tested Deezer, Spotify, with embedded Yamaha, vs yamaha app, vs app though AirPlay. I was thinking it could be usefull for people trying to get the max of their AVR, to see what are the actual drawbacks. i had a billion and a half questions for sure when it was how to setup a subwoofer, then to figure out how to not get YPAO to overshoot the speakers levels. To me all these informations could at some point be related to Yamaha 2021 avr line up.

I will just post about power to match the OP : I cranked a little bit the volume to stress test a little bit the beast. I like how it brings you close to a real theater. Running -10dB I made a few jumps watching Avengers Civil War. It's not even about being louder, it's all about dynamism. I was "worried" driving 11 channels it mays lack a bit of power with my speakers that aren't the most efficients but it's way more than enough for my living room (24 by 20 feet).

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis