Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
"I believe" is just a phrase. If I had said "I think", you could have replied "It's your opinion". If I had said "I suspect", you could have replied "it's conspiracy", etc. It's useless ping-pong. I'd suggest to you to open up with more serious analysis so that we could exchange thoughts on what is actually happening and how to interpret news from initial user testing on one unit before bigger players go with official publications.

It's not about my or your beliefs. You have not actually explained what it is exactly that you disagreed with. I simply compared current news with what we heard last year about Denon. It might lead to more serious developments, it might not. It depends on snow-ball effect and new information coming in from users and tech outlets testing the gear. I am sure Gene feels uncomfortable to have to publish, yet again, that new AVRs do not work properly, as some users are starting to discover that too.

What matters here is that major tech oulets are tired of reporting about constant bugs new generation of AV machines face. They have been writing about it since October 2020 in multiple publications and challening vendors to come up with clear statements, explanations of issues and roadmap for consumers. It's embarrassing for major players in the industry to push half-baked devices into the market and hope that consumers who pay thousands would report issues for them to iron out, instead of doing extensive in-house testing themselves. Consumers and reviewers want those devices to finally start working properly, fully and reliably.

We need more information and more clarity. Issues might be related to Dobly itself, TV, AVR or all together. All we know is that several features and configurations do not work properly on this new AVR. It's a test case and there will be more to come.

To illustrate how sluggish vendors can be with putting information out there, I will say this. It took Yamaha one full year to admit publicly a simple piece of spec, namely that 2020 models have 24 Gbps ports, after sustained preessure from AV community. Ridiculous. It's an important piece of information for users looking for specific gaming configurations and, as we all know, new AVRs have been heavily and aggressively marketed towards that segment of the market. Official Yamaha slogan on their website reads: "Movies and games like never before". Games as bad like never before?

I actually truly hope that bleak findings in testing of this unit are specific to it, so that nothing more substantial developes. Becasue if it does, we are going to have again thousands of unhappy users and outcry, just like last year.
I was talking about my belief that there are those out there in any forum with agendas to steer people away from certain products. But thanks for the loooooong explanation of something different.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yes it's with PC directly connected to AVR, with Atmos official games audio settings set to spatial (to match the Atmos for home theater in the audio out panel). I don't know how/where to change PC output for bitstream/PCM.
Have you read anything about potential bugs on Atmos for home theatre application? Does PCM/Bitstream setting exist within game's audio settings?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
OMG, AppleMusic app on AppleTV isn’t playing lossless by default. Just activated lossless 48khz. This is CRAZY !
Edit: lossless and flat EQ is a step more detailed. I can understand people putting hundreds of thousands of dollars in sound system. Digging to improve everything is quite addictive

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I was talking about my belief that there are those out there in any forum with agendas to steer people away from certain products. But thanks for the loooooong explanation of something different.
I did post that the guy from ASR forum simply posted a translation from foreign website, where folks published results from testing this unit. It's in the post 199. Link was provided.

There are always people on fora with agenda. That's why we are here to try to think, exchange thoughts and establish facts.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Have you read anything about potential bugs on Atmos for home theatre application? Does PCM/Bitstream setting exist within game's audio settings?
I have never seen such an option. Will speak with my audio engineer tomorrow. He worked with Microsoft and Dolby to integrate Atmos in the Assassin’s Creed. He will be aware of this kind of settings.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I have never seen such an option. Will speak with my audio engineer tomorrow. He worked with Microsoft and Dolby to integrate Atmos in the Assassin’s Creed. He will be aware of this kind of settings.
Yes. Usually software players like PowerDVD or other media app have those two options in audio menu. I do not know about games' audio menus.

D

Dezed

Enthusiast
Yes. Usually software players like PowerDVD or other media app have those two options in audio menu. I do not know about games' audio menus.
Games do not have these settings. They rely on windows to select the appropriate spatial audio provider, as opposed to internally encoding a Dolby truehd bitstream

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
My daughters just came in while their favorite music was playing. No need to say they immediately noticed that the sound was amazing.

edit: I wasn’t ready for some Korean pop :p :D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My daughters just came in while their favorite music was playing. No need to say they immediately noticed that the sound was amazing.

edit: I wasn’t ready for some Korean pop :p :D
Awesome! Man your blessed to have daughters! Cherish the time you have with them. If anything your sharing your hobby with then is money well spent, priceless in my book.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I can see now after reading you guys post on gaming, PC use with these new line of AVR's on just how much that Yamaha alone better make good on these new Adventage line. I don't use any of the settings you guys are digging into so I can not say my A4A isn't, cause I have nothing in use, PS5 or XBox. I just got off the phone with my oldest Son, he's a gamer PS5, PC Alienware computer. Told him about the issues Yamaha is having, He goes doesn't surprise me. In his own words he goes I bet it's a mess. Lol. I'm following you guy's on this now hopefully I can pickup some knowledge from you guys. I'll admit some of it's over my pay grade.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry it's not related to your post
I just wanna know anyone can help me regarding this

Sent from my TECNO KC2 using Tapatalk
Never heard of them, are they located in the USA? Maybe hit up @AVR Enthu he may know of them or hit up @OldAndSlowDev he is a coder I believe. Them two seem to know about coding and website Host.

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
OMG, AppleMusic app on AppleTV isn’t playing lossless by default. Just activated lossless 48khz. This is CRAZY !
Edit: lossless and flat EQ is a step more detailed. I can understand people putting hundreds of thousands of dollars in sound system. Digging to improve everything is quite addictive
Nice lossless! This is why we love this! ☺

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I can see now after reading you guys post on gaming, PC use with these new line of AVR's on just how much that Yamaha alone better make good on these new Adventage line. I don't use any of the settings you guys are digging into so I can not say my A4A isn't, cause I have nothing in use, PS5 or XBox. I just got off the phone with my oldest Son, he's a gamer PS5, PC Alienware computer. Told him about the issues Yamaha is having, He goes doesn't surprise me. In his own words he goes I bet it's a mess. Lol. I'm following you guy's on this now hopefully I can pickup some knowledge from you guys. I'll admit some of it's over my pay grade.
I am starting with a weak knowledge about modern avr. Just think about this : nobody born with knowing anything, we all just learn everything. Of course there are some knowledge harder to understand, and we all get our limits when it’s about understanding quantum physics or windows 11. But at the end, if someone impress you, remember he/she had to learn what he/she knows. And you are able to learn. Learning is the best gift we can offer to ourselves.

I love to learn. But some days I would like AVR to be simple to use ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
While I think I am quite competent when it’s about game programming, I have no idea what this thing is about :)
I believe it's a Host website? where one would need to use their services like GoDabby, I think? Don't know why OP just didn't shoot that site a email asking those questions. I mean asking if anyone on AH a Audio/Video forum would know, when just shooting a email to the site would get a better response as to what they want to use their platform for.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
I wanna ask something
I heard HostPapa offering cyber Monday sale
More than 70% off on hosting
Can I use their services ?
Are they trusted?

Sent from my TECNO KC2 using Tapatalk
Guys be very cautious with this poster and the link provided. Brand new user and the only 3 posts are in this thread and off topic.

Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
Tonight I was playing around with straight vs surround decoder for 5.1 audio. Thought the surround decoder sounded slightly fuller, but I’m not sure. Anyone have any comments?

Been watching Netflix a lot this week—trying to get though all 10 episodes of Cowboy Bebop—but the audio couldn’t compete with the Blu-ray of Godzilla (2014). Oh, man. I wish more films had such a rich sound mix as that one.

Tried Airplay as well. The A8A sounds great to my ears. Rich and full sound. I looks like a piece of art and has worked flawlessly thus far. I’m beginning to appreciate it more and more each day.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Tonight I was playing around with straight vs surround decoder for 5.1 audio. Thought the surround decoder sounded slightly fuller, but I’m not sure. Anyone have any comments?

Been watching Netflix a lot this week—trying to get though all 10 episodes of Cowboy Bebop—but the audio couldn’t compete with the Blu-ray of Godzilla (2014). Oh, man. I wish more films had such a rich sound mix as that one.

Tried Airplay as well. The A8A sounds great to my ears. Rich and full sound. I looks like a piece of art and has worked flawlessly thus far. I’m beginning to appreciate it more and more each day.
I'm enjoying the Low Frequency setting use. Also the AI thing I find it smooths out the whole sound track, like umm the background music or say like birds chirping raindrops kind of thing little more prominent if that's a thing. It isn't a night or day kind of thing. AI really helps out with older sound tracks where like on some the center channel mix is too prominent with explosions coming from the center channel which I'm not a big fan of. Some of those sound engineers I find want the big explosions to come from the center channel which for me can be over done to much. DTS-X takes care of that also, steers the sound precisely where it should be. A question to you guys who are gurus with this RC thing. Is there anything out there like say a app that can monitor the surround track as it is in the process with a graft bar kind of thing of all channels showing just how much mix each channel is really getting in real time?

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Guys be very cautious with this poster and the link provided. Brand new user and the only 3 posts are in this thread and off topic.
Thought the same, AH does get hit with spammers, bots. I did check out that site it seems to be a web host site, but like about half hour later I got hit with a text from a email address, with saying, you have been selected to receive gifts just follow the link and fill out your name, address of course the text asked for other info as well. Which I blocked it and reported it. I have a security monitoring app with AT&T where you can report scammers, the service says they will black list and investigate.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes DTS-X Master is working perfectly. It’s a Dolby Access app bug. I am currently trying to help Dolby to resolve this issue.
You believe Dolby may pay you like say, when someone finds a bug, back door on Microsoft and they get like 10k for finding the issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis