The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I went with less than 45 degrees because my ceilings are 10 feet tall and 45 would have put them near the back wall which felt wrong. So I compromised a bit and it still sounds amazing. As long as you are close I think it should be fine.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
18 degrees for the front Atmos if wall mounted.
If we use the calculator linked below. With "a" as the height above the MLP "C" (assuming C is set roughtly 4' off the ground. "b" is the distance fore and aft of the MLP "C". Then <A is the actually angle of overhead/height speakers to the MLP.

To be anywhere near 45 degrees then "a" and "b" would need to be the same, say 3' fore and aft of the MLP and 3' above (7' ceiling). In a 12' ceiling room with 2' fore and aft with the seating 4' off the ground we get 75 degrees , ie roughly the +/- 15 degrees of <B off vertical.

My heights are roughly 2.5m off the ground, minus 1.1m (4' off the MLP head height),1.4m above "C", "a". My distance from the MLP ("b") is roughly 2.5m. Consequently the total distance to the speaker is 2.87m and the <A angle is 30 degrees.

https://everydaycalculation.com/right-triangle-calculator.php

If I got mine nearer the 12' ceiling in the same location then my angle might get closer to 45 degrees. Are you calculating from the ground or ear height? 18 degrees just seems a bit low and if they are behind the Front L & R then you are looking at heights too. :D

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Sorry about bouncing between the metric and good old foot and inches. It's the tape measure's fault. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you can't install ceiling speakers, then side wall speakers would be good.

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I would consider those locations to be heights, rather than overheads and if that's 4 in the drawing. the sofa getting pulled out a couple of feet. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would consider those locations to be heights, rather than overheads and if that's 4 in the drawing. the sofa getting pulled out a couple of feet. :D
I would compare them as Heights vs Overhead and see which one produces the best sound effects.

Regarding the sofa, pulling it out would be best if people have room. However, some people don't have the space to do that. So in that case, I don't see a "problem" with just leaving the couch up against the back wall. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Is that from Battlestar Galactica? :eek:

Hang those babies on the ceiling! :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If we use the calculator linked below. With "a" as the height above the MLP "C" (assuming C is set roughtly 4' off the ground. "b" is the distance fore and aft of the MLP "C". Then <A is the actually angle of overhead/height speakers to the MLP.

To be anywhere near 45 degrees then "a" and "b" would need to be the same, say 3' fore and aft of the MLP and 3' above (7' ceiling). In a 12' ceiling room with 2' fore and aft with the seating 4' off the ground we get 75 degrees , ie roughly the +/- 15 degrees of <B off vertical.

My heights are roughly 2.5m off the ground, minus 1.1m (4' off the MLP head height),1.4m above "C", "a". My distance from the MLP ("b") is roughly 2.5m. Consequently the total distance to the speaker is 2.87m and the <A angle is 30 degrees.

https://everydaycalculation.com/right-triangle-calculator.php

If I got mine nearer the 12' ceiling in the same location then my angle might get closer to 45 degrees. Are you calculating from the ground or ear height? 18 degrees just seems a bit low and if they are behind the Front L & R then you are looking at heights too. :D
Thanks, I don't need to calculate because I have AutoCad. I simply draw the side view of my 18.5x 8 ft (length x height) and it shows the angles.

The angles shown are based on ear height. I cannot place the front Atmos any closer because of the deep bay window on the left side.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
The angles shown are based on ear height. I cannot place the front Atmos any closer because of the deep bay window on the left side.
It's a wee further away than mine and about the same height. Go for it. :p

Good catch. I didn't even notice the yellow pillows and yellow plate on the table. :D
I think they are quite understate, blending right in. Couple of days you wouldn't even notice them. :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I went with less than 45 degrees because my ceilings are 10 feet tall and 45 would have put them near the back wall which felt wrong. So I compromised a bit and it still sounds amazing. As long as you are close I think it should be fine.
I don't consider that a "compromise". The degree-ranges are just guidelines. In the end, it's about getting the best sounds regardless of the exact angles.

If you are get amazing Atmos sound effects, then there are no compromises.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Ron, are you talking about bed channel heights, or atmos speakers?
I am planning on height channels that would be used for Atmos, and for Auro3d. I have JBL 8340As that I will be using. I cannot run speakers on the ceiling as it is a 32' high Boveda (curved) ceiling. Are bed height channels wall mounted, and Atmos ceiling mounted?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are bed height channels wall mounted, and Atmos ceiling mounted?
No, you can do Atmos Heights (wall mounted).

For example, in the Yamaha, the PRESENCE speakers are used for Atmos. But you can choose either to use Heights (Wall-mount) or Overhead (Ceiling-mount).

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
No, you can do Atmos Heights (wall mounted).

For example, in the Yamaha, the PRESENCE speakers are used for Atmos. But you can choose either to use Heights (Wall-mount) or Overhead (Ceiling-mount).
Thanks, that will work out fine then for me for now as I have the Yamaha cxa5100. I just want to have the placement covered for Auro3d when I am ready to change preamps for one with Auro3d, and Atmos. I just need to get the height, and angles down. Is it ok for the rear 2 channels to be lower by several feet than the side or front heights are?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, that will work out fine then for me for now as I have the Yamaha cxa5100. I just want to have the placement covered for Auro3d when I am ready to change preamps for one with Auro3d, and Atmos. I just need to get the height, and angles down. Is it ok for the rear 2 channels to be lower by several feet than the side or front heights are?
I think it's okay for rear surrounds to be a little lower than the other side/height surrounds.

Speaking of Auro3D, not too many people are talking about that. I heard the spec for Auro3D is for the single overhead (voice of god) speaker. :D

So I wonder how height speakers work for Auro3D.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't consider that a "compromise". The degree-ranges are just guidelines. In the end, it's about getting the best sounds regardless of the exact angles.

If you are get amazing Atmos sound effects, then there are no compromises.
Actually the Dolby recommended larger angles are for ceiling mount speakers with typical dispersion characteristics, and aim straight down. Mine will be wall mounted close to the ceiling, and using the supplied hinged bracket I will angle the speakers to aim for the mlp at ear height. I hope that will yield comparable results to the Dolby ceiling mount guidelines. Worst case, it should still be better than no Atmos.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis