Yamaha RX-A8A No 8k

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Right, anybody with an RX-V6A/TSR-700 or RX-A2A was robbed even AFTER the update came in concerning 4K/8K. Hopefully the Aventage models' updates come in quickly and fully featured. If not, I'd return the f#%kers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m skeptical when I see such promises for often they are just empty promises. It’s better to buy something else that has that functionality of you want it.
About that…
:p
Sometimes this functionality is expected to be ready.
Clearly Onkyo and Sound United were able to pull that rabbit out of their respective hats.
But how do you tell if it’s too pie-in-the-sky like the old promises from Emotiva about the RMC-1?
*shrugs

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
About that…
:p
Sometimes this functionality is expected to be ready.
Clearly Onkyo and Sound United were able to pull that rabbit out of their respective hats.
But how do you tell if it’s too pie-in-the-sky like the old promises from Emotiva about the RMC-1?
*shrugs
Not that easy but a company’s history can give a fairly good indication how empty that promise is. That said, even though you get the promised feature update it might have gone a long time before that. If you really need the feature then one should consider buying another product, or delay the purchase.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not that easy but a company’s history can give a fairly good indication how empty that promise is
True. You would expect that Yamaha ans SU would be on top of this.
This is why I've been so hard on Yamaha over their 2.1 issues. For such a major play to be bungling their second release with this technology is pathetic.
SU fixed their 1st release... maybe not a perfect situation, but they acted and delivered.
Onkyo got their gear out this year and working.
The new low-end Denons reportedly work.
Yamaha pushed from an Autumn update to February. WTF?
:)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
True. You would expect that Yamaha ans SU would be on top of this.
This is why I've been so hard on Yamaha over their 2.1 issues. For such a major play to be bungling their second release with this technology is pathetic.
SU fixed their 1st release... maybe not a perfect situation, but they acted and delivered.
Onkyo got their gear out this year and working.
The new low-end Denons reportedly work.
Yamaha pushed from an Autumn update to February. WTF?
:)
The vaunted Yamaha reliability. :rolleyes:

They get the update just in time for next years models release.:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess my point isnt getting across as to what I am asking here. I am not asking about what is the recommended way to setup things. I am also not asking about HDMI 2.1. I am asking if my AVR will allow 8k video. Right now, today, it says I have a maximum resolution of 4k.

An analogy might be. I live in a hot climate. I buy a car with heated seats. I try to use the heated seats but they do not turn on. I am told I don't need heated seats because it's hot outside so I should not worry about it. I paid for heated seats and I would like to try them. My reason for doing so is irrelevant.

Yamaha advertises full 8k upscaling from any source or resolution...
Just get used to the fact you have purchased a piece of phantom ware. If you are happy with everything else, then just be happy with the unit. 8K versus 4k, can not possibly make one wit of difference, it is just a con.

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for the replies/input. I guess it's clear then anything 8k via hdmi 2.0/2.1 shouldn't be anticipated until possibly the next fw update in Feb if at all then. As indicated by many 8k really doesn't offer a whole lot to begin with. I guess I'll leave it and see what happens later.

For what it's worth, I am quite happy despite this. I don't have tons to compare against but the a8 is certainly a drastic uptick from my previous Yamaha which I'd say could barely do truehd, forget about Atmos. So from a purely audio perspective the a8 has drastically improved my cinema experience.

Cheers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis