Infinity speakers back on sale!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you tried the AVR with any other speakers to make sure it is working properly?
You said it was your dad's old AVR, so I am wondering that there might be something off about it.
Also check the manual and if there is a "reset" option, I would reset it just to make sure there are not any errant settings lurking! If not, put it in "Stereo Direct" mode
Also make sure that (assuming you are feeding it from the TV) you go through the TV menu and disable any "audio enhancement" "features". The idea is to get everything back to the "plain-Jane" signal, then you can play with any tweaking from there. For example, a EQ system to help the TV speakers may artificially add bass and treble to help out, but with good speakers like the Infinity R162's you don't want that.
Is your source the TV? How is it connected to the AVR?
As you describe it, I think the issue is something bigger than position of your speakers. These speakers with the R12 should far exceed a Vizio soundbar (although I do believe Vizio makes some decent soundbars - but they are limited to typically 3" drivers and often the sub is more woofer than subwoofer!
Yes, good idea. Before you give up on the speakers make sure the issue isn't with that receiver!

Quick story about a personal experience had when I upgraded my subwoofers. I went from budget 10" subs to higher quality 15" subs and was thoroughly unimpressed at first. My little 10" subs seemed to play louder than the 15s! Wtf?? Well, as it turns out my new subs seemed quieter because the distortion was gone! I wasn't used to hearing really tight clean bass. It took me some time to readjust my expectations.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Yes, good idea. Before you give up on the speakers make sure the issue isn't with that receiver!

Quick story about a personal experience had when I upgraded my subwoofers. I went from budget 10" subs to higher quality 15" subs and was thoroughly unimpressed at first. My little 10" subs seemed to play louder than the 15s! Wtf?? Well, as it turns out my new subs seemed quieter because the distortion was gone! I wasn't used to hearing really tight clean bass. It took me some time to readjust my expectations.
Same thing happened to me when I went from my BIC's to my Rythmiks. Got to used to the distortion from a bad sub design.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Reviews from AudioScienceReview:

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have the RC263 in two setups and R253 towers.... amazed at how clean and clear they are for the price I got them at. The bass on the 253s did take some time to break in but again amazing clarity if you put power to them

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Just a heads up that Infinity came back out with their R263 Towers at $199 each. I bet that the improvement over the R253 is marginal. However, did that stop me from trying them? No I ordered a pair. These haven't been around for a few years I understand and I would have bought them originally.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just a heads up that Infinity came back out with their R263 Towers at $199 each. I bet that the improvement over the R253 is marginal. However, did that stop me from trying them? No I ordered a pair. These haven't been around for a few years I understand and I would have bought them originally.
Can you provide a link?
I don't see it!
At $200 each hard not to bite!
Let us know your thoughts. You are probably right - assuming a crossover to a subwoofer and the the 253 plays loud enough for your needs, I wouldn't expect much difference in the sound!

D

diablo900t

Audiophyte
I ordered a pair yesterday, couldn't resist. I'm using the RC263 center, which I think is great. Not sure the R263s will be able to replace my JBL Studio 590s, but we'll see!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Insanely good price for that speaker. That is a crazy good deal for the level of engineering in that thing. Anyone shopping for towers at anywhere near that price range needs to jump on that as soon as humanly possible.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Sorry I didn’t post a link earlier. One thing I found with the 253 is they took a while to break in, especially the woofers. So I might step back in sound for a bit while the 263s break in. But at that price it was worth the entertainment factor to try them out and likely keep them. I have Polk monitor 60s as my surrounds so likely move the 253s back there with 263 up front. Would you say 253 > Polk monitor 60?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry I didn’t post a link earlier. One thing I found with the 253 is they took a while to break in, especially the woofers. So I might step back in sound for a bit while the 263s break in. But at that price it was worth the entertainment factor to try them out and likely keep them. I have Polk monitor 60s as my surrounds so likely move the 253s back there with 263 up front. Would you say 253 > Polk monitor 60?
I've never heard the Polk monitor 60's, so cannot say. @shadyJ may have.
Speaking in generalities, Polk is a bit more hit and miss while Infinity (and parent company Harman) does a better job of making a consistently good speaker for (home audio, at least-don't know about car speakers)

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Kurt, as you guys have so much experience with so many speakers. I'm curious if you can compare these Infinity's to others and say whether they perform far above their cost on sale. (amazing prices frankly). I know they are more entry level priced speakers but my hope is that they perform in a different class than most entry level. But not sure if you know what they are on par with? Maybe an impossible question but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts

FYI I also have a set up with JBL 590s with the infinity RC263 and JBL 530s in the back which I also got on a crazy sale from harmon. Honestly the Infinity's do just as good as those believe it or not but I wouldn't get rid of any of them. Enjoy having both setups.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Aside from a huge clearance on DCM TimePiece and TimeFrameEvolution (which appears to be completely dried up), the Infinity Reference and JBL Studio 5 series represent the best values at their prices that I have found!
I also have both and enjoy the differences. I would probably give JBL preference for HT and rock and Infinity the nod for Jazz and Classical, but they are both great at everything and I do love how "engaging" the JBL's are (perhaps the horns make them more dynamic? I'm not really sure!) but feel the Infinity are more refined. That is of course my totally subjective opinion!
The next better speaker I have found (at 600/pr) is the Canton Vento 826 (which is my preference) or the Elac DBR-62 (which is the "go to" if you like a less-forward, laid-back speaker). The Vento uses a ceramic tweeter like the Infinity (but the Vento is a superior execution - the Elac uses a soft dome)

The Canton Chrono SL 526.2 is also (as best as my ear can tell) audibly equivalent to the Vento. I believe the only difference is the really nice curved cabinet of the Vento. In the past, the Chrono was less expensive, but right now they are both $600/pr (historically, a great price for the Vento and a "meh" price for the Chrono). I think the Chrono has been around $500 and maybe $450 for an open box return!

So, yeah, it takes a bit more money to make a worthwhile step up, IMHO!

Last edited:
GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
I bought a few of the R263. Does the RC263 rotate back through on sale often?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I bought a few of the R263. Does the RC263 rotate back through on sale often?
Yes it does. I have two of those as centers for my infinity set up and my JBL set up. I'm guessing they will get more. I don't see why they would have brought back the 263 if they didn't plan on selling more of this set.

I also bought 263s and guess what. They both came with damage on them. The JBLs is got on a pallet from harmon and were in MINT condition (even though I bought a refurb deal).

Their infinity tower boxes are so poorly packaged and UPS is probably not a help. However, I do like working with the Harman people and replacements are coming soon. So I'll be able to tell how they perform fairly soon.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
Yes it does. I have two of those as centers for my infinity set up and my JBL set up. I'm guessing they will get more. I don't see why they would have brought back the 263 if they didn't plan on selling more of this set.

I also bought 263s and guess what. They both came with damage on them. The JBLs is got on a pallet from harmon and were in MINT condition (even though I bought a refurb deal).

Their infinity tower boxes are so poorly packaged and UPS is probably not a help. However, I do like working with the Harman people and replacements are coming soon. So I'll be able to tell how they perform fairly soon.
Mine just came today. Haven't checked for damage yet. They were on a pallet, and I didn't see any damage on the packaging.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Infinity Speakers / Subs are on sale again at Harman Audio:

Harman Audio Infinity
Weird, the R162 (6" bookshelf) is now missing from the line-up!
I wish I understood their strategy - currently 5 out of 7 models in this line are on sale. That is typical - it changes, but they are never on sale across the board. Right now, they may be hoping people will pay the full $500 for the RC263 Center speaker! But I imagine most would simply buy the RC253 Center that is on sale!
Now that the DCM's have sold out (almost all) these Infinities are back in teh top tier of value speakers, IMHO!

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
The stock of R162s didn't last very long today. I wanted to get a pair or three, but the person I chatted with said they won't be replenished until October/November. I bought some R152s instead.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Kew would these speaker be in your top five? DCM killer? I’d like to see your top 10 one day. I know the Cantons would be at least in your top 3 position. Tempting at that price of 160/180 prices. Did the center with midrange ever go on sale? If they did how low were they?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis