JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Picture Quality will be different, especially the Black Levels. The higher-end JVC LCoS will have the best PQ and especially Black Levels.

Factory Picture Presets will be different.The JVC "Natural" setting will look different than other brands equivalent of "Natural".

DLP will look different than LCoS.

Will DLP have much brighter (lumens) picture than LCoS?

The NZ3 has 3,000 Lumens (probably Normal Lamp Mode). But you can easily tell that even the Economy Lamp mode looks extremely bright.

Now the NX5 in Economy Lamp mode is already very bright in a darken room. But it probably won't be as bright after 2,000 hours. Lasers are supposed to retain the brightness for almost the entire 20,000 hours.

Of course, we all have different opinions. But if I could choose between the JVC NX5 vs NZ3, I would take something IN BETWEEN. :D

I want the 3,000 Lumens of the NZ3, but the awesome robust Power Lens shift system of the NX5.

Sure, the overall PQ of the NZ3 is definitely not as awesome as the NX5 and NX7. But I am willing to give up about 15-20% of the picture quality and get Brighter Laser PJ at a lower price.

The MSRP of the NZ3 is $3,700. If they could implement the same awesome power lens system of the NX5, the MSRP could be $4,500, maybe less?

So for me personally, for the PRICE, the ONLY true negative thing about the NZ3 is the cheaper manual lens system. Other than that, I'm am extremely happy with the overall PQ.
What guestimate would you say the percentage of black level is the NZ3 compared to your NX5? Say the NX5 is 100% black (it isn't, but for arguments sake) would the NZ3 be 70%? 80?

Just curious since the laser light engine is a very interesting concept. I'm still leaning toward the NX5, but saving money is always good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What guestimate would you say the percentage of black level is the NZ3 compared to your NX5? Say the NX5 is 100% black (it isn't, but for arguments sake) would the NZ3 be 70%? 80?

Just curious since the laser light engine is a very interesting concept. I'm still leaning toward the NX5, but saving money is always good.
I would say the NZ3 Black Level is 80% vs 100% of the NX5.

I would say the BenQ W6000 Black Level is 70% of the NZ3. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, if Black Level is a 100% absolute must, then no doubt the NX5 is better than the NZ3.
Yep, that's the main gripe I have with my current DLP. I loved it for a few years (it still puts up a hell of a good picture for it's price point. Especially bright images), but it's black levels aren't good.

I didn't really notice that much until I got my Panasonic VT60 and it's black levels were so good the first thing I told my wife was "we need a new projector".

Still fun to watch movies on the big screen, but I've had it a long time at this point. It's time to upgrade.

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
Many people believe that finest black levels are visible only in "bat cave" like environment while in a standard living room with white walls the brightness is more important then contrast.
The LX3 seams a better choice for a standard living room, while NX5 is more indicated for a dedicated room.
What is better for one, it is not necessary better for all.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Installing an NX5 for a customer today and an NX7 for another customer next week. Wish I could put them side by side, as the NX7 has deeper black levels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Many people believe that finest black levels are visible only in "bat cave" like environment while in a standard living room with white walls the brightness is more important then contrast.
The LX3 seams a better choice for a standard living room, while NX5 is more indicated for a dedicated room.
What is better for one, it is not necessary better for all.
Quality is expected to increase with each model of PJ (NZ3 --> NX5 --> NX7 --> NX9).

It's natural to try to compare black levels, colors, brightness, etc.

Is each model up WORTH the price increase?

I am truly enjoying the heck out of the NZ3 the past couple of weeks! :D

I've watched TV series like "Start UP" Season 1 - 3 in 1080p and the colors look extremely vibrant, the black levels look really black and the picture is extremely bright.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what's subjectively "enjoyable" to the individual vs price point, not so much the specs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was watching the Omaha beach scene in Saving Private Ryan (4K) with the NZ3. Wow, the picture quality looked awesome. Sounded great too, but I didn’t expect the picture to look that great.

Last time I saw that scene was with the BenQ W6000 last year. Most significant difference on the NZ3. :D

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
I was watching the Omaha beach scene in Saving Private Ryan (4K) with the NZ3. Wow, the picture quality looked awesome. Sounded great too, but I didn’t expect the picture to look that great.

Last time I saw that scene was with the BenQ W6000 last year. Most significant difference on the NZ3. :D
Can you post a picture? this will mitigate the wait. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

You get the Atmos version of Saving Private Ryan? It's pretty sweet.

It's almost like you want folks to buy the NZ3...:)

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
I have some question regarding the placement. Screen size is around 108" and projector distance is about 16 feet (5 meters) so the lens zoom will be at full telephoto. Projector will positioned over a shelf which more or less alligned with the top of the screen (slightly lower). Is this a confortable placement for the projector? Is it better to have projector a full telephoto, full wide on in the middle and which are the differences in IQ/Brightness?
Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You get the Atmos version of Saving Private Ryan? It's pretty sweet.

It's almost like you want folks to buy the NZ3...:)
Yes. Atmos version. Definitely sweet.:D

Doesn’t matter what people buy. I’m just giving my real impression since there are no true reviews yet of the NZ3.

I think my account of the lens shift issues relative to the Room Temperature will scare some people. This is something JVC must address.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have some question regarding the placement. Screen size is around 108" and projector distance is about 16 feet (5 meters) so the lens zoom will be at full telephoto. Projector will positioned over a shelf which more or less alligned with the top of the screen (slightly lower). Is this a confortable placement for the projector? Is it better to have projector a full telephoto, full wide on in the middle and which are the differences in IQ/Brightness?
Thanks!
I think the closer the PJ is to the screen, the brighter. But I think most people recommend something in the middle.

For 108” the NZ3 will be extremely bright in Eco mode, probably TOO bright if the room is totally darkened.

My screen is 150”, distance is 23.5FT, Eco lamp, Natural Color, and it’s painful when the scene goes from night for a few minutes to daylight. And I’m the kind of person who NEVER needs to even wear SUNGLASSES outdoors.

So for 108” screen, most people will be blinded for a few minutes during the night-day scene transition. :D

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
So for 108” screen, most people will be blinded for a few minutes during the night-day scene transition. :D
That's incredible! So in my setup, having the projector at full telephoto, may help to reduce a bit the brightness.
I still remember my first projectr, the Sharp XV-Z90e from 2003, which certainly didn't shine for brightness.:D
Forgot to say, I have a 1.2 gain screen :rolleyes:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's incredible! So in my setup, having the projector at full telephoto, may help to reduce a bit the brightness.
I still remember my first projectr, the Sharp XV-Z90e from 2003, which certainly didn't shine for brightness.:D
Forgot to say, I have a 1.2 gain screen :rolleyes:
My first HT PJ was a SharpVision PJ that had an MSRP of $10K. That was back around 1992. :D

Yeah, I say the brightness "problem" with the NZ3 is that it's TOO BRIGHT in a totally darkened room.

When I show clients my NX5 (also Eco Lamp, Natural Color), they say the brightness is "incredible" because it really is very bright.

But in terms of brightness, I have never seen any 2K/4K Home Theater PJ as bright as the NZ3.

I've seen commercial business presentation PJs that are brighter, but not Home Theater PJs.

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
Many modern TVs are exceeding 1000 nits average (2000 peak) which are far away greater than 3000 lumens. I don't think that NZ3 is too bright ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis