Yamaha RX-A3080 vs Anthem MRX 1140

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Looking to upgrade my current Yamaha RX-A2040 in the near future. The only reason for upgrading is to be able to run 7.2.4, as the A2040 can only run 5.2.4, or 7.2.2

The two above mentioned AVR are the ones I've been looking at. Both are similarly priced 3700$ for the Yamaha vs 4000$ for the Anthem (Canadian). Both capable of 11 (or more) channels of Audio.

I'm currently running a 7.2 set up, with a crappy L/C/R I bought 5.5 years ago, but recently upgraded to 2 Paradigm Defiance X12 subwoofers and 4 KEF Q150 for Side/Rear surrounds. I'm upgrading the front Soundstage to Paradigm Premiere 800F towers ×3 (along with an ATS) in the very near future.

Thoughts on those two AVR, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Cheers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The CXA5200 is a pre-pro, the MRX1140 is an avr. Do you need amps in the unit or not? Maybe you mean a Yamaha 3080?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The CXA5200 is a pre-pro, the MRX1140 is an avr. Do you need amps in the unit or not? Maybe you mean a Yamaha 3080?
Facepalm o_O

How did I not notice that? Just realized that in order to run the CX-A5200, you need the MX-A5200 to power it.............

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Facepalm o_O

How did I not notice that? Just realized that in order to run the CX-A5200, you need the MX-A5200 to power it.............
Well you might have been using the Yamaha avr you have as a prepro for all I know.....but did seem a bit odd to compare different units like that. If avrs are in the running I'd look at Denon myself with similar feature set....

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Well you might have been using the Yamaha avr you have as a prepro for all I know.....but did seem a bit odd to compare different units like that. If avrs are in the running I'd look at Denon myself with similar feature set....
AVR is definitely what I'm looking for. It's strictly for my dedicated HT room.

Which Denon AVR would you recommend based upon my needs listed above? (IE 7.2.4 HT setup) Let's say my budget is in the 3~5k range (in Canadian Pesos :D) 6700H?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not shopping so am not up on all my number of processing channels thing but would think about the 3700/4700 with amps as needed....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Is the RX-A3080 even available? :D It has been on backorder for a long time.

Assuming both are available, it depends on your preference on a few things.

A. Room Correction EQ. Do you care for it? Is it a must-have? If YES, the Anthem or Denon/Marantz might be better.

B. WiFi Remote App, Music Streaming App. Yamaha has the edge IMO.

C. Less Heat Production. Yamaha has the edge.

D. Reliability. Yamaha has the edge IMO.

E. Customer Support. Yamaha probably has the edge IMO.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic

A. Room Correction EQ. Do you care for it? Is it a must-have? If YES, the Anthem or Denon/Marantz might be better.

That's certainly an issue right now, I've looked everywhere I can think of, and no one even has the RX-A3080 listed on their websites.

I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade that part of my HT room yet, next thing is my front Soundstage along with an ATS. Then possibly the projector. I'm probably a ~year out from looking for a new AVR, depending on my ability to save/budget for the stuff I want.

Thanks for the reply.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

I would agree with this except for E. Although my experience is limited, I found Anthem's customer support better than Yamaha.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's certainly an issue right now, I've looked everywhere I can think of, and no one even has the RX-A3080 listed on their websites.

I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade that part of my HT room yet, next thing is my front Soundstage along with an ATS. Then possibly the projector. I'm probably a ~year out from looking for a new AVR, depending on my ability to save/budget for the stuff I want.

Thanks for the reply.
Look at the used market, especially if targetting Yamaha AVRs. I bought a used RX-A3060, basically a RX-A3080 from your perspective. All my AVRs in my signature are used and have been problem free.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

Thanks for the reply.
Crutchfield shows 3080 available in their Scratch/Dent inventory...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I’ve sold off a bunch of avrs in the last few weeks. I have two main setups that I’m using. One 3ch canton chrono with pioneer elite 502. Other is a canton vento setup that I keep testing different avrs. I sold Integra drx7.1, onkyo rz920, denon 4500and denon 6700.

The last two I have left is a Yamaha 3080 and Arcam avr10. This is a 7.1.4 setup and I’m torn on which one to keep. One will be sold though in next week. Yamaha and Arcam are really close for movies, but dialogue is incredible on Arcam. Surround steering is close but Arcam is just better. With music Arcam wins easy, the issues are Yamaha just is so reliable. It’s on screen display is much better, more user friendly and just has less overall bugs. It’s hard though, Arcam just sounds better.
89B0D65A-8C84-4306-8BE2-DE02E0F7E493.jpg
B7DC4D1D-2B6C-431D-BB5F-7FFE6DA7D611.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis