Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
As a neophyte I take from the ASR review that the DAC's suck but otherwise the box itself, for $600, isn't terrible. Middling performance at best but as others there pointed out, $600 for what is in the package ain't bad. I don't know enough about what I'm looking at though to say one way or the other if the problems mentioned are audible. Seems like there was debate on that particularly if you were expected to crank it up or not.

Frankly, the problem signs for me are the poor QC and terrible firmware bugs from first glance. I don't know what teams they put on what products but clearly they let slip past what, to me, seem like easy to test for scenarios. I take it these DAC issues can't be "updated" via firmware releases out of the system in any way?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
As a neophyte I take from the ASR review that the DAC's suck but otherwise the box itself, for $600, isn't terrible. Middling performance at best but as others there pointed out, $600 for what is in the package ain't bad. I don't know enough about what I'm looking at though to say one way or the other if the problems mentioned are audible. Seems like there was debate on that particularly if you were expected to crank it up or not.

Frankly, the problem signs for me are the poor QC and terrible firmware bugs from first glance. I don't know what teams they put on what products but clearly they let slip past what, to me, seem like easy to test for scenarios. I take it these DAC issues can't be "updated" via firmware releases out of the system in any way?
Yeah he want on saying that cranking up the V6A would Induce a lot of distortion. That that was my take from reading his findings.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
So after asking again about “compatibility” by just exactly how that works and when they plan to fix it. I got a copy and paste answer that they are committed to supporting HDMI 2.1 and all its features with a update next year sometime. I didn’t ask about that, I wanted to know about the compatibility issues. I more or less got the run around. So f@ck it...I’m returning it this weekend and getting a Sony STR-DH1080 and two extra speakers for atmos.

What a mess Yamaha have become. I have never seen a company so dead set on saying nothing is wrong with their product, it’s the other products you are using with it that are not compatible.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So after asking again about “compatibility” by just exactly how that works and when they plan to fix it. I got a copy and paste answer that they are committed to supporting HDMI 2.1 and all its features with a update next year sometime. I didn’t ask about that, I wanted to know about the compatibility issues. I more or less got the run around. So f@ck it...I’m returning it this weekend and getting a Sony STR-DH1080 and two extra speakers for atmos.

What a mess Yamaha have become. I have never seen a company so dead set on saying nothing is wrong with their product, it’s the other products you are using with it that are not compatible.
My how the Mighty have fallen. Best Reliability best, NOT anymore! Yamaha = the new Onkyo's of past.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Guys, just get a Denon with 3 x 120mm fans to cool it. :D

This HDMI 2.1 is for the birds right now. If you truly need HDMI 2.1, wait another 1-2 years. :D

If I were Yamaha, I would stop production of the new 8K AVR and start up production of the RX-A1080, A2080, and A3080. :D

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
I have the TSR-700 and have no problems in video or audio performance with my Sony x90ch tv and infinity r263 speakers. While all the reviews are making me nervous, I don’t have the urge to return it either since everything is working so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B

BombayBeats

Audiophyte
I have the TSR-700 and have no problems in video or audio performance with my Sony x90ch tv and infinity r263 speakers. While all the reviews are making me nervous, I don’t have the urge to return it either since everything is working so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a last year's TCL that does 4k and HDR, have it connected to the TSR-700 over arc. Using Fire stick 4k, Xbox one X and Switch. No problems so far, so I am keeping it. Costco has a good policy on returns if I ever notice any of the mentioned issues.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Costco had no issues with my return. Results will very of course. I'm glad some are having a great experience with their units. Those who connect their devices to their TVs and send audio to the Yamaha will fare better than some who connected their devices to the Yamaha and send video out to the TV. My TSR-700 simply had too many issues and Yamaha support rubbed me the wrong way. I know, hard to believe, right? So, I returned mine. I did not want to wait for features and fixes that may or may not come over a firmware update and miss the return window.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Just ordered another Yamaha RX V6A today. Getting it Straight from Yamaha.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
No, you just did not want to put three 120mm fans on top of your AVR. :D
I've a number of very, very silent 120mm (and larger) fans that are running at very low RPM. As for AVR I got two 80mm Noctua with reduced RPM on top of my Denon AVR-X4200W, silently :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've a number of very, very silent 120mm (and larger) fans that are running at very low RPM. As for AVR I got two 80mm Noctua with reduced RPM on top of my Denon AVR-X4200W, silently :cool:
As silent as they are, the fans are adding ~ 20dB of Noise. There goes the great ASR specs. :D

When Amir does his next measurements, somebody needs to remind him to add 3 x 120mm fans atop the AVR first before making any measurements. :D

Last edited:
X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
I’m trying to decide between a Sony str-dh790 and a str-dn1080. Local Best Buy has both of them. I know the 1080 has a lot of bling the 790 doesn’t. Any other receivers I should be looking at around that same price range? My current speakers are 8 ohms 140w.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis