Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Have you guys seen this?

Come on Gene it's time to hear your review.
Great review. I totally agree about the fact the product is still in development but to me it’s exactly the point of this amp compared to others, like Tesla opposed to old manufacturers : it’s able to be updated, improved, not limited by the cpu, and it will improve way more than other competitors.
And he misses the point the the Yamaha will be the first one to be validated by HDMI consortium as the guidelines are currently established

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The last thing I want is a AVR to process the video signal.
You can run video through an AVR and NOT have the receiver do any processing at all. Just set the video out on your receiver to bypass. I've taken the HDMI from the Directv feed and plugged it into the TV and watched for a while, then took that same HDMI cable and plugged it into the AVR (Yamaha RX -A3060) there is absolutely no difference in PQ. This set-up works for some people.

When you plug your video source directly into the TV, you still have to get that audio back to your AVR, correct? The only two ways I know how to do that is to use ARC, which I don't particularly like to use, because you have to turn on HDMI control. Which I don't like for various reasons. Or use the Optical out on the TV, which I definitely don't want to use. So routing everything through your AVR makes sense for some people. I use the Scene buttons for quick access to video sources. Scene 2 for instance is DirectV, which is saved with the Sur Decode mode and all the other settings I like when I watch TV. The Oppo bluray player has it's own set of settings that I like when watching a movie. Again, one tap on Scene 1 and done, easy peezy. Long story short...it works great for a lot of people.

C

chapp

Audioholic
I have just viewed Andrew Robinson's review. As in the past I do not think he does a thorough review of the receiver's potential. He is quite limited to his testing and never go beyond 5.1 and uses those up firing speakers that Gene always makes fun of. I do agree with him on all the unfinished "promises" of Updates and so forth. However, we have to be honest here. He is absolutely correct on some of the findings of this A8A. Now, it's time to see what Gene will say.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Have you guys seen this?

Come on Gene it's time to hear your review.
Not sure whether Andrew has information directly from Yamaha but he is talking about the firmware release for all features not before Feb 2022...:eek:

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Not sure whether Andrew has information directly from Yamaha but he is talking about the firmware release for all features not before Feb 2022...:eek:
For all features advertised I would not be surprised. But I am almost sure that they will incrementally add features by multiple firmware updates. Maybe I have been b...s..ted by the marketing but to me Yamaha is selling this new lineup like something that will evolve and be updated for a longer period. It's a paradigm shift, not a "finished" product that will maybe receive one firmware update to fix things but a platform that will be improved by fixes and new features. This is what I bought.
On another topic, comparing the Onkyo RZ50 to the RX-A8A is pointless, they aren't handling the same number of channels so why then not comparing a stereo amp to this AVR... Or a mono amp saying it's way cheaper and provide a better sound on one single channel than the RX-A8A... But I get what the reviewer want to point at : a product that isn't "feature complete" is not something they can properly review and engage to give an objective rating as it's filled with "if the firmware..."

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Having done PCB board layouts, there are numerous reasons why you add layers to a PCB board, one of them being realestate. The more components you put on a board, the more layers are required. Each layer adds a significant cost to the board. Electrical traces dont generate noise but conduct it from a source.
I sent you a PM, did you get it?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah you’ve been getting jabs all day. You’re getting a nose bleed and bruises. :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am just enjoying the heck out of my HT room all day all night. Just loving my new toy - the Epson EB-PU1006W. :D
There you are, broski cheese slice! ;)
We just having a lil fun up in here. You got your hip boots on? Can get a little muddy up in here.:D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi fellas: Let's start discussing issues with the Aventage line once more as this thread started out to guide the ones who has it and to assist the ones who want to own it. Has anyone with an Aventage series, the new A4 to A8 experienced any new anomalies? Well, I noticed that while watching TV news few nights back the sound just went off. The "decoder off" was displayed. I rebooted the Sony TV, and it did nothing. Then I rebooted the A8 and left the TV off, too, then rebooted both. It began decoding after that, but I noticed that the delay to get the initial sound from the TV was longer than usual. That's right after the final "Click" on the AVR. Now 2 days later, it appears to be back to normal timing with the TV, however, last night while watching an Atmos movie "Old Guard" on Netflix, the decoder went off 2 times "Decoder off" message on display. I had to exit the movie and restart it for the sound decoder to begin decoding the signal once more. This was using the Apple TV 4K 2nd gen. I can attest that it is not anything to do with cables.
I would advise you all to keep playing different materials and format to see if any type of issues show up on these receivers. Do not just play one type of material but try out various sound sources and make sure all is up to snuff.
regards.
My RX-A4A is now over 30 days old, it stays on close to 24 hours a days. No issues, performance has been flawless. I do use, streaming Netflix, streaming Net Radio, 4K Sony Blu-ray player, CD music, Vinyl is played, and USB is used for music also. I do not game, so I have no PS5, XBox, or apple anything. I have used the Music Cast but not much, also over the air live TV used with ARC return. Again, absolutely no issues, lovely sound! I'll try not to brag, but my new Yamaha Adventage RX-A4A sounds better than any AVR I have ever owned!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You can run video through an AVR and NOT have the receiver do any processing at all. Just set the video out on your receiver to bypass. I've taken the HDMI from the Directv feed and plugged it into the TV and watched for a while, then took that same HDMI cable and plugged it into the AVR (Yamaha RX -A3060) there is absolutely no difference in PQ. This set-up works for some people.

When you plug your video source directly into the TV, you still have to get that audio back to your AVR, correct? The only two ways I know how to do that is to use ARC, which I don't particularly like to use, because you have to turn on HDMI control. Which I don't like for various reasons. Or use the Optical out on the TV, which I definitely don't want to use. So routing everything through your AVR makes sense for some people. I use the Scene buttons for quick access to video sources. Scene 2 for instance is DirectV, which is saved with the Sur Decode mode and all the other settings I like when I watch TV. The Oppo bluray player has it's own set of settings that I like when watching a movie. Again, one tap on Scene 1 and done, easy peezy. Long story short...it works great for a lot of people.
@little wing , See post, #2002, you don't Have to pass video through at All with Any AVR. My 4K player has Two HDMI outs.:D 1, for the audio #1 for Video/Audio. I run HDMI Audio out from my 4K player to AVR, and HDMI Video/Audio out from my 4K player to TV. The only time I use ARC is when I'm watching over the air, AKA antenna live TV. I don't use HDMI sync at all. I did use it for about the first two weeks had No issues with CEC. My Yamaha RX-A4A has absolutely no issues whatsoever. Just the best rich sound I have ever heard! Don't want to sound like I'm bragging, ;) My Yamaha Adventage RX-A4A sounds better than Any AVR I have ever owned!! Wow! Yeah that's it, if I had to describe my YAMAHA Adventage RX-A4A with one crazy acronym of a word it would be, WOW! The sound quality is mind blowing I tell you! ;):D

S

svenyun

Audiophyte
So we know
1) Full HDMI update is not until Feb 22
2) The issues Gene found in measurements cannot be fixed by firmware, requires a hardware change in the next iteration of their platform, who knows when that will be. Anyone who already has one of these will have to buy the next gen receiver to fix those issues.

So I agree with Andrew, why would anyone pay more for less now? I've been bitten by "feature coming soon in update" before. I won't fall for that again. If I have to wait until Yamaha fixes this platform, I might as well get an Onkyo RZ70 or RZ90 with Dirac Live Bass Control, they should be available by then.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
@little wing , See post, #2002, you don't Have to pass video through at All with Any AVR. My 4K player has Two HDMI outs.:D 1, for the audio #1 for Video/Audio. I run HDMI Audio out from my 4K player to AVR, and HDMI Video/Audio out from my 4K player to TV. The only time I use ARC is when I'm watching over the air, AKA antenna live TV. I don't use HDMI sync at all. I did use it for about the first two weeks had No issues with CEC. My Yamaha RX-A4A has absolutely no issues whatsoever. Just the best rich sound I have ever heard! Don't want to sound like I'm bragging, ;) My Yamaha Adventage RX-A4A sounds better than Any AVR I have ever owned!! Wow! Yeah that's it, if I had to describe my YAMAHA Adventage RX-A4A with one crazy acronym of a word it would be, WOW! The sound quality is mind blowing I tell you! ;):D
Your situation could be different than his. I don't know what your 4K player is but most don't have 2 HDMI outs. Also what if he has different sources? For example I have Shield TV, Fire stick and a PS5. Your solution wouldn't even begin to work for me. So he either goes into the AVR with sources and "direct" out to TV via HDMI, or he goes into TV with sources and out to AVR via EARC/ARC or Toslink. ARC and Toslink are going to limit his surround options though.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
On another topic, comparing the Onkyo RZ50 to the RX-A8A is pointless, they aren't handling the same number of channels so why then not comparing a stereo amp to this AVR... Or a mono amp saying it's way cheaper and provide a better sound on one single channel than the RX-A8A...
Well, yes and no. Onkyo RZ50 has 11 channel of processing and 9 channel of amp. This makes it very comparable to A6A for example. And this actually is the first flagship of Onkyo available this year. I guess we expect RZ70 and RZ90 in 2022 which will have all the boxes ticked. And Onkyo provides all functionality ready and working out of the box. I think that's what Andrew's point was. And you get the Onkyo at the price of Yamaha A4A which cannot do more than 7.1 or 5.1.2.

As much as I want to defend Yamaha I see that he is actually right. We still have to wait and see how Yamaha's AVRs will compare to the competition once they have all features available.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Great review. I totally agree about the fact the product is still in development but to me it’s exactly the point of this amp compared to others, like Tesla opposed to old manufacturers : it’s able to be updated, improved, not limited by the cpu, and it will improve way more than other competitors.
And he misses the point the the Yamaha will be the first one to be validated by HDMI consortium as the guidelines are currently established
I consider that a subjective fluff piece video. In his video Andrew states compared to the other AVR,s he spoke of, of performance in sound quality (similar). Close in playing horseshoes or hand grenades doesn't get you the high quality sound over All the other's that Andrew mentioned that you get with Yamaha,s RX-A8A. You want that WOW! Factor in sound quality? Get the Yamaha Adventage RX-A8A. You want (Similar) in sound quality to Yamaha Adventage RX-A8A, than buy the Denon, or Marantz, or the Much Cheaper made Onkyo.:D But don't expect to get the sound quality you'll get with the Yamaha Adventage RX-A8A. Remember, 2nd place is the 1st loser in (similar) sound quality :p. Don't worry about the 4k 120, 10+ thingy Yamaha will make good on the firmware updates. Only the PS5, XBox, gamer's would complain about not having those ready now. But who really cares about them guys they don't count. Most of those dude's more than likely still live with their mom and dad at 30 years old! ;)

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Your situation could be different than his. I don't know what your 4K player is but most don't have 2 HDMI outs. Also what if he has different sources? For example I have Shield TV, Fire stick and a PS5. Your solution wouldn't even begin to work for me. So he either goes into the AVR with sources and "direct" out to TV via HDMI, or he goes into TV with sources and out to AVR via EARC/ARC or Toslink. ARC and Toslink are going to limit his surround options though.
Correct, all source plugged in to the 3060 and on HDMI cable out to the TV

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
I consider that a fluff piece video. In his video Andrew states compared to the other AVR,s he spoke of, of performance in sound quality (similar). Close in playing horseshoes or hand grenades doesn't get you the high quality sound over All the other's that Andrew mentioned that you get with Yamaha,s RX-A8A. You want that WOW! Factor in sound quality? Get the Yamaha Adventage RX-A8A. You want (Similar) in sound quality to Yamaha Adventage RX-A8A, than buy the Denon, or Marantz. But don't expect to get the sound quality you'll get with the Yamaha Adventage RX-A8A. Remember, 2nd place is the 1st loser in (similar) sound quality :p. Don't worry about the 4k 120, 10+ thingy Yamaha will make good on the firmware updates. Only the PS5, XBox, gamer's would complain about not having those ready now. But who really cares about them guys they don't count. Most of those dude's more than likely still live with their mom and dad at 30 years old! ;)
The more I read about this HDMI 2.1 @ 120 issue the more I think that the hard core gamers who really demand it don't actually need any AVR. Most probably they will have some 3+ monitors installation and would not even care about the AVRs supporting this. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
So we know
1) Full HDMI update is not until Feb 22
2) The issues Gene found in measurements cannot be fixed by firmware, requires a hardware change in the next iteration of their platform, who knows when that will be. Anyone who already has one of these will have to buy the next gen receiver to fix those issues.

So I agree with Andrew, why would anyone pay more for less now? I've been bitten by "feature coming soon in update" before. I won't fall for that again. If I have to wait until Yamaha fixes this platform, I might as well get an Onkyo RZ70 or RZ90 with Dirac Live Bass Control, they should be available by then.
Because who would want (similar) in sound quality, than Yamaha,s Adventage RX-A8A? If you want (Similar) in sound quality? then by all means buy Denon, Marantz or the much Cheaper Onkyo. But remember 2nd place only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Not in (similar) sound quality. Here's the thing, This Is a Yamaha thread, you guys keep coming here on a Yamaha Thread pushing Onkyo, Denon, Marantz. So with that said, expect a little snowball fight. Lol. :cool:

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I never said you HAD to pass through video anywhere in my post. I said that it works well for some setups. So glad you are enjoying your new Aventage receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis