What are you watching tonight?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
BASIC INSTINCT (1992) region 2 DVD
DOLBY STEREO DIGITAL 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

1080p 50Hz upscale

Another showing this year of the sexual psychopathic ice cold pick blonde killer. The Jerry Goldsmith score sets the tone up nicely on the opening credits.

Nice open LCR stage of atmospheric immersive sounds, surround mix channels have there own time as well LFE.1 is sparingly used most of the bass is covered over LCRS.

Difference between theatrical PAL Laseridisc is one scene has no score it while the DVD release has score playing when Nick storms out of the police building at chapter 16, time 0.50.35.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Borrowed this from the local library and watched the first out of 6 DVD installment . very interesting stuff..

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hmm. The pic link is broken but it is a good link when I copied the URL.

I caught up on Gotham last night. Crazy last couple of episode.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My bad, Appalachia is only a 3 disc compilation not 6 as mentioned before. My better half and I watched disc2. Things of note

• the civil war divided families in the Appalachians causing them to fight one another unwillingly. Forced conscription by both sides will do that
  • the Cherokee who had help defeat the British in the war of Independance became wealthy land owners and also had slaves to help them with their farms. All their land and slaves were taken away by Andrew Jackson and were forced to migrate west. ( this bullet is all new to me but don't forget I'm Canadian :) )
  • companies interested in coal expropriated the lands from the Appalachians, forced them to work for almost nothing, forced to pay rent for accommodations owned by the coal companies and forced to purchase goods from the coal company store. Talk about indentured servitude (also new to me)
  • The coal wars came to a head in the 1900s and again after WW1 were the Appalachians tried to unionize their labour force and the coal companies wanted to keep the unions out. The coal companies brought in hired guns to prevent the unions from developing. At one point, the US government were going to fly over the Appalachian camps and drop bombs on them, the only time in US history that the government were going to bomb their own people. It never came to be as the plains crashed due to foggy conditions. (also new to me)

Very colored history in Appalachia for sure.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Multiple showings (again) today
STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)
DOLBY STEREO / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x75 speakers.

Laerdisc to DVD-RW original DOLBY mix (not on bluray) as the bluray has some missing sound effect and added echo delay to stage right, so only original is played here.

1080p 60Hz upscale

"12th power energy field" 12th power sub bass. :p
Mr. Spock

"12th power!"
Sulu

"Captain, I suspect there's an object at the heart of that Cloud."
Mr. Spock

Woooooooow the ending is so cool with Jerry Goldsmith, score playing to the U.S.S. Enterprise, the string and horn are felt and the way the score as that mouth Dolby Stereo (THX) watering drooling as the Enterprise warp engines "engage" and she warp speeds away with thunderos roar and deep boom on the Jerry's score, yummy tasty.

"Engage!"

Nice thunderous Dolby THX JBL kick.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a marathon weekend .. in this order;
  1. Star Wars 4
  2. Star Wars 5
  3. Star Wars 6
  4. Star Wars 1
  5. The Hunger Games Catching Fire
  6. The Hunger Games Mocking Jay Part 1
  7. Just started Blade Runner..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone seen the French TV series "The Returned (Les Revenant) season 01? The US series "The Returned (US)" just premiered last night. I might check them out tonight.

Also good news that AMC has ordered 2 seasons of "The Walking Dead Spinoff series" which will premiere this Summer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Whiplash via Redbox. Considering adding to my collection. I liked it. Fun performances, good story, great audio.

Also watched The Equalizer. The ending could have been a bit better IMO, but overall it was well done. Blind bought this one and wasn't disappointed.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched DragonHeart 3 on Netflix last night.... Sean Connery makes a better dragon

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Friday night I had a double feature of John Wick and The 5 Deadly Venoms. John Wick was better than I expected. I'm a big Shaw Brothers fan and Venoms is one of my favorites. I was glad to find it on BluRay.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Friday night I had a double feature of John Wick and The 5 Deadly Venoms. John Wick was better than I expected. I'm a big Shaw Brothers fan and Venoms is one of my favorites. I was glad to find it on BluRay.
Agreed, saw John Wick yesterday as well. Simple and old story, but done well with few plot twists.
Worth a watch if looking for solid action flick.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Started to watch Blacklist. Overall not terrible, but could be better. Try not to think about storyline details as its full of holes.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Recently on Netflix:
Rectify: Season 2 E 1 and 2 Great moody series.
One Child: UK Miniseries Highly recommend it.
Oscar's Oasis Love this cartoon series.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: S1E1 Pretty good so far.
Recently on Bluray:
Fury: B+
Sin City 2 3D: Awesome in 3D story is ok, but not better than the first one. B+
Paramore - The Final Riot!: Really enjoyed this concert. A+
Recently on DVD:
An Evening with the Dixie Chicks: Natalie Maines can sing her a$$ off. A+

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
If I have time, I want to do another double feature Friday night, Hot Fuzz followed by The Wicker Man.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched "In Time" last night starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried. I totally enjoyed this flick and its concept. I'm not a Timberlake fan but I will give him kudos for a job well done. Its worth a rental.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Five Deadly Venoms is one of my favorite Kung Fu Movies when I was a kid

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis