Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Comparison I am mentioning is 5.x.4 (4 height speakers) vs 7.x.2 (only 2 front height speakers).
Yes I know.

I am saying I don't think there is that much difference between 5.1 vs 7.1. Very little difference but maybe some movies take more advantage

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
What extender are you using?
a 100 feet long FiberCommand all in one cable (CAT 7 ethernet, and optical hdmi 2.1 48Gbps)
Not really happy about this product that costs more than 600 CAD... it's working but not really 100% of the time, I have signal losses.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like a ground loop issue.
I two things :
- using same power outlet (PC, subwoofer and AVR) and no hdmi extender : no humming :)
- using same power outlet (PC, subwoofer and AVR) WITH hdmi extender : humming :mad:
- using different power outlet and no hdmi extender : humming :mad:

So the humming comes from a ground issue (my AVR and subs have their dedicated ground isolated outlet, but the PC isn't on the same outlet).
And the extender may act like an antenna and grab some noise.

Both using different power outlets and using the extender are enough to create some noise. I will unplug this hdmi when not specifically playing/using the PC on the AVR

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I two things :
- using same power outlet (PC, subwoofer and AVR) and no hdmi extender : no humming :)
- using same power outlet (PC, subwoofer and AVR) WITH hdmi extender : humming :mad:
- using different power outlet and no hdmi extender : humming :mad:

So the humming comes from a ground issue (my AVR and subs have their dedicated ground isolated outlet, but the PC isn't on the same outlet).
And the extender may act like an antenna and grab some noise.

Both using different power outlets and using the extender are enough to create some noise. I will unplug this hdmi when not specifically playing/using the PC on the AVR
Get a power line cleaner! Furman is good. I love mine and made a HUGE difference! I love it. Probably one of the biggest audible changes my system made

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Get a power line cleaner! Furman is good. I love mine and made a HUGE difference! I love it. Probably one of the biggest audible changes my system made
Something I am a bit disappointed of is I had read you need clean power/separated power outlet/isolated ground for power amps, not for digital input devices. And now I have some noise that comes from digital device/hdmi.
I don't think that any power cleaner can do anything with the hdmi extender antenna effect. The FiberCommand was supposedly shielded. Obviously it isn't.
I forgot to mention that I have the noise with PC switched OFF, power supply switch on OFF. It's just by plugging the PC I have some noise.

Edit : "I have ridden" -> "I have read", thinking too much about my next mountain bike I think.

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
The Firmware for 4K120hz/HDR10+ has been delayed due to pending test spec in conjunction with delayed release of the model to market... The information we have points to a January timeframe.

For AURO-3D, once again delayed 2-3 weeks form the original November 25th date.

FROM YAMAHA

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
The Firmware for 4K120hz/HDR10+ has been delayed due to pending test spec in conjunction with delayed release of the model to market... The information we have points to a January timeframe.

FROM YAMAHA
Where have you found this information?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Something I am a bit disappointed of is I had read you need clean power/separated power outlet/isolated ground for power amps, not for digital input devices. And now I have some noise that comes from digital device/hdmi.
I don't think that any power cleaner can do anything with the hdmi extender antenna effect. The FiberCommand was supposedly shielded. Obviously it isn't.
I forgot to mention that I have the noise with PC switched OFF, power supply switch on OFF. It's just by plugging the PC I have some noise.

Edit : "I have ridden" -> "I have read", thinking too much about my next mountain bike I think.
Maybe I completely missed it in a prior post, but is there a specific reason the PC is plugged directly into your receiver? The reason I ask is, I have a PC on the second floor of my house that has all my music stored, in mostly WAV format but some Flac files as well. I use the Jriver music server on my PC. My Yamaha 3060 is plugged directly to the router with a Cat6 on the first floor. So both the PC and receiver are connected to the same network and it works flawless with great sound. Again, apologies if I missed something..

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic

FROM YAMAHA
Yamaha support said "very soon" in my email today but no release date available.*shrug* Weird that they are saying test spec if they released it for the lower tier models.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe I completely missed it in a prior post, but is there a specific reason the PC is plugged directly into your receiver? The reason I ask is, I have a PC on the second floor of my house that has all my music stored, in mostly WAV format but some Flac files as well. I use the Jriver music server on my PC. My Yamaha 3060 is plugged directly to the router with a Cat6 on the first floor. So both the PC and receiver are connected to the same network and it works flawless with great sound. Again, apologies if I missed something..
Only thing I could think of is that he's using the PC as an HTPC, so video is involved as well.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
If I plug the PC into the TV then I use eARC I have almost half a second audio delay. I don't have audio delay/lag when the signal reach the AVR first. (t's not for music, the TV is my fourth screen when I work/play.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If I plug the PC into the TV then I use eARC I have almost half a second audio delay. I don't have audio delay/lag when the signal reach the AVR first. (t's not for music, the TV is my fourth screen when I work/play.
Sorry if you're having to repeat yourself, but I want to help and there are a lot of pages in this thread, and I don't really know the issue other than this.

I saw that you also got an HDMI optical extender, so I'm going to assume you have quite the run from your PC to your AVR/TV.

Are you in the HDMI 2.1 camp trying to get VRR and all that from your PC? Can't think of another reason to use eARC.

Again, sorry if you have to repeat things, just want to see if I can offer another perspective.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
All AVR vendors could have come together and ask HDMI Forum last year, when first repeater 2.1 chips for receivers were available, to prepare testing certification protocol for all upcoming AVR devices. They did not act in unity. Each vendor acted on their own and Sound United and Yamaha competed over first gen of buggy chips. We saw last year how this approach resulted in fiasco, evidence of which are the ugly adapter box for Denons and free board exchange on lower tier Yamaha models.

Other vendors then released AVRs with second gen chips (multi 40 Gbps ports) without waiting for certification protocol from HDMI Forum. Those AVRs from SU, Onkyo and high-end AV processors work, although they are not officially certified for HDMI 2.1. Yamaha finally decided to wait for the certification process, as they do not want to ger burnt again. Delay is good, but next gen AVRs all need to certified to avoid unexpected bugs again.

D

Dezed

Enthusiast
what TV do you have? A half second audio delay? I haven’t seen that high a delay through earc on other devices (Xbox series x and ps5). On LG tvs if you set the audio settings to passthrough it largely eliminates the delay.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another reason ARC sucks.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Have you tried using the lip sync adjustment? On the 3060 it's in the Options menu. Not sure where it you be on the A8A.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Sorry if you're having to repeat yourself, but I want to help and there are a lot of pages in this thread, and I don't really know the issue other than this.

I saw that you also got an HDMI optical extender, so I'm going to assume you have quite the run from your PC to your AVR/TV.

Are you in the HDMI 2.1 camp trying to get VRR and all that from your PC? Can't think of another reason to use eARC.

Again, sorry if you have to repeat things, just want to see if I can offer another perspective.
No problem, I understand with all my posts it's not always easy to follow ;)
Even before thinking about getting back to home theater I struggled with having hdmi 2.1 working from my PC to my Samsung QN90A. I installed a FiberCommand 100 feet hdmi 2.1 extender (it was a good training before wiring speakers). I tried to get a clean install with pc -> hdmi cable -> wall outlet -> extender -> wall outlet -> hdmi cable -> TV but I never managed to get 4k hdr 120Hz with VRR working. I had to remove the hdmi cable and wall outlet between the pc and the extender to get something that works (I mean the extender is plugged into the PC graphic card).

I then installed my AVR, and tried windows Dolby Atmos games. At first I was happy, Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Ori and the Will of the Wisps were propertly outputing Dolby Atmos by my RX-A8A and were sounding great... but with 400ms audio lag. So I plugged the PC to the AVR (losing VRR and 120Hz until the firmware update will maybe solve that) to see if the audio delay would be the same. The audio is not there anymore when doing this BUT my RX-A8A only receives Dolby Atmos DD+ (instead of PCM with most of the other Atmos sources) when playing Atmos video, and Games are now outputing a 7.1 audio stream which I suppose is a classic Dolby Digital bitstream. I contacted Dolby through the Dolby Access app and they were saying they were aware of this issue.

So here I am right now. I have a humming issue with my hdmi extender, and I can't use dolby atmos in games (Dolby responsability) nor use 4k HDR 120hz (Yamaha responsability).

I will be patient. Because otherwise the sound quality is way above what I was expecting for stereo music or movies.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Have you tried using the lip sync adjustment? On the 3060 it's in the Options menu. Not sure where it you be on the A8A.
Someone was suggesting that when plugging the PC to the TV and then using eARC to play sound the TV was actually converting the bitstream into PCM introducing some lag. It totally could be that. I tried to change audio output mode to try to prevent this hypothetical behavior but as soon as I change any option from auto to something else, I am losing the Atmos.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
All AVR vendors could have come together and ask HDMI Forum last year, when first repeater 2.1 chips for receivers were available, to prepare testing certification protocol for all upcoming AVR devices. They did not act in unity. Each vendor acted on their own and Sound United and Yamaha competed over first gen of buggy chips. We saw last year how this approach resulted in fiasco, evidence of which are the ugly adapter box for Denons and free board exchange on lower tier Yamaha models.

Other vendors then released AVRs with second gen chips (multi 40 Gbps ports) without waiting for certification protocol from HDMI Forum. Those AVRs from SU, Onkyo and high-end AV processors work, although they are not officially certified for HDMI 2.1. Yamaha finally decided to wait for the certification process, as they do not want to ger burnt again. Delay is good, but next gen AVRs all need to certified to avoid unexpected bugs again.
I emailed them and I just copied to pasted what they said to me.

Every time I ask I get a later and later date. I out my Xbox series x back in the back so it can go under the tree for my boys for Xmas! So I can wait lol, not much longer lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis