The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok I do have Netflix Atmos working on the Apple 4K as well as the ITunes Atmos (Should have tried that first).

What I’m trying to figure out now is how to watch Prime on Apple 4K for Jack Ryan in Atmos. Mine plays in 5.1 PCM. Is Prime supposed to do Atmos on Apple 4K?
“To watch Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan with Dolby Atmos surround sound, you’ll obviously first need a Dolby Atmos compatible streaming device. The Amazon Fire TV 3 (pendant) and Fire TV Cubeare the only two Fire TV models that support Dolby Atmos. The Roku Ultra and Apple TV running the latest beta version of iOS 12 should also be able to stream with Dolby Atmos.”

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-surround-sound-on-amazon-fire-tv-devices/

Somehow you’ll have to get Prime to bitstream to the Apple 4K.

Is there an Audio Setting for Prime that allows to you change to ATMOS?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
“To watch Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan with Dolby Atmos surround sound, you’ll obviously first need a Dolby Atmos compatible streaming device. The Amazon Fire TV 3 (pendant) and Fire TV Cubeare the only two Fire TV models that support Dolby Atmos. The Roku Ultra and Apple TV running the latest beta version of iOS 12 should also be able to stream with Dolby Atmos.”

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-surround-sound-on-amazon-fire-tv-devices/

Somehow you’ll have to get Prime to bitstream to the Apple 4K.

Is there an Audio Setting for Prime that allows to you change to ATMOS?
Hmm I’m not running beta OS. I’m running the normal OS. That makes sense now. Thanks. :)

I also ordered Pride + Prejudice + Zombies UHD :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm I’m not running beta OS. I’m running the normal OS. That makes sense now. Thanks. :)

I also ordered Pride + Prejudice + Zombies UHD :)
Babes + Kung Fu + Zombies + Classic Masterpiece Story + Awesome Atmos Audio = :D:D:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I know it is lacking Atmos or DTSX, but have you guys tried DSU or Neural on Dunkirk?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have not, but I'll give it a try just to sample how it sounds. :D
A new sci fi that came out that I really like ANNIHILATION has a killer soundtrack to my delight the blue ray has Dolby Atmos I can't Wait to put it on and take it for a spin. It's raining here just got pizza looking forward to seeing how it sounds

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A new sci fi that came out that I really like ANNIHILATION has a killer soundtrack to my delight the blue ray has Dolby Atmos I can't Wait to put it on and take it for a spin. It's raining here just got pizza looking forward to seeing how it sounds
Nice! I’ve heard nothing but good things about that movie. Tmnt has a good Atmos track on BD and it has a very textured bass presence throughout. I think someone mentioned earlier but hacksaw ridge is insane. The PB4k’s will thank you! A couple movies that are a little different are both of the “now you see me” films. They have really cool soundtracks, but just remember to turn off your brain...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It does seem they’ve tried to force the upgrade issue on everyone with the uhd/Atmos thing. This infuriates me to no end and I wish they wouldn’t do that crap. BUT even without a uhd tv, you can still upgrade to Atmos. The the uhd player will just send the regular HD picture and you can still extract the Atmos track. And dsu/dtsnx do such a great job of upmixing older titles, why not upgrade...Also, there’s just around 350 bd titles with Atmos tracks so will quit saying there’s no content? Auro 3d in the other hand has absolutely little to no content.
The thing about the UHD titles is the extra cost over the regular version.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The thing about the UHD titles is the extra cost over the regular version.
Can’t argue there. I wish there was a way to metaphorically punch the studios in the face. It’s so damn frustrating that they can pull that crap. It’s basically extortion!!! The problem for me, is I’m just a little tiny fish in their great big ocean. I have no choice but to play their game.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Can’t argue there. I wish there was a way to metaphorically punch the studios in the face. It’s so damn frustrating that they can pull that crap. It’s basically extortion!!! The problem for me, is I’m just a little tiny fish in their great big ocean. I have no choice but to play their game.
Well guys I would love to tell you how it sounds but I've ran into a problem. The weirdest problem. One that I don't even know how to go forward on without getting some advice. I don't even want to risk my gear. I'm going to post this in the Denon thread PENG started because I don't even know where to put this the reciever the amps? This is really weird. If you get a chance come look over on that thread and I could sure use some advice fellas.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well guys I would love to tell you how it sounds but I've ran into a problem. The weirdest problem. One that I don't even know how to go forward on without getting some advice. I don't even want to risk my gear. I'm going to post this in the Denon thread PENG started because I don't even know where to put this the reciever the amps? This is really weird. If you get a chance come look over on that thread and I could sure use some advice fellas.
Ah what the heck I'm just going to post a new thread easier to focus on the issue without clogging the original thread

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Last night we watched Intersellar. Still not my favorite Nolan film and the last 30 mins is a bit meh, but up mixed, the sound was very nice, especially the duststorm, liftoff, travel through the wormhole. Overall it all worked well :) I will say dialogue is a bit low compared to the effects.

I also have starting watching Dunkirk. Only about half way through, but it too is sounding very good. Initial pounding of the mole, aerial attacks and first ambush in town.That said, the battle does not really stack up well against the Saving Private Ryan beach assault.

We were drunk the first time we watched it, completely lost the plot and had no idea what was going on. :eek: Kept wondering where all the people being evacuated were. Consequently we didn't really like the film. I may have been too harsh, but it's still not great for the main characters. Maybe it will improve by the end, I remember very little from the last time. ;)

ANNIHILATION, we probably read different reviews then @Danzilla31. It is an ok film, although I was not set up for Atmos at the time. :) It kind of looks pretty and has Natalie so it has that going for it, although I prefer her in V and Leon. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Last night we watched Intersellar. Still not my favorite Nolan film and the last 30 mins is a bit meh, but up mixed, the sound was very nice, especially the duststorm, liftoff, travel through the wormhole. Overall it all worked well :) I will say dialogue is a bit low compared to the effects.

I also have starting watching Dunkirk. Only about half way through, but it too is sounding very good. Initial pounding of the mole, aerial attacks and first ambush in town.That said, the battle does not really stack up well against the Saving Private Ryan beach assault.

We were drunk the first time we watched it, completely lost the plot and had no idea what was going on. :eek: Kept wondering where all the people being evacuated were. Consequently we didn't really like the film. I may have been too harsh, but it's still not great for the main characters. Maybe it will improve by the end, I remember very little from the last time. ;)

ANNIHILATION, we probably read different reviews then @Danzilla31. It is an ok film, although I was not set up for Atmos at the time. :) It kind of looks pretty and has Natalie so it has that going for it, although I prefer her in V and Leon. :)
Hah hah yeah I'm not always a review guy. Lol. It's not the best but I love sci fi so if it's halfway decent I'll dig it. I thought it was better then halfway decent so I loved it. The atmos mix was very enjoyable. There were parts were it's kind off overdone like obvious there trying to impress you versus does this work better for the immersion. But there were a couple scenes where they really nailed it in. When it's really working it's so cool what it does to the audio even on upmixes it just feels like the sound is more 3 dimensional like your in a bubble and sound is just all around you. I love that feeling. The parts where I liked it best were ok certain dynamic scenes such as when they arrive at the base and see that video where atmos would get me was not where I thought it would nail me. The final scene was pretty awesome with the audio by the way. Atmos was so cool with that scene

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

What's your favorite Nolan film? Mine is Memento. I think I got that right. Just a haunting film really it's also the kind off film where your like man I'm going to be following that directors work. That's where bed first grabbed my attention as someone I want to follow and keep my eye on

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw about 40 minutes of DUNKIRK yesterday in DTSNX.

The sound is definitely very good. I could hear the overhead speakers when planes fly overhead, which I think makes it more interesting than just plan DTS-HDMA. :D

INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, and DUNKIRK all have pretty great sound quality.

So far I think the DUNKIRK in DTSNX sounds great.

For INTERSTELLAR, I did have to use my Yamaha phone remote app to easily and quickly boost the Dialogue Level (+2 or +3, I forget already).

That's one bad thing about some of these movies. You have to boost that Dialogue Level with some of these movies.

I didn't have to boost the Dialogue Level for DUNKIRK, though.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's your favorite Nolan film?
Nolan has made a lot of great movies. I don't know if I could say just one is my favorite. :D

Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, and Inception are probably my four. :D

That means I'll have to re-watch Dark Knight Trilogy and Inception in DTSNX. :D

I get the feeling that Nolan isn't going to remix any of his movies in ATMOS, which is a shame IMO.

"Interstellar" would be so awesome in ATMOS (they could boost the Dialogue when they remix in ATMOS :D).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis