The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
More from pure laziness I have just been using the Neural X. Everything has been fairly clear dialogue wise, but it could possibly be better because Dolby has meta data for channel adjusts and this would be ignored, so we might be better off with DSU for Dolby and Neural X for Dts :)

We did get another atmos today. :D Ocean's 8 oddly we will see how this turns out later.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw “Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom” in DTSX today.

Thus far with everything I’ve seen, I thought that DTSX has been underwhelming overall.

Sadly this DTSX track from Fallen Kingdom doesn’t do anything to change my mind. We might as well upmix using DTSNX.

I think Dunkirk DTS upmix with DTSNX sounds better than Fallen Kingdom in DTSX. :D

I also checked out ”Inception” with DTSNX. Overall the sound is pretty great, except the dialogue seems a little low - kind of like with “Interstellar”.

“Dunkirk” has great Dialogue Level.

Does anyone have the new Yamaha AI for automatic Dialogue enhancement? I wonder if AI could effectively boost the dialogue for movies like Interstellar and Inception. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I saw “Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom” in DTSX today.

Thus far with everything I’ve seen, I thought that DTSX has been underwhelming overall.

Sadly this DTSX track from Fallen Kingdom doesn’t do anything to change my mind. We might as well upmix using DTSNX.

I think Dunkirk DTS upmix with DTSNX sounds better than Fallen Kingdom in DTSX. :D

I also checked out ”Inception” with DTSNX. Overall the sound is pretty great, except the dialogue seems a little low - kind of like with “Interstellar”.

“Dunkirk” has great Dialogue Level.

Does anyone have the new Yamaha AI for automatic Dialogue enhancement? I wonder if AI could effectively boost the dialogue for movies like Interstellar and Inception. :D
Interstellar is mixed like a slasher film. Not sure why the level is soft and then a big noise. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw Daredevil S03E06 “The Devil You Know” in ATMOS.

Just this one episode alone made more uses of the four overhead speakers (inner psychological voices) than all the DTSX movies combined. :D

The voices were panning among the 4 overhead speakers like billiards. It was really cool and truly demo material. So awesome. :D

ATMOS is unequivocally putting DTSX to shame.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
ATMOS is unequivocally putting DTSX to shame.
You may want to rethink that if you watch Ocean's 8. A fairly ok film, but Atmos does little if anything to help here. :eek: On the plus side even though remakes often don't work, up mixed Nightmare on Elm St sounded good. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You may want to rethink that if you watch Ocean's 8. A fairly ok film, but Atmos does little if anything to help here. :eek: On the plus side even though remakes often don't work, up mixed Nightmare on Elm St sounded good. :)
You could not pay me to watch Ocean’s 8 or Mamma Mia 2, which are 2 of the worst movies. :D

I really don't appreciate these sorry lame crappy movies getting the Atmos treatment. :D

These movies should get the DTSX treatment since there's really nothing happening in the overhead ceiling speakers. :eek: :D

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Speaking of cartoons, what’s the deal with Fox channels and all those so called adult cartoons? What a waste! You gotta be Purdy mind lazy to sit down to watch those stupid poorly directed cartoon shows, very lame!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Don’t forget, Mad Max Fury Road! “so I exist in this wasteland hunted by those I could not protect” :D

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking forward to re-watching Underworld and Underworld Blood Wars in ATMOS. I heard these movies have awesome Atmos tracks with good use of overhead speakers.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I rewatch all my movies, regularly TV sucks! Except for my live sports! New Orleans Saints! In 5.1! You hear the wind in the surrounds, the people’s in the stadium, the guys calling the game, he’s at the 10! the 5! touchdown! :D

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I rewatch all my movies, regularly TV sucks! Except for my live sports! New Orleans Saints! In 5.1! You hear the wind in the surrounds, the people’s in the stadium, the guys calling the game, he’s at the 10! the 5! touchdown! :D

Mike
Just wait until you up-mix the Saints games in DSU on your new AVR. When Drew Brees throws those long touchdowns, you will hear the velocity zipping through those overhead ceiling speakers! :eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking forward to re-watching Underworld and Underworld Blood Wars in ATMOS. I heard these movies have awesome Atmos tracks with good use of overhead speakers.
It's just Underworld Awakening gave me hope that the franchise was gonna get fresh life. And then blood wars happened and it sucked so Damn bad. At least if it sounds good that might take away some of the pain off watching that let down of a movie

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's just Underworld Awakening gave me hope that the franchise was gonna get fresh life. And then blood wars happened and it sucked so Damn bad. At least if it sounds good that might take away some of the pain off watching that let down of a movie
I can be VERY forgiving when it comes to the Underworld series LOL. :D

For one thing, I don't know of any other movies that have Lycans, instead of those werewolf/dogs. :D

The stories/plots are not classic masterpieces ("War and Peace and Vampires" ? :D).

But we still have Babes + Vampires + Lycans + Guns + Kung Fu. And if the Atmos tracks are awesome (unlike DTSX),there will still be a lot of goods.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I can be VERY forgiving when it comes to the Underworld series LOL. :D

For one thing, I don't know of any other movies that have Lycans, instead of those werewolf/dogs. :D

The stories/plots are not classic masterpieces ("War and Peace and Vampires" ? :D).

But we still have Babes + Vampires + Lycans + Guns + Kung Fu. And if the Atmos tracks are awesome (unlike DTSX),there will still be a lot of goods.
And we have Kate in skin tight black leather outfits :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Yes we all can be very forgiving of the Underworlds, except apparently Rotten Tomatoes, 31%. o_OGuaranteed, if they don't like it I probably will and vice versa. :D

I up mixed Underworld last night and that was excellent.:D Better than a fair number of others I have heard recently. Dare I say this might replace your PP&Z as top of the up mix tree. :p

I also did the Lincoln Lawyer, just love the soundtrack on this. :cool: Not particularly surroundy but good all the same.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes we all can be very forgiving of the Underworlds, except apparently Rotten Tomatoes, 31%. o_OGuaranteed, if they don't like it I probably will and vice versa. :D

I up mixed Underworld last night and that was excellent.:D Better than a fair number of others I have heard recently. Dare I say this might replace your PP&Z as top of the up mix tree. :p

I also did the Lincoln Lawyer, just love the soundtrack on this. :cool: Not particularly surroundy but good all the same.
What, those Tomatoes bastards! :D

You beat me to re-watching Underworld.

I don’t know how good PP&Z sounded upmixed, but the ATMOS version is great. Will see if Underworld ATMOS sounds better.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Yes Tomatoes what do they know, there not even a real fruit. :eek:

I was actually half way through Rise of the Lycans, but thought why not. :) I know your PP&Z is Atmos, but I thought the up mix of my Dvd did a stellar job, but indeed I think Underworld tops it. :D. I still have hundreds to re- watch I really need to stop backtracking. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis