The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Everything is through my custom-built HTPC/KODI.

I guess you need one of these devices to get ATMOS from Netflix:
  • Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
  • LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
  • Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
  • Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
  • Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
Ya I’m having issues getting the Apple 4K to work on tvOS 12, but I only spent about an hour troubleshooting. One thread I read on another site says Yamaha has a bug with doing Dolby Atmos over PCM. I can imagine I may actually have a setting wrong though. If there was a bug, Yamaha does updates every few months. I am not “too proud” to use DSU or Neutral to force sound but it’s not looking good. I need to get my speakers installed right before I get too far though. I just Jerry rigged them in my testing. Not sure why Apple favors PCM to do the audio.

If I get too anxious I’ll buy an Xbox. :)

I’m pretty crazy getting stuff right. My 5 bed channels are now set all at ear height and I watched several movies to be sure. The ceiling cuts have me making drawings... :)

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
You shouldn't be using PCM. It must be a bit stream to do Atmos, otherwise it would just be an up mix. Does the Apple have a setting for passthru without decoding?

Bit streaming works fine for my Xbox One, Roku 4k and HTPC for anything up to and including Atmos/Dts:X.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You shouldn't be using PCM. It must be a bit stream to do Atmos, otherwise it would just be an up mix. Does the Apple have a setting for passthru without decoding?
None of my other sources have used PCM so I get where you are coming from, but bitstream isn’t an option on the Apple 4K TV. Maybe another setting means that but I believe I tried all settings. I’ll give it another go soon.

At this moment, I’m watching movies on my 3.2 system in my living room. (Not in my theater room / Man cave). I have 3 systems. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
o_O:eek::D

Maybe someone with the Apple TV would know the right setting. I believe it is suppose to do Atmos, they did announce it recently and said anything purchased could be upgraded for free I think if the Atmos audio was available. Not all titles have it. I do know the choice of Atmos titles in Netflix is way better in the US than over here. :mad: Prime for me has 1, oddly a Disney short :confused:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc Tim Cook
Said Apple TV will be ready for Atmos soon.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t recall if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Netflix is streaming Dolby ATMOS contents.

So I am watching Marvel’s Daredevil S03 in ATMOS. :D

Will see how it sounds. I saw S03E01 late last night so I didn’t even realize it was in ATMOS. But it sounded pretty great, which explains it. :D

So not only are the majority of BDs in ATMOS, but streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are also now streaming ATMOS.

DTSX and Auro3D have no chance. :D
poop season 3 came out? I've been working too much! Netflix binge time here we come

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t recall if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Netflix is streaming Dolby ATMOS contents.

So I am watching Marvel’s Daredevil S03 in ATMOS. :D

Will see how it sounds. I saw S03E01 late last night so I didn’t even realize it was in ATMOS. But it sounded pretty great, which explains it. :D

So not only are the majority of BDs in ATMOS, but streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are also now streaming ATMOS.

DTSX and Auro3D have no chance. :D
Damn I hope not for DTS X cuz I kind off like it a little better then Atmos I don't know why but I do.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya I’m having issues getting the Apple 4K to work on tvOS 12, but I only spent about an hour troubleshooting. One thread I read on another site says Yamaha has a bug with doing Dolby Atmos over PCM. I can imagine I may actually have a setting wrong though. If there was a bug, Yamaha does updates every few months. I am not “too proud” to use DSU or Neutral to force sound but it’s not looking good. I need to get my speakers installed right before I get too far though. I just Jerry rigged them in my testing. Not sure why Apple favors PCM to do the audio.

If I get too anxious I’ll buy an Xbox. :)

I’m pretty crazy getting stuff right. My 5 bed channels are now set all at ear height and I watched several movies to be sure. The ceiling cuts have me making drawings... :)
It’s actually not a bug. Atmos has to be sent via bitstream. Period.

How many pencil marks do you have all over your ceiling? Lol!!! I spent about 10 minutes with a magic eraser removing all of mine. I think I might actually die before I get a f-ing receiver though.
I did consider wiring my top fronts to the side outputs and my top rears to the rear surround output. However, I refuse to concede. The “agreement” I made with my wife doesn’t appear to be the same one she made with me. Sooo.......
here I am!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s actually not a bug. Atmos has to be sent via bitstream. Period.

How many pencil marks do you have all over your ceiling? Lol!!! I spent about 10 minutes with a magic eraser removing all of mine. I think I might actually die before I get a f-ing receiver though.
I did consider wiring my top fronts to the side outputs and my top rears to the rear surround output. However, I refuse to concede. The “agreement” I made with my wife doesn’t appear to be the same one she made with me. Sooo.......
here I am!
Ya bitstream makes sense. I’ll mess with it when I have some free time.

My materials are all purchased so I’m in a good spot. I just need to do a little work. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya bitstream makes sense. I’ll mess with it when I have some free time.

My materials are all purchased so I’m in a good spot. I just need to do a little work. :)
I seem to recall you were really close to cutting some holes. Got any pics of your process?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I seem to recall you were really close to cutting some holes. Got any pics of your process?
Oh it’s pretty simple. I need to keep the proportions of the guides and make sure I’m lined up between the rafters when I cut. Some insulation rolls maybe above to protect each speaker from the blown-in insulation . Then I need to run the wires above the ceiling and out to the garage then back into the front lower corner of the room. I think a speaker panel with enough wiring posts then at that corner so it looks clean. That’s the plan at least. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh it’s pretty simple. I need to keep the proportions of the guides and make sure I’m lined up between the rafters when I cut. Some insulation rolls maybe above to protect each speaker from the blown-in insulation . Then I need to run the wires above the ceiling and out to the garage then back into the front lower corner of the room. I think a speaker panel with enough wiring posts then at that corner so it looks clean. That’s the plan at least. :)
Your killing us with the suspense! When you getting those suckers up there? :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah. Plans..... Hope it works out for you!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Your killing us with the suspense! When you getting those suckers up there? :)
Soon. :) Had some unforeseen events but should be back on track in a week or 2. :) Sorry to blab on the subject so much. :) Remember, it took me 4 mo to choose my bedroom speakers. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
o_O:eek::D

Maybe someone with the Apple TV would know the right setting. I believe it is suppose to do Atmos, they did announce it recently and said anything purchased could be upgraded for free I think if the Atmos audio was available. Not all titles have it. I do know the choice of Atmos titles in Netflix is way better in the US than over here. :mad: Prime for me has 1, oddly a Disney short :confused:
I think the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime is supposed to be available in ATMOS.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime is supposed to be available in ATMOS.
Ok I do have Netflix Atmos working on the Apple 4K as well as the ITunes Atmos (Should have tried that first).

What I’m trying to figure out now is how to watch Prime on Apple 4K for Jack Ryan in Atmos. Mine plays in 5.1 PCM. Is Prime supposed to do Atmos on Apple 4K?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as I can tell Atmos on the Apple 4K TV is on Netflix and ITunes only. I am not able to get Atmos from Amazon Prime for Jack Ryan. If someone is able to, please chime in...

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Well done getting the Netflix and ithing working. :) If it does not work currently then it is likely just awaiting an update from Amazon regarding the app. The important part was for Apple to support it. :)

Was not a great fan of the Jack Ryan, it was ok. Way happier with Man in a High Castle and Into the Badlands.:D

Last night we up mixed Avatar and Inception. That went well, lot of very nice moment in both.:eek: For Avatar particularly the birdies flapping and the early night attack by the wolf type things. Inception it is kind of hard to pick out just one, it is all the way through although the train and the rain from the first level was well done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis