The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually the Dolby recommended larger angles are for ceiling mount speakers with typical dispersion characteristics, and aim straight down. Mine will be wall mounted close to the ceiling, and using the supplied hinged bracket I will angle the speakers to aim for the mlp at ear height. I hope that will yield comparable results to the Dolby ceiling mount guidelines. Worst case, it should still be better than no Atmos.
I think it will sound very good.

Download those Atmos trailers to test them (Amaze, Leaf, Unfold, Conductor, Nature's Fury).

https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will be using 4 cheap plastic Polk Audio speakers for now. If I like the effects, I may upgrade to the much larger SVS prime elevation, or at least some Pioneer sp-bs22, or equivalent Elacs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will be using 4 cheap plastic Polk Audio speakers for now. If I like the effects, I may upgrade to the much larger SVS prime elevation, or at least some Pioneer sp-bs22, or equivalent Elacs.
They don't make ENERGY speakers to match your current Energy system (at least in name :D)?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They don't make ENERGY speakers to match your current Energy system (at least in name :D)?
I haven't bother checking into that because I know even if they do, the Klipnery Veritas were, and presumably remain as totally different animals anyway, ie as you alluded to, same only in name. So I am going to have to say good bye to timbre matched speakers. As you know, I do use Audyssey, so if I set the EQ cutoff frequency higher, say up to 5kHz, Audyssey should, though not by design, enforce a little bit of timbre matching, likely adequate for surround effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't bother checking into that because I know even if they do, the Klipnery Veritas were, and presumably remain as totally different animals anyway. So I am going to have to say good bye to timbre matched speakers. As you know, I do use Audyssey, so if I set the EQ cutoff frequency higher, say up to 5kHz, Audyssey should, though not by design, enforce a little bit of timbre matching, likely adequate for surround effects.
I wouldn't worry at all about "timbre matching" Atmos surround speakers anyway; I care more about matching aesthetics. LOL. :D

So I would get some small ENERGY speakers to match the rest of your Energy speakers, even if they are not exactly the same series.

That way, you can call your system the "ENERGY ATMOS SYSTEM". ;)

Mine is called the RBH ATMOS SYSTEM. :cool:

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't worry at all about "timbre matching" Atmos surround speakers anyway; I care more about matching aesthetics. LOL. :D

So I would get some small ENERGY speakers to match the rest of your Energy speakers, even if they are not exactly the same series.

That way, you can call your system the "ENERGY ATMOS SYSTEM". ;)

Mine is called the RBH ATMOS SYSTEM. :cool:
Too late now as the plastic Polk are arriving today. They supposedly come with hinged brackets so I can experiment with different angles.

I will check out the Klipnergy ones to see if they are aesthetically compatible, for future upgrade.. Thanks for the Energy Atmos system idea, I like that a lot.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am planning on height channels that would be used for Atmos, and for Auro3d. I have JBL 8340As that I will be using. I cannot run speakers on the ceiling as it is a 32' high Boveda (curved) ceiling. Are bed height channels wall mounted, and Atmos ceiling mounted?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Yeah bed channels would be wall mounted. Or floor standing... I wouldn’t worry much about auro3d as there’s basically no content, AND you need a VOG speaker. Iirc, it’s got a tiny bit of traction in EU.
I would seriously consider something like these. I almost did for my angled ceiling but chose rsl instead.
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/control-60-series/control-65p-t

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I had seen something about using dolby atmos setup for Auro 3d, and you could skip the voice of God channel. There is a compromise that is do e on the angles. My main problem was if I could do the rears so ce they will be lower than the rest of the height channels.
I think it's okay for rear surrounds to be a little lower than the other side/height surrounds.

Speaking of Auro3D, not too many people are talking about that. I heard the spec for Auro3D is for the single overhead (voice of god) speaker. :D

So I wonder how height speakers work for Auro3D.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Yeah bed channels would be wall mounted. Or floor standing... I wouldn’t worry much about auro3d as there’s basically no content, AND you need a VOG speaker. Iirc, it’s got a tiny bit of traction in EU.
I would seriously consider something like these. I almost did for my angled ceiling but chose rsl instead.
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/control-60-series/control-65p-t
Looks great, and a very good price, but I do not trust hanging speakers from a 32' brick curved ceiling (not to mention having to string the wires all the way up the curved walls, and then down to the speaker will not look that great). In my last Home theater I used the smaller versions of my JBLs, and changed the angles for Atmos, and they worked out great. The new house is going to be a nightmare to tune...lots of absorption panels to be made, and I am sure it still will not sound as good as my old 2 car converted garage did when it was fully treated. I will do the best I can and maintain the integrety, and looks of our living room.

According to Auro3ds website you do not need the voice of God channel. It is only recommended in certain setup configs.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Too late now as the plastic Polk are arriving today. They supposedly come with hinged brackets so I can experiment with different angles.

I will check out the Klipnergy ones to see if they are aesthetically compatible, for future upgrade.. Thanks for the Energy Atmos system idea, I like that a lot.
Could you take a pic of the hinged bracket when you get them...I am curious as to how they do the settings for different angles. I might be able to make something similar to them for my speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Could you take a pic of the hinged bracket when you get them...I am curious as to how they do the settings for different angles. I might be able to make something similar to them for my speakers.

Will do, not here yet..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks great, and a very good price, but I do not trust hanging speakers from a 32' brick curved ceiling (not to mention having to string the wires all the way up the curved walls, and then down to the speaker will not look that great). In my last Home theater I used the smaller versions of my JBLs, and changed the angles for Atmos, and they worked out great. The new house is going to be a nightmare to tune...lots of absorption panels to be made, and I am sure it still will not sound as good as my old 2 car converted garage did when it was fully treated. I will do the best I can and maintain the integrety, and looks of our living room.

According to Auro3ds website you do not need the voice of God channel. It is only recommended in certain setup configs.

I remember your old theater. It was very beautiful!Personally, I wouldn’t worry about hanging speakers from the ceiling. Lots of hardware for the job, but I agree wiring could be tricky. Might be as simple as wiring a pendant light, whereas you’d only need to get cable to the ceiling.
Indeed, multi purpose rooms are trickier.
Now that you mention Auro without the vog speaker, I do remember reading that. I just personally don’t have any interest in trying to include Auro. Especially with so little content. Curious to see what you come up with.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the comments on my old HT, I do kiss ot! I have a contractor coming over to install 2 rows of a custom wooden French cleat to hang my acoustic panels from. I am also going to test out my JBLs hung from the french cleats. If I like the way they sound I will then make acoustic panels around them. All the wires will now be hidden in the French cleat or behind the acoustic panels. We have 2 electric black soundstage curtains also being installed behind our wall mounted 4k FP too. The room should have the best DIY equipment I have ever built or owned. I just wish the room would be up to it. I will post it up later when I get some progress.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I missed the fine print, the articulated (with ball joint) wall mount brackets are not included.

https://www.amazon.ca/Jumbl-SINSB7W-ProGrip-Stainless-Speaker/dp/B008JGWQHM/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CN566H4Q8ZPWQM7CGEPX

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I don't usually use Dolby DSU, but when I do I hear that dreadful echo effect that sounds like the re-mixer was drunk and applied far too long delay on one of the tracks.

So this is one of the scenes also heard before going to warp speed and encountering the wormhole = SUB SPACE BASS! :D
47179087_10156678211105149_6434046006534340608_n.jpg
47310157_10156678211245149_1441191476062060544_n.jpg
47357594_10156678211430149_6712475761237819392_n.jpg

Its even more cringe-worthy when I hear Scotty voice echo reverberating on the overhead surrounds or any of Mr.Sulu voice pan later on, on left channel. I hate the DSU its all Wrong with what its doing with upmixing or matrix-ing the signal from the fronts or one of the surround channels. I prefer the discrete Atmos the upmixer sucks!
I hope for a better re-mix or an original 1979 six track Dolby Stereo 5.1 only with a better alternate fixed re-mix for Dolby Atmos not this dreadful version.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Experimenting with some Kef SP1014 speakers in free air suspended upside down from the light the speaker serves as light-shade as well not bad going. :D

47123970_10156678505275149_362671921852055552_n.jpg

Not using the DSU/dts up in anyway shape or form mixer. Using the own matrix for the side surrounds with Dolby CP45 and only listening to Star Trek the motion picture bluray version at present.

The sound for the sidewall is switched to 500Hz on the JBL 8330 so the bass helps with free air Kef. The sound if any have listened to a speaker in free air will have a Null between the forward and back end of the speaker. The downward is moving sound a little from the top Khz range while the rest of top Khz range before the frequency rolls off, well. The ceiling is almost finished so any sound reflections in the higher range is going to be slightly absorbed.

46897789_10156678505480149_1330951438079098880_n.jpg

The rest of the Hz range is radiation downwards some of the frequencies depending on which random ones? I would have to run a frequency sweep to hear what is happening? I ran pink noise wide-band and walked around the room where standing almost near to its null I could hear the diffusion standing back at certain distance but when getting near to it it tends to collapse inwards but I'm getting some ideas from it.

Maybe some can try this with 10" or 12", 15" or 18" chained to the ceiling with a black fabric stretched over the room a few millimeters away from the driver so that the fabric covers them up.

May need many to create a good cheaper defused sound I only have x2 Kef SP1014 and only testing one of them. Sort of sounds bit like that "VOG" the cybertron is call me. :D

Ran a frequency sweep using the Dolby CP500 (Swpet Sine) and walked around the room listening and seating down at the back row and front row. The way the sweep moves outwards in the lower Hz then moves up the scale moves into the I guess I can call it a "VOG"? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay I was re-watching “Twilight” in ATMOS tonight. Don’t judge! :D

No comment about the movie itself. :D

But...... I can say that they used the overhead ATMOS speakers significantly.

For one, every time Bella (main girl) narrates, her voice comes from the overhead speakers. :D

Rain, thunder, birds, and music also come from overhead.

I will admit that watching this movie with all the overhead sound effects made it significantly more enjoyable this time around, although the movie itself is still pretty stupid. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay I was re-watching “Twilight” in ATMOS tonight. Don’t judge! :D

No comment about the movie itself. :D

But...... I can say that they used the overhead ATMOS speakers significantly.

For one, every time Bella (main girl) narrates, her voice comes from the overhead speakers. :D

Rain, thunder, birds, and music also come from overhead.

I will admit that watching this movie with all the overhead sound effects made it significantly more enjoyable this time around, although the movie itself is still pretty stupid. :D
Another one that people bad that I actually love is Man of Steel. The DTS upmixes was one of the best I've heard. Effects weather explosions music dialogue overheads were used excellent in this movie. Matter of fact the bass is not known for in this movie at least deep bass but the bass with two f@$!# ing PB 4000's right behind me was out of this world man that movie sounded amazing the other night

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Another one that people bad that I actually love is Man of Steel. The DTS upmixes was one of the best I've heard. Effects weather explosions music dialogue overheads were used excellent in this movie. Matter of fact the bass is not known for in this movie at least deep bass but the bass with two f@$!# ing PB 4000's right behind me was out of this world man that movie sounded amazing the other night
I’ve never seen that one. I’ll check it out. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
There is a whole world of difference between Twilight and Man of Steel.:p MoS is not that bad a film.:) Compared to BvS, JL are much worse, and not particularly because Henry Cavill.:D Sound on the DC films has been infinitely better than the Marvel offerings of late. If you wish a truly awful Superman film then watch Superman Returns.o_O I won't make any nasty comments about Twilight, we all have bad films we like.:D Let just say there are a fair few in the cast that have done better, before and after them. :cool:

Last night we re-watched The Magnificent Seven (2016). Which see Denzel back with Antoine Fuqua as director. As with the Equaliser, the sound track is only Dts HDMA (at least here in the UK) and like it's predecessor it works well. There are a number of moments, particularly the mine explosions, gun fire and an interesting panning fly, all the first five minutes.:D Overall it is not heavy on the overheads, but they are present and nicely done, especially the music. It's a western, it's never going to have Helicopters whizzing about but the guns echoes, overhead shots and explosions do ok. Additional compensation we have Vincent D'Onofrio "I believe that bear was wearing people's clothes":cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis