What are you watching tonight?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Quantum of Solace (2008)
Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1 / Lucafilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

Brilliant action sequences with the Dolby 5.1 with PLIIx switched in with extra surround expansion overhead/below surrounds.

The bass in the room was filling and the seats vibrating with waves of low frequency pressure pressing on my body particularly with the free-fall when Bond and Camille, leap out of the airplane the rushing of the air was almost lifting me out of the seat.

LCR of airplane helicopter chase scene.

LFE.1 Free-fall scene from airplane the waves of rushing air was literally pressing on my body.

The final showdown of any Bond film has to be exciting. Bond, leaps onto bonnet of jeep and yells out "you and I had a mutual friend". BANG the action starts. The recoil of the pistol pushed me back in the seat with jolt. Foley body punches in the hotel bedroom between Camille and General Medrano while Bond and Dominic Greene slug it out on the catwalk with a final axe in the foot, ouchhhhhh! While fiery hotel inferno burning exploding and falling apart all around with sub bass ecclesiastic springy wobbling feeling.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
:)Thought I'd pass this on...
Katy Perry's 'Prismatic' World Tour is Coming to Epix on March 28!

Katy Perry goes full incognito as she steps out with her security and a group of friends on Saturday (February 21) in Milan, Italy.

The 30-year-old singer treated herself to a bit of retail therapy at Corso Como 10 then made her way to Da Giacomo restaurant to have dinner.

Katy just announced that she will be airing her full Prismatic World Tour on Epix!

“USA If you didn’t get to attend the #PrismaticWorldTour, I’m giving you the DOPE chance to see it on March 28th @ 8pm on @EpixHD!,” Katy tweeted along with a official teaser clip – Watch it below!

Katy Perry – ‘The Prismatic World Tour’ Official Teaser
Free 2 week trial and see the show for FREE: http://www.epixhd.com/devices/

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Freebie And The Bean (1974)
Mono / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System

Arrived yesterday comedy/action Freebie And The Bean, on laserdisc transfer 2.35:1 has gritty film-like the colour contrast/brightness is fine for laserdisc.

Jacket cover is is reasonable condition and nice to hold the film.

Freebie and the Bean, comes as MONO soundtrack has clear dialogue intelligibility even during the loudest action sound effect chase scenes of cars crashing into each other with screeching loud metal.

Gun shootout in men toilets rattles loud.

hollywood should use more Cats in films.

Its the Cat again.

Just Scan mode

Zoom 2 mode

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Recently watched:
Katy Perry 2014 Concert Tour in Aussie via EPIXHD(free for 2 weeks) B+ Colorful & mindless fun. :)
DVD: RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION B- not bad but not as good as the 2nd one. Looking foward to the last 2 in 3D. :)
Netflix:
One Day A-
The Hole B-
Netflix Series Bloodline S1 E1-7 A+
1st of the trilogy: The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him B+
Bloodties B+
Finally finished Orange Is the New Black: Season 1 A-
Life Itself(Docu on Roger Ebert) B+
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn(One of Robin Williams last roles. Great scene with JEJ (Darth Vader) B-
White Bird in a Blizzard B+
You're Not You(I was bawling on this one, which rarely happens) A-
Amazon Prime Video:
BBC Series The Hours S1 A+

Last edited:
H

hankki

Junior Audioholic
Not tonight but on Saturday morning at 6:30, sent wife to work, I started watching hobbit 1 and 2 and on sunday morning at 6:30, wife to work, I watched all the lord of the rings.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Interstellar (2014)
dtsHDMA 5.1 -PLIIx expansion surround overhead/below surround / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

"Interstellar" is a solid stellar class 5 star. :)

The pacing of the story seems to plays smoothly.

Dialogue is fine its a better Nolan, LCRS/SW mix since Inception, Interstellar is light-years better mix.

Han Zimmer score gently underscores softly the love of father "Cooper" and daughter "Murph" when leaving only she wants him to "stay" its a tearjerker emotional scene that leads to launch into space.

Nice low vibration that shudders all x6 cinema seats between 30Hz.

Levels on chapter 9, during leaving the solar system stayed at equally levels on the SDDS.

Docking chapter 16, the score/organ pipes reach deep and sound effects and dialogue was intensifying low freaqucy vibration pushing me back into the seat.

Chapter 17, The Black Hole scene WOW the intensity was pushing back in the seat leading to mind bending scene.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
We Were Soldiers (2002) HD-DVD 1080p
Dolby Stereo Digital Plus / PLIIx * matrix expansion overhead/below surround / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL.

Totally surrounded by a mirage hail of bullets and helicopters.

http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/pdf/sonic_boom.pdf

Extra surround detected picked on bottom row CP45 on surround.

Chapter 15, troops pinned in by the VA radio man voice pans circles around the side wall surrounds to PLIIx left/right as Col. Moore, evaluates the situation.

Some sounds moving above and others below the seating.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Despicable Me 3D Whoa Rollercoaster and Rocket Launch(Holy Bass Workout :eek: ) My 2nd viewing and loved it even more. 1st viewing was in 2d. A must get. A+:cool: Looking forward to the 2nd one which I've never seen. :)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug liked this one better than the first one in the trilogy. Heavy bass workout on this one towards the middle/ending. :cool:B+ time to order the latest one in 2d. Eventually I'd like to get the extended trilogy in 3D boxset(whenever it comes out and on sale).

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Some cheap DVD region 1 arrivals this yesterday morning Saturday 11th April 2015.

Apollo 13 (1995)
DIE HARD (1988)

DIE HARD same Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1 re-mix to the region 2 DVD that I have and same main menus. The sound effects are still in the wrong locations (and the THX laserdisc Dolby Stereo AC-3 is still officially the theatrical Dolby mix with correct sound effects placement). I still doubt the bluray is theatrical.

I need only play the scene when the cassette tape is pushed into the car hi-fi player that sounded incorrect on centre stage. Now there are few other language tracks Dolby 2.0 English, Dolby 5.1 English, and French that has the sound effects in correct location tape pushed in and sounding on right stage speaker.

I paid less than 3 for Die Hard so no loss.

Apollo 13, main menu has James Horner score and can be advanced forwards to next track using the (forward faction button on the player or remote) Score is only Dolby 2.0.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Apollo 13 (1995) DVD region 1.
Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

The picture looks the same to the THX laserdisc to THX Signature to region 2 to son of the DVD SE to HD-DVD well slight difference to bluray slight small difference and theatrically 35mm at the cinema its still a good film to video transfer.

Chapter 7 is okay on the region 1. The region 2 DVD has centre channel loss during the nightmare sequence that plays normal after the nightmare.

Chapter 13, right surround channel at between 34m.48s-49s still has the small pop/crackle sound I guess the re-recoding mixers missed that. Its the same on all optical disc formats of Apollo 13.

Main menu with the James Horner, score same as the THX laserdisc Signature Collection., where score is on disc 2 side 4 on analog track.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Last night A Good Year

The Book Thief Today

Maybe Jakob the Liar tonight.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This past week, I watched Season 1 (five episodes) of Vanilla Ice Goes Amish.

I have to say - I liked it! I thought he was a d-bag back in the 90's, but he comes across as a genuine and nice guy in this show. I thought it was entertaining, too. It's on Netflix right now.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
STAR WARS (1977) CBS/FOX laerdisc letterbox edition
Dolby Stereo / on CP500 SDDS Lucasfiilm Ltd THX Sound System, JBL 72 speakers a few days ago.

Onkyo TX-SR875 1080p upscale for video only the sound was routed to though the Dolby CP500 on PRESET 7 on the SDDS.

The x-wings sound cool. The swing across the chasm, just before all that the voices echo from front to surrounds just sounds like it, down town 37 years ago.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched a B rated movie on Netflix called "Grabbers" where an alien crashes off the coast of small town Ireland draining the blood out of its victims but shunning the intoxicated ones because alcohol was poisonous to it. They end up killing it by pouring some moonshine down its yap. It was a dumb movie but it it had its funny parts.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
dtsHDMA 5.1 PLIIx with overhead/below expansion surround 3.4.4.2.2.6.1 (I lost count) lol / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x72 speakers.

Resume from last when played might have been months ago.

There are dialog pans across the stage channels and some occasional ones moving off screen and along the right side wall arrays of surrounds at the opening.

Fab bookmark scene

Yeah the picture is still stunningly clear.

2h.23m.38s James Horner score with choir voices chanting (really immersive surround) the stage bass I can feel on my chest with some scenes dragon birds swoop down across stage channels and overhead on my diy own overheads and along the side wall surrounds to back surrounds.

Sully, jumping off the dragon-bird on top of the hover-dragon-ship is running across the hover dragon ship, with each footstep being felt [stomp, stomp] while pulling the pins from the hand-grandes with his teeth clearly stands out on centre stage while L/R remains clear with stereo wide spread openness.

Have a nice day, Quaritch.

Playing same scene from 2h.23m.38s while LCR are muted on Sony SDDS D3000 the clusters of surrounds side/rear/overhead/below is exciting for those love or hate the film, I wasn't into AVATAR years ago, but slowly go into it, for the action scenes, its great demo all around.

Its mostly score and sound effects heard during the scene some off side wall surround explosions. 2h.24m.21 choir fades out the strings take over with faster rhythm with distant alarm briefly in background the exterior of the dragon-hover blades high pitch spinning on the surrounds as the Col. Quaritch, goes to release hatch that (only sounds across stage channels) fires at Sully, that drops a missile that only sounds on stage channels the surrounds has rise level in the score then as flash of explosion moves backwards from fronts to surrounds in Quaritch, face.

The below surrounds are so defused with score its just all around above and below.

2h.25m.15s the dragon-hover-ship hits the trees from behind bending and snapping the breaking the branches as they crack from behind then across the stage channels one by one before finally plummeting nose down into the forest, [kaboom]!

its a knock out fun listening film. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis