What are you watching tonight?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Clear and Present Danger (1994)
Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1 / Lucasfim Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

Nice even LCR balance and split-surround stereo surrounds all around LFE.1 is sparingly used. Dialogue remains loud and clear throughout.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
GLORY (1989)
DOLBY STEREO TrueHD 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

1080p HD

Demo quality winner of best sound achievement all mixed recoded and released in 70mm DOLBY STEREO SR.

Chapter 14, 54th Massachusetts regiment, assault on fort Wagner.

Cannon fire from front then from behind deeply on JBL 8330 surround arrays thunders as they fly overhead and impact into the sand with LFE.1.

Musket firing is aggressive from both sides.

Performances are solid.

James Horner, is a score a classic with Boys Choir of Harlem.

If you're not already starting tear up with lump in the throat, as James Horner, score really plays it well as the 54h march into finnal battle and the history books.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Late night film.

CLIFFHANGER (1993)
dtsHDMA 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

Originally released in DOLBY STEREO SR and 70mm six-track DOLBY STEREO with split surrounds and SR-D.

With this I noticed when first getting a few years ago was the front and surrounds lefts/right was reversed very uncommon for bluray and common on VHS and maybe the odd laserdisc of other films.

Its straight forward reverse front surround on the back of the Onkyo TX-SR875 to put the sound and picture in sync.

Dynamics are high on the explosions.

The split surrounds are rocking listening fun in THX sound system, the JBL 8330 with rotor blades spinning around at 1:40:08 between surrounds and front JBL control 12SR LCR HF horns has nice transparent whistle tweeting effect like little birdies overhead. Some nice airy flapping bass on the LCRS as Sly, hangs on to rope ladder above the high mountain tops.

JBL 4645 handles the LFE.1 lows deeply at the start down to close to 20Hz the rest low end on LCRS gives the film a tense feeling on chapter 1, with some deep music notes from, Trevor Jones score.

Some dialogue pans are used now and then on stage left/right.

A sheer high rise action adventure classic.

Spectrum lab monitored on THX 3417 crossover/monitor SW LFE.1 top of the waterfall is just about were the harness breaks on chapter 1.

Waterfall monitored on (mix) THX shows LCR low end wow some low end for 1993. Gets tense just were the girl falls low end in the score presses on the body.

Surrounds thunder rolling all around on the 8330, at the end of chapter 2.

LFE.1 rumble track has windy turbulence on the JBL sub with midair heist.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Last Saturday's afternoon cult teen 80's classic.

THE BREAKFAST CLUB
(1985) DVD region 2

DOLBY STEREO DIGITAL 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

1080p 50Hz upscale

Brian Johnson: [closing narration] Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...

Andrew Clark: ...and an athlete...
Allison Reynolds: ...and a basket case...
Claire Standish: ...a princess...
John Bender: ...and a criminal...
Brian Johnson: Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.

"I am the eyes and ears of this institution, my friends."
Carl

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
THE ABYSS (1989) (theatrical)
DOLBY STEREO 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

1080p 50Hz upscale zoom mode 2

The surrounds ultra smooth timber with JBL 8330 to JBL control 12SR LCR matched.

Caution alarm sounding on stage left bleeping.

Buoy flies over the surrounds smoothly.

Helicopters smoothly move away from screen channels to the surrounds smoothly.

I'm not holding my breath for the bluray if its released its released but for now the DVD is not all that bad at least it has discrete Dolby 5.1 and the zoom 2 mode on the LG makes it look like 16:9.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
STAR TREK TOS on CBS action this morning.

"Space Seed". captain Kirk, meets Khan.

"A Taste of Armageddon" A planet fights with its neighboring planet with computers that add up the casualties that must report to designating machines.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
APOLLO 13 (1995) THX Laserdisc dts 6channel / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

1080p 60Hz upscale

Sounds/feels like my 14Ilb black cat sat on my chest.

Scares me at times when LEM is blasting around THX cinema on chapter 43.

Analog setting is on Laserdisc player as it would normally output a dts bit steam noise so the Dolby CP500 can playback though Sony SDDS DFPD-D3000 on PRESET 7 while PRESET 6 is for digital Onkyo TX-SR75. Switching formats is seamless with no sound breaks. While the analog is compressed down heavily on some of the loudest moments the dts 6cahnnel remains fully dynamic charged on chapter 13, launch.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was just checking out a new movie called "Northmen - A Viking Sega" and I have to say that the sound Force is strong with this one. :D

I love the sound of the monstrous ocean waves and the thunderous horses.

I don't know if the story itself is great, but the first 20 minutes seemed pretty good. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just Finished Orphan Black season 2 and eagerly awaiting season 3 in April. It is really a fun show to watch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just Finished Orphan Black season 2 and eagerly awaiting season 3 in April. It is really a fun show to watch.
I'm waiting for season 3 as well. Surprisingly addictive. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Fargo TV Series Five Episodes In. Great show so far anybody else watching?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nope!!! Finished up last night. :) That midget character is my favourite of them all.
Hopefully they won't kill him off like they tend to do with just about any characters on any given season. :eek:

I was kind of worried they might have killed him off at the end of season 4. That was a close one. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully they won't kill him off like they tend to do with just about any characters on any given season. :eek:

I was kind of worried they might have killed him off at the end of season 4. That was a close one. :D
]

If they kill him off, I may stop watching the series... may.... not a 100% behind this option.... just considering...

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
DRACULA (1992) NTSC laserdisc
Dolby Stereo / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

1080p 60Hz upscale. Image looked a bit rough on the pressing but I could make it out what is happening even though the cinematography was on the dark side of lighting but that's the mood setting for the film as its dark love story.

Dolby Stereo film mix was on the loud side during dramatic action scenes especially on side 3 CAV the final chase across the mountains was well above 0db on the Dolby CP500 at times and fader on the Sony SDDS was set at -7.2 which is around maybe "4.5". Bass levels was cool with some extra sub bass extension. Dialogue remained crisp and clear though softest to loudest moments. Sound effects was fantastic creepy eerie while the Count moves around in shadow. Music score was cool though a bit bright and I had to lower the LCR HF horns down that is on separate own fader on the Dolby CP55 that controls the HF EQ as well.

Sound across LCR had bit of noticeable openness on mellow scenes when Count, visits London, for quick bite.

I had to trim the surround treble and some few other middle range narrow bands on the CP45 for the sidewall surround arrays and then it was okay to play and still loud thou on extreme loud music/effects.

Surrounds sounded immersive with JBL 8330 mkII.

Annex Lennox "love song for a vampire" is additive on the end credits nice sounding played it over 20 times.

Final thought I think a fader setting "-10.0db" its like ever now and then film mixes go extreme loud and I wonder if they have tinnitus and really bad hearing loss? Then again I can always vary the fader level which is what I occasionally do if its bloody loud mix if its a good mix of loudness that doesn't go over the top as I can see the levels on Dolby CP500 or Sony SDDS processor.

Oh you pale chrome look melts my heart.

She's really cross now.

Dynamics really starting to peak high on the Dolby CP500 with near to +10db turn the fader down on the Sony SDDS.

Got love the Annex Lennox "love song for a vampire" on the end credits.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
CRIMSON TIDE (1995) THX Laserdisc
dts 6channel / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

1080p 60Hz upscale

Playing this dts submarine bass/sub bass modern day classic again.

Discovering more hidden Below surround with CRIMSON TIDE this afternoon with PLIIx switched ON with CP45 sidewall surrounds switched ON Disc 1, Side 2 chapter 13, time 6:49 the SSBN-731 Alabama, crawls alone on the below surrounds underneath the seats to front LCR channels.

I like chapter 16, and the countermeasures being fired across L to C that fire upwards to sidewall surround arrays and sinning around in the water with whoosh'y sound on stage left and the sub crawling away in abyssal depths with Hans Zimmer, score beating away.

Disc 1, side 2 chapter 19, 26.08 "torpedoes in the water" they pan across the JBL 8330 smoothly left sur right sur with matrix overhead/below surround the immersive diy cheap expansion gets my dts THX Laserdiscs juices going. This film still rocks!

Wow like the speed at Denzel Washington, speaks at "Go to manual on the arming mechanisms, tubes two and four." I wonder how many TAKES that took to get it nailed.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis