Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

C

chapp

Audioholic
What box do you use to stream HBO? Is the pop like a thump from the sub or like a higher frequency?
Nothing to do with the Sub, or specific to HBO. This POP comes from random speakers and never from the sub. It can come from any of the LCR, Surrounds or Heights and from only 1 speaker at any one time it pops.
I think that I have tried all of the hdmi settings in the setup but none seem to help. I have also tried with nothing connected to the A8A besides the TV. The apps are all from the Sony TV.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Maybe I misunderstood the exchange about enhancer mode and extra bass.
From what I understand:

Extra bass is allowing the speaker to reproduce bass frequencies that are usually handled by the subwoofer. Without extra bass, the amp will not send lower frequencies. So if you want to benefit from both subwoofer and your speakers or like me, you don't own yet any subwoofer, then use extra bass.
BUT, DON'T if your speaker setting is set to small, because then the amp will overshoot the bass in an ugly non linear way.

Enhancer is processing the input signal in order to give it a specific color, it's a DSP thing that is supposed to reproduce what you used to hear in some theaters... I haven't done any back and forth tests to see if I can hear any change.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing to do with the Sub, or specific to HBO. This POP comes from random speakers and never from the sub. It can come from any of the LCR, Surrounds or Heights and from only 1 speaker at any one time it pops.
I think that I have tried all of the hdmi settings in the setup but none seem to help. I have also tried with nothing connected to the A8A besides the TV. The apps are all from the Sony TV.
Definitely could be related to the TV settings but you said you had the same TV with an older Yamaha and had no issue with the Sony TV Apps making this pop noise.

I’m assuming the HDMI cable is firmly connected right?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
As mentioned above, the best place for subs isn't always where we'd like. I assume you want to test 'stereo subs' though - not worth it IMHO. And it will look much more tidy if the subs aren't seemingly randomly placed about the room. :D

I have my subs in the main unit as I've found no real benefit from placing them elsewhere.

I can't use huge ported ones as I'd have no room for the TV. Can't even use two SVS SB2000 Pro as I couldn't open the door! So have the SB3000 Micro on the right, because it isn't as wide. Together, they give a lot of extended bass in my 12 foot by 15 cinema room.

I reckon that two of the SB3000s would probably be ample for your bigger space. The advantage of the SVS ones is they have a three band filter for room correction, which together with bass management in the A8A should allow you to blend them in and get rid of nasty room modes.

Badly set-up subwoofers sound far worse than not having any. :)
More I watch movies (I am binge watching all Marvels in the right order right now), more I want more bass. But there isn't space for good big subwoofer like the pb2000 or 3000. The only room left is in the cabinet (which isn't closed at all, I built this using my old desk scrap wood because I wanted something that get exactly the depth of the A8A and the appropriate height for my center speaker under the TV). So I need something less than sixteen inches high. :(

Rel T/9 ?

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
More I watch movies (I am binge watching all Marvels in the right order right now), more I want more bass. But there isn't space for good big subwoofer like the pb2000 or 3000. The only room left is in the cabinet (which isn't closed at all, I built this using my old desk scrap wood because I wanted something that get exactly the depth of the A8A and the appropriate height for my center speaker under the TV). So I need something less than sixteen inches high. :(

Rel T/9 ?
You gotta find a way to put at least one Sub bro!! You have to!! ;) put one next to your sofa don't tell your daughters, and when they watching a movie, watch them jump off the sofa!! ;):D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
You gotta find a way to put at least one Sub bro!! You have to!! ;) put one next to your sofa don't tell your daughters, and when they watching a movie, watch them jump off the sofa!! ;):D
Are there Subs that can be driven wireless in order to put them anywhere in the room ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Svs makes a wireless kit. I would still argue that running a cable is the best, but I haven’t really heard anything negative about the wireless transmitter… *shrugs

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Are there Subs that can be driven wireless in order to put them anywhere in the room ?
Yes they do have wireless Subs! I highly recommend you get one! With that room you have, oooh man! Boom!! Pow!! Umm get Monster Hunter!! I love that movie!

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
From what I understand:

Extra bass is allowing the speaker to reproduce bass frequencies that are usually handled by the subwoofer. Without extra bass, the amp will not send lower frequencies. So if you want to benefit from both subwoofer and your speakers or like me, you don't own yet any subwoofer, then use extra bass.
BUT, DON'T if your speaker setting is set to small, because then the amp will overshoot the bass in an ugly non linear way.

Enhancer is processing the input signal in order to give it a specific color, it's a DSP thing that is supposed to reproduce what you used to hear in some theaters... I haven't done any back and forth tests to see if I can hear any change.
You may want to watch Gene's video again. He doesn't talk about using Extra Bass without a subwoofer. He is talking about using the Extra Bass with a subwoofer. Quote at about the 9:05 mark..."Extra bass should ONLY be used if your main speakers are set to large and you want subwoofer output in 2 channel sources." Without a subwoofer I believe you run the risk of damage to your mains with Extra Bass enabled...just my $.02.

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
Rel T/9 ?
They only claim -6db at 27Hz. No good for shaking the floorboards.

Reviewers say they sound as if they go much deeper, but REL have a reputation and you know what reviewers are like.

Even SVS 3000 Micro will go deeper. :)

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I installed the Yamaha RX-A8A. I did not have the time to calibrate it. I took the measurements from my RX-V6A and it is good for now. Here is a photo of the difference in size between the A8A and V6A.
1637194595672.png

The thing is massive and really heavy. 24 kg.
1637194768047.png

Placed it on top of the rack with the AC Infinity on top and it runs hotter than the V6A. 2 degrees hotter at -40db. My family is sleeping so I could not crank the volume past this value.

It connected without any issues to the eARC of the TV - LG OLED55C1, discovered and labeled correctly the attached devices, Shield and 2 Apple TV 4K. I connected only 5.1.2 speakers.
First observations:
- it did not perform any firmware update online. If tomorrow will not be present I will update by USB.
- for the first time I really heard the virtual back speakers while watching Locke & Key on Netflix in Dolby Atmos. Also I heard the virtual Dolby presence rear speakers. Wow!
- at the first hearing from spatial point of view, it sounds vastly better than the V6A.
- I am "happy" to report that the Dolby Vision bug on Shield, that produced black screen is present also on the A8A. At least in firmware 1.10.
- AI is behaving a bit strange when changing source, like is searching the right audio format cycling through different formats. I will see after the firmware update.
- so far no loss of sound when changing sources, no decoder off error that I had on the V6A.
- on eARC no Straight error when playing Youtube app on TV. I can select Drama or other DSP to upmix 2.0. On V6A on eArc the AVR defaulted to straight and was not possible to change to Drama or changing did not produce anything.

These are the first observations. I will attempt a calibration tomorrow on the same 5.1.2 to test again the virtual speakers and then one on 5.1.4 later, probably during the weekend.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Rel T/9 ?
Don't waste money on REL. Very bad performance to cost ratio.

Seriously, WHY LIMIT YOURSELF?

Acoustics are what they are, you either work with them or they fight you. If you are going to spend money in this hobby, do it with the intention of getting the best performance. If you opt for aesthetics first, then why care about any of this?
If you have the desire to build a good quality rig, don't stop. Do it well, do it right. Approach your room with fresh eyes... AND EARS.

And for the love of all that's holy in Sound Reproduction, DO NOT PUT YOUR SUBS IN A CUBBY.

(We won't be friends if you do.) :p :D

:cool:

Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
I installed the Yamaha RX-A8A. I did not have the time to calibrate it. I took the measurements from my RX-V6A and it is good for now. Here is a photo of the difference in size between the A8A and V6A.
View attachment 51582

View attachment 51583

Placed it on top of the rack with the AC Infinity on top and it runs hotter than the V6A. 2 degrees hotter at -40db. My family is sleeping so I could not crank the volume past this value.

It connected without any issues to the eARC of the TV - LG OLED55C1, discovered and labeled correctly the attached devices, Shield and 2 Apple TV 4K. I connected only 5.1.2 speakers.
First observations:
- it did not perform any firmware update online. If tomorrow will not be present I will update by USB.
- for the first time I really heard the virtual back speakers while watching Locke & Key on Netflix in Dolby Atmos. Also I heard the virtual Dolby presence rear speakers. Wow!
- at the first hearing from spatial point of view, it sounds vastly better than the V6A.
- I am "happy" to report that the Dolby Vision bug on Shield, that produced black screen is present also on the A8A. At least in firmware 1.10.
- AI is behaving a bit strange, like is searching the right audio format cycling through different formats. I will see after the firmware update.
- so far no loss of sound when changing sources, no decoder off error that I had on the V6A.
- on eARC no Straight error when playing Youtube app on TV. I can select Drama or other DSP to upmix 2.0. On V6A on eArc the AVR defaulted to straight and was not possible to change to Drama or changing did not produce anything.

These are the first observations. I will attempt a calibration tomorrow on the same 5.1.2 to test again the virtual speakers and then one on 5.1.4 later, probably during the weekend.
Thanks for posting the pic with your AC Infinity. Now I know what mine will look like when I get it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
View attachment 51582

View attachment 51583

First observations:
- AI is behaving a bit strange, like is searching the right audio format cycling through different formats. I will see after the firmware update.

I'd wait till Yamaha sends the update via internet. Here's the thing, not that you'd mess up doing the update via USB, if something was to go wrong, say power goes out or something just crazy Yamaha will Not warranty your AVR if you brick it. Yamaha says on their website that if anything goes wrong when updating via USB they won't warrant. I bricked a Onkyo by doing update via USB, I was moving the remote accidentally hit the power button turning it off. Yeah turned it back on and had Error across the front display wouldn't do nothing it wouldn't respond to no commands anything. I got lucky, called into Onkyo's customer service and a tech took over remotely and finished the update. Just a word of caution.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
I'd wait till Yamaha sends the update via internet. Here's the thing, not that you'd mess up doing the update via USB, if something was to go wrong, say power goes out or something just crazy Yamaha will Not warranty your AVR if you brick it. Yamaha says on their website that if anything goes wrong when updating via USB they won't warrant. I bricked a Onkyo by doing update via USB, I was moving the remote accidentally hit the power button turning it off. Yeah turned it back on and had Error across the front display wouldn't do nothing it wouldn't respond to no commands anything. I got lucky, called into Onkyo's customer service and a tech took over remotely and finished the update. Just a word of caution.
I've noticed that you have warned against the USB method a couple of times. I went and tried to find where it states that the warranty is voided. The only thing I can find is this...
1637200241152.png

Can you please share with us where you are seeing this?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Oh I like the way you got your TV setup looks like it's in the wall. Was just picking at ya bro! You got a very nice setup. I do believe I'll get me Sony Master Series OLED 65" next year..
I have the LG C1 and it's awesome! Walk out basement so not direct light but it's no problem. I do get my pot light reflections but I have that to on my Samsung qled upstairs

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
From what I understand:

I have to experiment. If anyone else has an opinion on ENHANCER let us know

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis