The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
From what I’ve seen, those have to be very careful installed to accurately hit the proper angles to beam to the LP. For example if your ceiling is taller they might have to be a couple feet above the mains rather than on top of them. Or the angle has to be steeper. If the ceiling is too high Think of a bank shot in pool from the speaker to your ears.

If you can forgive(and understand) my cave man drawing, you’ll see how changing the height of the ceiling, or the atmos enabled speakers, or the distance of the mains even can alter where the sound lands.
Disclaimer: all numbers are arbitrary. Lol
Edit:another way to address the angles would be to raise the front or back of the atmos modules rather than raise them up higher altogether. Also, are they toed in towards the LP?
We are all in man caves. :D seems like some us can't afford CAD we have to use the basic primitive concept of drawing the idea which is still the best idea.

Actually what I been thinking of doing a picture with one of my smaller JBL control 1 speaker balanced on tripod I tried this few weeks ago but was bit dodgy so I deleted the picture as I couldn't get the speaker counterbalanced without tipping over onto the floor LOL.

Yeah place the speaker facing the ceiling only few inches away from the ceiling so the sound splatters or reflects as well as its going to change the tonal frequency when using (wide-band full spectrum pink noise) sort of like when moving your hand near to one side of your ear you can sense a pressure change or sense of something beside one side of your ears. Its same with speaker when facing the other way around against a boundary surface.

I done few tests even with laptop in the bedroom with it laying flat against the wall beside me and how it alters the sound and spreads out few degrees wider in an almost defused way and defused be it or not can be good as when the speaker is the other way around we tend to notice or pin point certain individual speaker drivers.

Get some long wood and cut the pieces to equal sizes and find a way to support it and attach smaller speakers to it and place close to the ceiling or! Get some string wire chains depending on the size/weight of the speaker and screw in some wall plugs into the ceiling unless you can find the stud, or ceiling joist and suspend the speaker on four of its corners or make a loop that goes around both ends of the speaker and then attach two strings or chain into the ceiling and wiggle the speaker into position so its facing at the ceiling within a few inches distance. Its trail and error I'm afraid too close will result in the sound not spreading or reflecting as well but you will notice a difference.

Best be seated and get a friend partner to hold a small like speaker in their hand standing on stool while the speaker is playing pink noise no movie or music (just pink noise) as its a stable signal to listen too then you'll get the idea.

Of course you will need an RTA and microphone to check the change in the pink noise frequency but if this is way too difficult for you then its not really for you as it would take great patience but if you, feel up to it give it a try.

I'd try it myself but my ceiling is almost finished with sound treatment.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Ordered a Behringer ZMX2600 Ultrazone Professional Stereo 2-Input 6-Bus Zone Mixer so I can wire back in conventional surround that meaning sidewall and back wall No not in the way any of you are thinking nothing to do with matrix decoding just using the left and right surround channels spread around as left half right half at sidewall and back wall, as I or anyone else would have heard or if listening to the film can remember it that way as the sound field was bit different. So what if its using all the speakers for surround that's what surrounds mean "surrounded"!

I tried thinking of doing this another way by wiring in on one of my other processors but its often now used for centre middle back surround and there are no other inputs that I can use so I have do this another way to merge the same Matrix mono surround or discrete mono surround or discrete stereo surround with the back wall surrounds so I have playback format for all types.

I did give some thought of using the extra Dolby CP65 using the AUX/Mag input but I use also use that processor for the left-centre right-centre of two of its Dolby Cat-64B EQ cards as well as the main CP65 LCR being used and the side surround inputs then second CP65 for its stereo back surrounds with 7.1, Confusing isn't it. :D

But trouble is Format 42 is only LCRS-SW or two boom channels of same signal of the 70mm mag, sent equally to SW. I thought I could try use the centre input on the other CP65 as that is spare at present but maybe used for some other channel soon which one I don't know yet?

So I think I can beat this with a Behringer ZMX2600 Ultrazone Professional Stereo 2-Input 6-Bus Zone Mixer, patching in few leads and link it up so I can send the same signal to back surrounds so I can enjoy films like, Robocop, original Star Trek 1 to 6 or or maybe some of the Generations Star Trek films even Star Wars, that is originals only as 1999 they divided the surrounds up into Matrix-EX.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005) HD-DVD
Dolby Digital + / Luasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL professional

46751205_10156665181005149_1951398333440327680_n.jpg

And yes I hate the colour on this film looks like a Blade movie, whoever chose this colour used needs to go to SpecSavers.

Balance has to be correct so side rear surrounds carrying the centre bass rhythm beat on the end credits with the overhead surrounds not drawing too mach listeners attention

46795170_10156665159000149_3764178813605380096_n.jpg

'What if I told you there was another, Pro Logic Matrix.' :D

Not using my own matrix for the middle overhead since the DSU has applied some matrix. Maybe I see what I can do with other Onkyo TX-NR807 in a few days. Rack space is "gonna need a" taller rack.

46764769_10156665159275149_8771328837779718144_n.jpg

I like escalators one should really listen when standing on an escalator how sound changes from below to middle to height surround. Oh and as well as feeling it below in the feet legs the vibration. But since the camera is above the actors its not like a POV so camera above the escalator be impossible to feel it as the body-legs-feet isn't in direct contact with escalator for the brain to interpretative it as vibration.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
The showdown "what a conclusion"

46742233_10156665366100149_3129276634578812928_n.jpg

Chapter 19 where the music goes all still with just the airy dense cold air and the the footsteps against the snow with deep low end that is presence in the other channels when merged with LFE.1 that only becomes active as and when the rest of the channels have some deepness down 5Hz or looks more like 3Hz on the spectrum lab and that is very, very, very low.
46525443_10156665367835149_867819866101383168_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Has anyone bought the 4k version of The Matrix Trilogy that just came out? I want to get it for the atmos but I dont have a 4k TV. My receiver and BD player are 4k compatible tho. Is there any reason I should not order it? Does down scaling work ok? Any side effects? Will I still get the atmos audio track?
You''ll hate the colour on it its dreadful I mean awful. The first DVD edition and the Laserdisc have the better colour even if its not UHD. Oh yeah studios like trolling us consumers to buy again to see just how much of suckers we are at milking us over. So what about the 4K, Oh it has Atmos remix its okay its not groundbreaking like we thought of the film just as it was back in 1999. So that's the honest scoop on it.

Picture colour lousy and Warner bros have some answering for that.
Atmos remix just get into enjoying the pressing you may currently have or wait until the 4K version is way, way below the bottom of the bargain bin price as its not worth the retail price.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
You''ll hate the colour on it its dreadful I mean awful. The first DVD edition and the Laserdisc have the better colour even if its not UHD. Oh yeah studios like trolling us consumers to buy again to see just how much of suckers we are at milking us over. So what about the 4K, Oh it has Atmos remix its okay its not groundbreaking like we thought of the film just as it was back in 1999. So that's the honest scoop on it.

Picture colour lousy and Warner bros have some answering for that.
Atmos remix just get into enjoying the pressing you may currently have or wait until the 4K version is way, way below the bottom of the bargain bin price as its not worth the retail price.
Already bought it and already watched numeral uno. Turns out my Oppo 103d cannot play a 4k disk but the set also came with a 1080p disk that has the atmos sound track so I watched that one. I thought the picture quality was pretty great for a 20 year old movie. It had less of the green tone as I remember but was very clear. The atmos was not as good as more recent built for atmos movies, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Already bought it and already watched numeral uno. Turns out my Oppo 103d cannot play a 4k disk but the set also came with a 1080p disk that has the atmos sound track so I watched that one. I thought the picture quality was pretty great for a 20 year old movie. It had less of the green tone as I remember but was very clear. The atmos was not as good as more recent built for atmos movies, but I thought it was pretty awesome.
That's okay t he colour is going to be dreadful 480p 1080p so its honestly waste of time with it and 20 year old or 1 year old its the who is colour blind that did it shouldn't be allowed near a video console.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone try 4 Atmos speakers overhead at say 45 to 80 degrees to the mlp, as well as much smaller angles such as near the end walls, and which way did you like better?

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The Magnificent Seven (2016)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL professional
46958041_10156668357645149_5134963758367506432_n.jpg

Its a loaded mix with dialouge panning voices move often across the five screen channels with some background voices on anyone of the side or rear back surrounds along with horses running around with explosions and bullets whistling around and overhead.

Chapters 14, 15 and 16 the showdown wow.

46952308_10156668357795149_8972133917670768640_n.jpg

A thrillingly entertaining score by the late James Horner (1953-2015) and Simon Franglen.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone try 4 Atmos speakers overhead at say 45 to 80 degrees to the mlp, as well as much small angles such as near the end walls, and which way did you like better?
Mine are about 70-80 degrees overhead. I think @Bookmark has his Atmos speakers near the walls. He seems to be able to hear more from his ATMOS speakers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Mine are about 70-80 degrees overhead. I think @Bookmark has his Atmos speakers near the walls. He seems to be able to hear more from his ATMOS speakers.
I'm a little off topic here and late to the party. Have any of you guys watched that movie Split. I put it on upmixes yesterday and while nothing overly stood out it sounded amazing. That movie really creeps me out there were a couple good moments with the overheads. Sounds like when he was crawling on the ceiling music on the overheads especially really good to set the mood. Man I'm still creeped out but it sounded way better then before I did Atmos.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I won't necessarily say more, rather that it blends in with the normal overhead I get from the base layer. I still think it localizes fairly well for the overhead effects, but they are currently too low and level rather than at ceiling level and angled down to the MLP. So less than ideal, but it works for now.:D Also they get set as heights in the layout configuration rather than overhead or atmos.

Have any of you guys watched that movie Split
I have, but not tried up mixed.:( James McAvoy, as a loon, soon to reprise the role in Glass with Bruce Willis doing his Unbreakable. :p and Samuel L. Jackson as the eponymous Glass.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823368/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Ordered a Behringer ZMX2600 Ultrazone Professional Stereo 2-Input 6-Bus Zone Mixer
I bow down before the knowledge and the toys :cool: but can you really get the Format 42 as per a Cinema mix from the disc contents, surely they are remastered differently for the home environment?

Any way, best of luck with the new addition.:D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I bow down before the knowledge and the toys :cool: but can you really get the Format 42 as per a Cinema mix from the disc contents, surely they are remastered differently for the home environment?

Any way, best of luck with the new addition.:D
No of course not but, its fun to try it out.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Has anyone try 4 Atmos speakers overhead at say 45 to 80 degrees to the mlp, as well as much smaller angles such as near the end walls, and which way did you like better?
I don't know what degrees mine are positioned at there just mounted on the ceiling of course there is on-axis and off-axis angles but I can still hear pinpoint them depending on the sound frequency as some frequencies with sine wave tones can often sound like its coming from a different position.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I am planning on installing mine on the wall, and aiming them toward the mlp...will that be good for Atmos, and Auro3d? I was planning on 3 on the front wall, and 2 on the side walls about 10-15' high, and the mlp about 15' from the front wall. If I go with 7 height channels I would need to lower the rear 2 speakers to about 9'...is that ok, or would all the heights need to be the same height too?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am planning on installing mine on the wall, and aiming them toward the mlp...will that be good for Atmos, and Auro3d? I was planning on 3 on the front wall, and 2 on the side walls about 10-15' high, and the mlp about 15' from the front wall. If I go with 7 height channels I would need to lower the rear 2 speakers to about 9'...is that ok, or would all the heights need to be the same height too?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Ron, are you talking about bed channel heights, or atmos speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for sharing your Atmos angles, below is going to be mine. If I understood right, it will be within the recommended limits shown in the Dolby guidelines, except the end wall mounted scenario, that would end up with only 18 degrees for the front Atmos speakers, and will end up almost 3 ft behind the front speakers. I may still go with the 18 degrees one because it will be much easy to do and look better in that room.

Atmos Guidelines:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html

My options:
18 degrees for the front Atmos if wall mounted.
31 degrees, if mounted in the second best locations.

AtmosSpkrAngles-Model.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis