Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
It's here! The box is massive and very heavy. Unfortunately I will be able to install it only in about 10 hours.
1637151482224.png

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I figured out how to change the front display on the unit. You press in the small dial and then turn left or right to change what's on the display. I wonder if there is a way to change it from the remote so you don't have to get off the couch lol
The method I gave you is for the remote. Here is the tab you have to access from the web control.
1637152122763.png

This can be done also from the setup menu on your TV. Press SETUP on remote, go to FUNCTION and then User Interface, then Remote Color Key. There chose Key Assign - Display Control. You have in the same screen the allocation of the colored keys on the remote.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Some news about my issues with Dolby Atmos in games from a PC : It appears it's a known issue and... it's just a display name issue (the Amp isn't displaying Atmos but it is Atmos from what Dolby is explaining).

Here the email I got from the customer service once they analysed the Dolby Access logs...

"This is a known issue we're aware of and are investigating currently. It appears to only happen whenever games that support Atmos are being played.

As long as you've got Dolby Atmos for Home Theater setup in your settings you will be receiving Atmos audio, this only appears to be a visual bug from our testing. "

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
The method I gave you is for the remote. Here is the tab you have to access from the web control.
View attachment 51566
This can be done also from the setup menu on your TV. Press SETUP on remote, go to FUNCTION and then User Interface, then Remote Color Key. There chose Key Assign - Display Control. You have in the same screen the allocation of the colored keys on the remote.
Worked like a charm, thanks so much!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Are those the Reserve series Polk speakers? How are you liking them?
I don't know if you were asking about my setup but all speakers are B&W (columns are 2006 B&W704, surround are 707 S2 and central speaker is a HTM71 S2. My front height are very old 6 Ohms Yamaha speakers that were coming with a Pianocraft mini stereo amp... it's more to get a "proof" that front height is bringing something when using Atmos. Sadly it appears it actually bring something so now I need to think about a definitive 7.X.4 configuration with better speakers and better placement :)

The rabbit hole..

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Just listen once again to Gene video about something I totally missed : Yamaha Extra Bass.
As I have no subs for now, it's really noticeable when switching it on not to have the columns bass improved.
Don't miss this very interesting video and if like me, you listen to stereo music without subs, and your speakers are set to large -> extra bass is worth a try !!! Massive attack Teardrop sounds even better !

About the subwoofers I was looking to, they are all too tall to fit my diy cabinet. I need something not too high... Any suggestion ?

(OMG Inertia Creeps sounds so good...)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
About the subwoofers I was looking to, they are all too tall to fit my diy cabinet. I need something not too high... Any suggestion ?
Yes.
Don’t put them in a cabinet. Put them where they will actually work the best. Acoustics is a b1tch, and she doesn’t always play nicely. :)

D

Dezed

Enthusiast
Some news about my issues with Dolby Atmos in games from a PC : It appears it's a known issue and... it's just a display name issue (the Amp isn't displaying Atmos but it is Atmos from what Dolby is explaining).

Here the email I got from the customer service once they analysed the Dolby Access logs...

"This is a known issue we're aware of and are investigating currently. It appears to only happen whenever games that support Atmos are being played.

As long as you've got Dolby Atmos for Home Theater setup in your settings you will be receiving Atmos audio, this only appears to be a visual bug from our testing. "
I’m not sure if I buy this. I have the same issue on PC, Dolby atmos on gaming shows up as PCM on the receiver. I haven’t tested extensively but in pure direct mode on the receiver I don’t see any output of front presence or rear presence speakers. Why would we believe our AVR is processing atmos if it doesn’t think it is?

i have no issue with Dolby atmos mat signals from my Apple TV or Xbox series x - those show up properly as pcm/Dolby atmos.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Hi all: I am new here from South Fl. Been into AV since a kid, currently a senior and trying to get around the new A8A which replaced an aged RX-A3000. I have a 7.1.4 setup with PSB's Image 6T towers, 9C center, 10S surrounds and surround backs and recently added 4 SVS Prime Elevations. Sub is a SVS PB4000. All connected to a Sony 85X90CH(900H). Also Akai GXM50, Technics SL1200, Denon CD player. Sony X800 UHD player. Plus a lot of vintage gear.
The new A8A is quite good so far, but I have noticed the delay and sound dropout from HBO as others did. I also have been experiencing a "Pop" sound intermittently, from various speaker (not always from the same one) when I am within a streaming app changing programs, or exiting the app. Sometimes when I go into the TV setup and exit out I hear a pop, too. This is not continuous, but happens sometimes. Does it with You Tube also. I have mentioned this in another forum and just need to know if others have experienced anything like this with their A8A. I really want to know if this is an issue as my time to return is still active.
I have tried changing several HDMI cables(8k certified etc.) switching off eArc. I have turned off all enhancements etc. as I do not use these, but I have not been able to get rid of this "POP". I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
chaap.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I’m not sure if I buy this. I have the same issue on PC, Dolby atmos on gaming shows up as PCM on the receiver. I haven’t tested extensively but in pure direct mode on the receiver I don’t see any output of front presence or rear presence speakers. Why would we believe our AVR is processing atmos if it doesn’t think it is?

i have no issue with Dolby atmos mat signals from my Apple TV or Xbox series x - those show up properly as pcm/Dolby atmos.
One simple way to solve this is switch to Straight and to put on the AVR small screen the number of speakers engaged by the sound. It is the next screen after sound decoder. If PCM triggers the presence speakers then you have Atmos. If not, then you have whatever 5.1, 7.1 configuration the AVR is showing.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Hi all: I am new here from South Fl. Been into AV since a kid, currently a senior and trying to get around the new A8A which replaced an aged RX-A3000. I have a 7.1.4 setup with PSB's Image 6T towers, 9C center, 10S surrounds and surround backs and recently added 4 SVS Prime Elevations. Sub is a SVS PB4000. All connected to a Sony 85X90CH(900H). Also Akai GXM50, Technics SL1200, Denon CD player. Sony X800 UHD player. Plus a lot of vintage gear.
The new A8A is quite good so far, but I have noticed the delay and sound dropout from HBO as others did. I also have been experiencing a "Pop" sound intermittently, from various speaker (not always from the same one) when I am within a streaming app changing programs, or exiting the app. Sometimes when I go into the TV setup and exit out I hear a pop, too. This is not continuous, but happens sometimes. Does it with You Tube also. I have mentioned this in another forum and just need to know if others have experienced anything like this with their A8A. I really want to know if this is an issue as my time to return is still active.
I have tried changing several HDMI cables(8k certified etc.) switching off eArc. I have turned off all enhancements etc. as I do not use these, but I have not been able to get rid of this "POP". I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
chaap.
I got to pops sometimes. About delay I am not an expert but when using eARC it sometimes (depending on what the TV is doing to the sound stream) add some audio latency. In my case when running sound from PC to the TV to the AMP I have 400ms delay which makes this configuration unusable. So I am plugging inputs directly into to the AVR and just use one HDMI from the amp to the TV. No sound lag/delay with this configuration.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Thanks
chaap.
On your POP issue I believe if you go into settings, Yamaha says something about that. Can't remember where in settings I saw that. Something to do with HDMI or Mode setting.

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
As mentioned above, the best place for subs isn't always where we'd like. I assume you want to test 'stereo subs' though - not worth it IMHO. And it will look much more tidy if the subs aren't seemingly randomly placed about the room. :D

I have my subs in the main unit as I've found no real benefit from placing them elsewhere.

I can't use huge ported ones as I'd have no room for the TV. Can't even use two SVS SB2000 Pro as I couldn't open the door! So have the SB3000 Micro on the right, because it isn't as wide. Together, they give a lot of extended bass in my 12 foot by 15 cinema room.

I reckon that two of the SB3000s would probably be ample for your bigger space. The advantage of the SVS ones is they have a three band filter for room correction, which together with bass management in the A8A should allow you to blend them in and get rid of nasty room modes.

Badly set-up subwoofers sound far worse than not having any. :)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic

I made this test and if the absence of front height in straight means that it's not atmos, then you were right, it's not atmos.

When playing a Dolby Atmos demo video from the Dolby Access app
1637160254680.png

When playing a game
1637160285069.png

Edit : I sent this two pictures to Dolby customer service. Wait and see...

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I made this test and if the absence of front height in straight means that it's not atmos, then you were right, it's not atmos.

View attachment 51574

When playing a game
View attachment 51575

Is that a ghost! standing outside the window in that photo? ;) Walking Dead! Run for your lifes!! ;) :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Is that a ghost! standing outside the window in that photo? ;) Walking Dead! Run for your lifes!! ;) :D
Yeah some people asking why I went for a Samsung QN instead of an Oled... REFLECTIONS !
Even with the triple polarizing coating, I have reflections... But the QN90A is really bright so it works. Oled would have been watched out in daylight conditions.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic

Xbox series x shows up as pcm/Atmos??? Not truehd Atmos?

D

Dezed

Enthusiast

View attachment 51574

When playing a game
View attachment 51575

I think once it starts working you’ll be disappointed if it’s like the atmos on Xbox series X. I measured that even when connected to the receiver it adds over 100ms latency to audio over regular 7.1 lpcm. I expect this to be the case cuz it’s the same tech in both. But let’s see if you get it resolved.
Xbox series x shows up as pcm/Atmos??? Not truehd Atmos?
For gaming yes. This is because xbox is using Dolby atmos mat similar to Apple TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis