Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
He gave them time to validate measures and respond. They confirmed it and we know that, although likely inaudible, it cannot be rectified until next production cycle. What is holding the review now is an interesting question.
He's waiting on the check from Yamaha so he can cash it before Yamaha puts a stop payment on it. :D

Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
Hey guys, sorry I don't have any thing to say about conspiracies, evolution of species, or even string theory. But here is my new receiver at home.

Attachments

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys, sorry I don't have any thing to say about conspiracies, evolution, of species, or even string theory. But here is my new receiver at home.
Lol, which one is it? A8A, A6A, A4A? Great post to break the ice. Yeah, don't know if you've been following this thread. It's all in fun though. Me either, I don't know anything about the minichloricans that can make a AVR run hot either.;) Some of these guy's seem to be experts on just about everything. Welcome to AH, just wear some hip boots cause the BS can get a lil deep, all in fun bro. One more thing if your in the USA? Register on yamaha's website for your extra 2 years of warrant.

Last edited:
Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
A4A, looked at the 2 and it seemed like a gussied up standard line. Started out with a Plasma that seemed to be heading out the door and ended up replacing everything. Got it all now except for the TV so did it backwards. Did not know about the difficulty of getting AV receivers at this point. decided on this one and when Crutchfield had one show up in open box jumped right on it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
A4A, looked at the 2 and it seemed like a gussied up standard line. Started out with a Plasma that seemed to be heading out the door and ended up replacing everything. Got it all now except for the TV so did it backwards. Did not know about the difficulty of getting AV receivers at this point. decided on this one and when Crutchfield had one show up in open box jumped right on it.
Yeah, I waited 6 months for my A4A. Take your time with your A4A. It looks at first intimidating to set up in the menu, but once you get use to the menu settings it's pretty easy. Had a plasma back in 2011 sure do miss it.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
They all get caught sooner or later. GM got hit with fines all the time. You remember Ford incident with the Firestone tires. Takota air bag issue that when deployed shrapnel would fly out and kill people. Lot more serious than a 2.1 board replacement or future creature feature updates.
They all get caught, true, but the comparison does not seem analogous. The seriousness of issues in car industry could directly affect the safety of road users. With AVRs, the issue with HDMI 2.1 board fiasco is a different thing. Just because it is not that serious comparing to cars, it does not mean it is less important on its own.

That said, it could seriously affect someone's mental health ;)

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
When ever two humans try to communicate using the same language and words, there can be miscommunication over the meaning of certain words—encoding a meaning by the sender and the decoding of a different meaning by the receiver. My intended purpose was to empathize with Gene’s position and present where that position helps us in the long term.
Not to irritate the less naive among us.
The reason why @clone1008 replied to you with a hint of sarcasm is not because there was misunderstanding. Your earlier post #2,370 was multifaceted and complex, and the reply was focused on one aspect of it. Both of you made valuable points to explore. In order to understand your thoughts from that post, it needs to be broken down, as there are several layers of ideas to unpack. Here it is:

"Accusing Gene of being on Yamaha’s payroll because he isn’t releasing potentially bad bench measurements is short sighted."

- It would be useful to clarify what is holding the publication. Is it Christmas buying season, and therefore minimizing damage? Lack of time? Waiting for more information? You name it. Clarity is always welcomed, especially for devices that did not have a fortunate start, to put it mildly, last year. If there is no clarity and in timely fashion, questions naturally multiply.

"As I mentioned earlier he serves as a valuable bridge between industry and hobbyist consumers. We all need a robust industry designing and competing for our purchases."

- I am with you, absolutely. Unfortunately, competitiveness and robustness have not been great recently on several fronts. The industry is in the state of flux. You can blame Covid, incompetence of some engineers, pushy product managers without imagination about how devices in consumer electronics market should work together in 2020/2021, lack of accurate communication between teams of people from AVR vendors and sourcing companies, etc. There are multiple problems. I wonder have they learnt lessons from what has been going on? The industry is everything but robust at the moment. It's fragile in my analysis.

"Finding an “Aha” flaw and then publishing that right away could do unnecessary harm to that company. "

- No one has put any pressure on Gene to publish it right away. He gave us a few short updates. There is nothing wrong in asking about timeline. One member did ask a few days ago, in another thread. No clear answer at the moment. The concept of "unnecessary harm" is complex and needs to be balanced out against the interest of consumers, not only companies. After all, devices are not made for museums, but for consumers. So, if you want to have a robust industry, the scrutiny needs to be robust and honest too. Gene said that, paraphrasing, "the thing is a hot mess". Well, that does not sound optimistic, does it? That's another reason why people are curious about various measurements.

"As he is doing and has done in the past, he brings their engineers into his findings allowing them time to formulate a corrective software or a perhaps firmware fix. "

- Yes, that's fine. We also know, and this has been repeated several times on the thread, that Yamaha responded to him that there was no firmware fix for this problem, whatever the problem(s) is/are. Perhaps new production line. It's not clear if even then.

"There are not that many companies producing the products we purchase. He needs them to produce products, then advertise (preferably on this website) and thus become a source of interest to recruit our readership and membership. "

- Of course we need this. We also need companies to be more honest about specs of their products and tell us more openly what is behind marketing. This is not always the case and some vendors bring self-inflicted harm upon themselves because they do not communicate openly with the public, unless put under pressure.

"We all need a healthy competitive industry. We all need gene’s website."

- Of course we do. We need people who have courage to ask more difficult questions. The only way to keep the industry competitive is to hold it accountable for they do. If nobody asks uncomfortable questions, complacency and mediocrity could crop up. The peculiar position Gene finds himself in is when to ask those questions and how uncomfortable would it be for companies to reply in public. Being a promoter of the industry and reviewer at the same time inevitably brings conflicting roles and situations. Can you slap a hand that feeds you and when you want to? How hard can you slap it? Whether those two roles could be done properly jointly is a matter of debate. This is probably what @clone1008 had on his mind in his reply, but I developed it here.

Seeing what was happening last and this year with AVRs across the board, he desperately wanted to promote big time new gen of Yamaha's AVRs, and he now knows in his heart that he cannot do it, to preserve integrity. It's not an easy position to be in.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha RX-A8A beta tester diary.
Because I have a receiver to compare with, I found one thing on my Yamaha RX-A8A which sounded really bad compared with the V6A: the DSP. In my system it introduced some artefacts on lower quality signals like the TV and some PCM but also on the higher quality signals like Atmos in a specific frequency range, especially on voices. It was driving me nuts to hear a parasite signal on the voices like the sound a dirty pickup needle is making when playing something. It was present but in a lower key and not always on straight too. I did not have the same noise using the DSP in the V6A maybe because is using NeoCinema. But the scratching sound on voices was is more pronounced when upmixing stereo into surround.
Today I think I found the culprit. It is in the photo where the green arrows are. Standard value is 1. As soon as I reduced it to minimum the voices received clarity and depth. Unfortunately the AI is introducing those artefacts so I am keeping it off now. Drama is my favorite DSP.
1639263573291.png

Surround decoder does not introduce these types of artefacts but bleeds voices to the back channels and introduces other artefacts in the rear speakers.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The way you guys speculate as to why Gene hasnt published his report is halarious. You realize that you guys appear and act like a bunch of gossiping school girls. Gene has you guys wrapped around his fingers and you guys are bobbing up and down like a yoyo. Gene will publish when he's ready.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The way you guys speculate as to why Gene hasnt published his report is halarious. You realize that you guys appear and act like a bunch of gossiping school girls. Gene has you guys wrapped around his fingers and you guys are bobbing up and down like a yoyo. Gene will publish when he's ready.
Lmao!! Been trying to tell them that, but nooo, they go on and on about, Yamaha HDMI board issue or the A6A thing that even Gene stated probably won't be audible. Lol ( bobbing up and down) lol

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Really? :D
Check out the definition of the word 'forum'.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Gene stated probably won't be audible.
The Force is strong with you. There needs to be a balance in the Force. Every time you repeat "buy Yamaha" or "it's 50th, 100th, 150th day that my Yamaha works fully", :D someone need to remind of Gene's words "hot mess" too. It is what it is. May the Force be with you.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis