Anthem MRX 740 vs MRX 1140 AV Receiver Bench Test Comparison!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Any more opinions? Has anyone had both AV's?
After 6 pages, you still want more?:D I remember reading posts from someone who had both but there are 375 pages to search, unfortunately.

Owners Thread for MRX 540, 740 & 1140 Receivers | AVS Forum

I think I have expressed enough opinion of my own, but could add one more, that is, if your want to minimize bug issues, ARCG performance and the lack of independent subwoofer outputs, forget both and stick with the big names such as Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz.

The Integra DRX-8.4 and the AVR-X4800H would be my choice if you cannot wait, otherwise wait till Christmas or early next year as by that time, Denon would likely revert back to using AKM, or a better ESS DAC IC for the prepro section, though the difference would not be audible to 99% of the population, but Dirac Live will make a difference especially if you believe in RC/EQ full range.

If you are fixated on the MRX-740 vs MRX-1140, then I would just repeat, the dividing line is mainly, if not only, the independent sub outs. The 740 offers two, but they are not independent like the 1140's are. That means, if you only use one sub, there is no reason to pay more for the 1140.

P

Peter45

Audiophyte
After 6 pages, you still want more?:D I remember reading posts from someone who had both but there are 375 pages to search, unfortunately.

Owners Thread for MRX 540, 740 & 1140 Receivers | AVS Forum

I think I have expressed enough opinion of my own, but could add one more, that is, if your want to minimize bug issues, ARCG performance and the lack of independent subwoofer outputs, forget both and stick with the big names such as Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz.

The Integra DRX-8.4 and the AVR-X4800H would be my choice if you cannot wait, otherwise wait till Christmas or early next year as by that time, Denon would likely revert back to using AKM, or a better ESS DAC IC for the prepro section, though the difference would not be audible to 99% of the population, but Dirac Live will make a difference especially if you believe in RC/EQ full range.

If you are fixated on the MRX-740 vs MRX-1140, then I would just repeat, the dividing line is mainly, if not only, the independent sub outs. The 740 offers two, but they are not independent like the 1140's are. That means, if you only use one sub, there is no reason to pay more for the 1140.
Well, not only the independent SW output, but also the 4 more channels and the power supply that is toroidal in the 1140 and not in the 740, I don't know to what extent this is important, but I think so.

And by the way, the Arcam AVR20 also has independent SW outputs.

I appreciate your opinion (despite the 6 pages) but you are not the only one, I am also interested in the opinion of other colleagues, especially those who have been lucky enough to try both: Anthem MRX 740 and Arcam AVR20, which I think is not your case

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, not only the independent SW output, but also the 4 more channels and the power supply that is toroidal in the 1140 and not in the 740, I don't know to what extent this is important, but I think so.

And by the way, the Arcam AVR20 also has independent SW outputs.

I appreciate your opinion (despite the 6 pages) but you are not the only one, I am also interested in the opinion of other colleagues, especially those who have been lucky enough to try both: Anthem MRX 740 and Arcam AVR20, which I think is not your case
Understood, and fair enough, but I am curious to know if you are seeking out others (those who have tried both the Anthem and Arcam) opinions, how would that help you decide? You most likely will not get consensus by nature of the fact that such opinions will be highly subjective, so are you going to do your own "poll" such that if there are 10 such people and 7 of them say the Arcam "sound better", assuming that's what you are most interested in..., then you would be leaning to go with the AVR20?

On the objective side, I trust you do agree you have the information already, such as the independent subout and the higher internal amp channel count. To be clear, I am asking out of my own curiosity, and I respect your approach on this.

P

Peter45

Audiophyte
No man, I really appreciate your opinion, but as you well say, the objective data is there and I already know it. But as I say, it would be nice to hear from someone who has had both and Say YOUR opinion, about which one you like best and why. After all, that's what forums are for, right? To listen to other people's opinions and then draw your OWN conclusion (for those of us who don't have the possibility to test several devices)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis