The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I saw about 40 minutes of DUNKIRK yesterday in DTSNX.

The sound is definitely very good. I could hear the overhead speakers when planes fly overhead, which I think makes it more interesting than just plan DTS-HDMA. :D

INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, and DUNKIRK all have pretty great sound quality.

So far I think the DUNKIRK in DTSNX sounds great.

For INTERSTELLAR, I did have to use my Yamaha phone remote app to easily and quickly boost the Dialogue Level (+2 or +3, I forget already).

That's one bad thing about some of these movies. You have to boost that Dialogue Level with some of these movies.

I didn't have to boost the Dialogue Level for DUNKIRK, though.
I boosted my dialog level as well on interstellar. (But In 5.1). It’s mixed that way.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Nolan has made a lot of great movies. I don't know if I could say just one is my favorite. :D

Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, and Inception are probably my four. :D

That means I'll have to re-watch Dark Knight Trilogy and Inception in DTSNX. :D

I get the feeling that Nolan isn't going to remix any of his movies in ATMOS, which is a shame IMO.

"Interstellar" would be so awesome in ATMOS (they could boost the Dialogue when they remix in ATMOS :D).
That's a great reply man how do you pick a favorite Nolan movie? Lol. I guess Memento is so good for me cuz it's the one that caught me on to his work. Kind off sentimental I guess

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I mostly try to avoid any changes to the speaker balance, just up or down the volume a tad. Some films can take you unawares regarding this and with all the speakers driving it is noticeable louder overall anyway. :eek:

Regarding Mr Nolan and brother, Kodi says I have nine. :) Three we have talked about. ADTG has mentioned three more, the Batmans and these are pretty much my favorite versions, although I still have a fondness for the first two Tim Burton ones.:p Memento with the awesome Carrie Ann is pretty near the top as well for me, however I think I would go with The Prestige as the favorite. :DSince I pretty much listed them all anyway the last one is Insomnia a much underrated film with Al Pacino and Robin Williams. :)

I was pretty sure but I checked and it is Mr Caine as the Radio guy. ;) Keeping up tradition

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
November/December is looking good for a few Atmos/Dts:X possibles due out and of course Black Friday/Cyber Monday and probably and an entire week for Amazon. Maybe pick up something or two or more...o_O

From Snakes' link earlier Blu-ray.com I think we know Jurassic World will be one.:) Not heard great things about the movie, but it is a drinking one so the plot doesn't really matter.:eek: Pretty sure MI Fallout and Skyscaper will have something too although the site just says TBA for the audio.:) Scario 2 may have but I would likely get the pair since 1 definitely has and mine is only a dvd.

I won't be holding out any hope for the Incredibles 2 or Ant Man and Wasp. Curse you Disney...:mad:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
November/December is looking good for a few Atmos/Dts:X possibles due out and of course Black Friday/Cyber Monday and probably and an entire week for Amazon. Maybe pick up something or two or more...o_O

From Snakes' link earlier Blu-ray.com I think we know Jurassic World will be one.:) Not heard great things about the movie, but it is a drinking one so the plot doesn't really matter.:eek: Pretty sure MI Fallout and Skyscaper will have something too although the site just says TBA for the audio.:) Scario 2 may have but I would likely get the pair since 1 definitely has and mine is only a dvd.

I won't be holding out any hope for the Incredibles 2 or Ant Man and Wasp. Curse you Disney...:mad:
Hah hah yeah Disney releases have been Kind off sucking lately in the audio department

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I saw about 40 minutes of DUNKIRK yesterday in DTSNX.

The sound is definitely very good. I could hear the overhead speakers when planes fly overhead, which I think makes it more interesting than just plan DTS-HDMA. :D

INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, and DUNKIRK all have pretty great sound quality.

So far I think the DUNKIRK in DTSNX sounds great.

For INTERSTELLAR, I did have to use my Yamaha phone remote app to easily and quickly boost the Dialogue Level (+2 or +3, I forget already).

That's one bad thing about some of these movies. You have to boost that Dialogue Level with some of these movies.

I didn't have to boost the Dialogue Level for DUNKIRK, though.
Hey just curious with that awesome system you have all those beautiful towers of power what do you use for atmos speakers to keep up with them if you don't mind me asking?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey just curious with that awesome system you have all those beautiful towers of power what do you use for atmos speakers to keep up with them if you don't mind me asking?
The RBH VM-815 (1" Aluminum Tweeter, 8" Aluminum Woofer) with the FB-C8 Rear-Enclosure.

https://rbhsound.com/va815.php

You brought up an important point - keeping up with the main speakers.

I wish I could install 4 towers up in the ceiling. :D

Or at least 4 of the RBH SI-663 In-walls up in the ceiling. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

From Snakes' link earlier Blu-ray.com I think we know Jurassic World will be one.. and Skyscraper will have something too although the site just says TBA for the audio.:) Scario 2 may have but I would likely get the pair since 1 definitely has and mine is only a dvd.
I thought these are already released ?

I don't have much faith in DTSX based on what I've seen. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The RBH VM-815 (1" Aluminum Tweeter, 8" Aluminum Woofer) with the FB-C8 Rear-Enclosure.

Should have known it was RBH. Lol. I bet they're awesome. Good Lord I love those towers those things are so Damn sexy! I wish I could have some I like they're new line they came out with to replace this one. But man I can't justify the expense for my room size. They would just overpower my room and it's not small. No I think 3 SVS ultra's in the front and 4 SVS prime towers for surrounds will be great for me should be more then enough for that room especially when I get 4 subs. Got 2 I'm happy with 2 more even close to they're performance would be spectacular. Yeah those rbh in walls would be crazy up there. And your so right about keeping up with the mains. RSL told me those C34E's can handle a 150 watts RMS and I believe em. I'm running them with the UPA-7 and they just sing. I think I'll get two more crowns more power the 1502 to drive the mains and then run the 1002 on my surrounds. What everybody said about the crowns is true they sound really really good I can't tell the difference with them and the Emotiva. Man I just love your system tho I'd love to own those but Damn I swear they'd blow my house down I'm not kidding either. Nice ceiling speakers tho man I swear everything RBH makes just looks sexy

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I bet you money some day 4 towers are ending up in your ceiling:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Should have known it was RBH. Lol. I bet they're awesome. Good Lord I love those towers those things are so Damn sexy! I wish I could have some I like they're new line they came out with to replace this one. But man I can't justify the expense for my room size. They would just overpower my room and it's not small. No I think 3 SVS ultra's in the front and 4 SVS prime towers for surrounds will be great for me should be more then enough for that room especially when I get 4 subs. Got 2 I'm happy with 2 more even close to they're performance would be spectacular. Yeah those rbh in walls would be crazy up there. And your so right about keeping up with the mains. RSL told me those C34E's can handle a 150 watts RMS and I believe em. I'm running them with the UPA-7 and they just sing. I think I'll get two more crowns more power the 1502 to drive the mains and then run the 1002 on my surrounds. What everybody said about the crowns is true they sound really really good I can't tell the difference with them and the Emotiva. Man I just love your system tho I'd love to own those but Damn I swear they'd blow my house down I'm not kidding either. Nice ceiling speakers tho man I swear everything RBH makes just looks sexy
How big is your room?

Mine is 22’ x 26’. My system has 5 bed-speakers and 4 overhead-speakers.

The big question most people face is, “How many speakers do I want for the same budget? Less speakers that cost more? Or more speakers that cost less?” :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
How big is your room?

The big question most people face is, “How many speakers do I want for the same budget? Less speakers that cost more? Or more speakers that cost less?” :D
I don't get a room. Lol. My room is the living room. It's a one story house. Open floor plan so when I say living room I should say living area cuz the whole thing is open living room 18×17 dining room 12×11breakfast room 10×9 kitchen room 10×9 all areas open with 10ft ceilings. The living room is where I listen. I'm 12 ft back from the front towers 6ft back from where the back surrounds are. Surrounds are killing me cud I have very little options to mount them but viola I began to discuss like you I prefer Towers any way which will make my life easier when I go to moving the prime towers to surround status. I'm single bought the home myself. But family does come and visit often so I can't use the bedroom I wanted to make for a home theater room. :(. It's not a huge room to listen in where the theater is setup. It's the volume of the whole thing that challenges me it's a big area to get to the right levels to make me feel immersed. To make it loud but clear but distortion free even at reference level or higher. But with your help and so many others I'm getting closer. My next step is upgrading the towers. To 3 Ultra Towers for the front 3 4 SVS prime towers for the surrounds. The C34E's sound wonderful for the ceiling the 2 PB 4000's are in the front. I'd like to find a comparable sub then after the speakers upgrade to have 2 more subs behind both couches for near field effect. I'd say The PC 4000's but man 47 inches tall they Kind off just stick out like a sore thumb. I'm discussing with some guys the Ultra X13's from outlaw. But we'll see when I get to that point.

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
How big is your room?

I like more for that space to help fill in the sound of the big volume surrounding it. If I could have used the bedroom I wanted to I'd have done the exact thing you did 5 bed speakers and 4 ceiling speakers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like more for that space to help fill in the sound of the big volume surrounding it. If I could have used the bedroom I wanted to I'd have done the exact thing you did 5 bed speakers and 4 ceiling speakers
Just spent more on quality not quantity. That's why I like SVS good measuring speakers with a nice balance of quality and quantity for not to crazy on the ol wallet. They're just solid products all the way around with anything they do and in my living room they help the system look beautiful it needs to due to being out there I need aesthetics to combine with performance. Good bang for the buck I'd like to say.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe someone is willing to compare an Atmos movie from Netflix vs the Atmos Blu-ray of the same title? I realize Atmos over DD+ has no chance to be as good but very curious what people think who have it all working.

I’ll be approx 1 to 2 weeks away from doing this myself but ya... Delayed for now.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I would happily oblige, however I would be lucky to find anything much on the UK Netfilx with Atmos.:rolleyes: We are 40%+ down already on content, before our beloved Brexit fiasco and new EU regulations for parity of source. :eek: An up mix could be easier to find, but even that would not really be much fairer. It would likely be Dolby vs either True HD or Dts HDMA. I will look for a Dvd version in the collection. :)

Last night we finished off the Dunkirk. The sound is very good especially the dogfight and ship attacks. Still can't say I like the film much more than the drunk session, although it did make a lot more sense. :D

After that we did 3:10 to Yuma, Russell Crowe remake. I liked up mix results for just a Dvd. Gunfights and various location bits came across well. :) Lastly, although only half way through, was the remake of Nightmare on Elm St. This is working out very nicely. First 5 minutes is a pretty solid indicator. :) Have to say though, I thought as you get older Police look younger, in films however it seems teenagers look a lot older. If one of them was under 25 I would be surprised. o_O

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One thing I notice is that when I use DSU on a DTS track, the Dialogue doesn’t sound as good as using DTSNX on a DTS track. The dialogue doesn’t seem as clear or loud.

So I think it’s a good idea to use DSU only on Dolby tracks and DTSNX only on DTS tracks (or PCM, AAC).

Not a good idea to use DSU on a DTS track.

I think this should be the salient reason why Dolby puts a restriction on the upmixer - it doesn’t sound as good to mix DTS with Dolby.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis