When will there be a true 4k UHD projector for under $3,500?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have a BenQ 1080p projector. Its actually the HT2050
Geez, yeah, like your first post in this thread mentions that. I lose track.

I would definitely just hang out and wait if you can resist temptation. If you REALLY want true 4K, then this years JVCs must be seen. The shootout between the Sonys and the JVCs will be worth waiting for. Then you get into what we will see happen in the next couple of years. The HT2050 is a solid model and if you are using it regularly, should be quite enjoyable. I had my W1070 for the past 6 years+ and really enjoyed it, but couldn't pass up on a JVC DLA590 at a great price. I will now wish I had gotten the DLA790 instead. Sigh.

Save for what you specifically want and if you really enjoy front projection, you will enjoy it no matter what.

The black level jump from the W1070 to the DLA590 is pretty astronomical. I still have to play with 4K content and HDR, which I haven't done as of yet.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Yeah the HT2050 has a great picture. But i want a fantastic picture! ;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Keep saving your pennies. Not sure if you've posted photos of the room, but the more you can improve the room, the more better your image will be.

Nothing improves the quality of any projected image like $20 in black paint. :)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
My ceiling is black and my walls are dark brown. I have a 12' x 15' jet black throw rug that covers the whole front of the room where any carpet was. My entertainment center is dark brown as well. And my couch is dark gray. I think the room is pretty well taken care of. The room is 22' x 12' x 8'.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Oh and the door that is the only entrance to theater room is painted dark brown as well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think the debate between JVC X790 vs. NX5 is a tough one.

On one hand, the X790 has among the best Contrast/Black levels.

OTOH, the NX5 is a true Native 4K projector.
I think that the real question is what portion of bt.2020 can each re-create. HDR is neat, but I'm more looking for accurate color reproduction. Resolution is neat too, but not a big deal to me. My 1080p Mitsubishi HC4000 still looks awesome...until you watch something that shows how bad it's black levels are. For the most part it's enjoyable, but I need something better. JVC is #1 on the list right now. Just need to find the right deal...and get wife approval since I don't "need" a new projector.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My 1080p Mitsubishi HC4000 still looks awesome...until you watch something that shows how bad it's black levels are. For the most part it's enjoyable, but I need something better. JVC is #1 on the list right now. Just need to find the right deal...and get wife approval since I don't "need" a new projector.
Oh my wife won’t know anything about any JVC NX5 sitting up there in the dark. :eek::D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that the real question is what portion of bt.2020 can each re-create. HDR is neat, but I'm more looking for accurate color reproduction.
Another factor is the eShift buzzing sound I've heard about in the X790 and other eShifters.

Some people say they can't really hear the buzzing from the distance they sit.

Some people say the buzzing sound bothers them.

So there is a good chance I won't hear anything, but I just don't want to take that chance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Resolution is neat too, but not a big deal to me.
Another factor is the current state of TV resolution.

Today it seems like everyone has a 4K TV.

As @Phase 2 mentioned, it seems like some manufacturers are actually no longer making 1080p TV.

But 4K is merely a single "step up" from 1080p. So it doesn't seem so outdated.

But what happens when everyone has an 8K TV in a few years? Then 1080p will really seem outdated.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
That's the thing about "resolution" when 4K came out there wasn't much if any 4K content out. Plus in order to enjoy actual 4K content you must be seated in the Sweet spot in order for differential from 1080p,i. So with that said I now have a 4K HDTV I can absolutely say You must be sitting in the Sweet spot in order to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K. Same can be said about 1080p, over 720p,i my point is many believe resolution isn't as important as to an accurate color reproduction. An analogy comparison, I like looking at Katy Perry or Taylor Swift cause they are easy on the eyes. But would I buy their music? Nope for me their music sucks if you can call what they put out music. Lol. I only used that analogy cause I'm watching the morning News and the media machine loves pumping out the likes of sh$t for music by the likes of Katy Perry, Taylor Swift God forbid Beyonce who really sucks the big one. Lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's the thing about "resolution" when 4K came out there wasn't much if any 4K content out. Plus in order to enjoy actual 4K content you must be seated in the Sweet spot in order for differential from 1080p,i. So with that said I now have a 4K HDTV I can absolutely say You must be sitting in the Sweet spot in order to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K. Same can be said about 1080p, over 720p,i my point is many believe resolution isn't as important as to an accurate color reproduction. An analogy comparison, I like looking at Katy Perry or Taylor Swift cause they are easy on the eyes. But would I buy their music? Nope for me their music sucks if you can call what they put out music. Lol. I only used that analogy cause I'm watching the morning News and the media machine loves pumping out the likes of sh$t for music by the likes of Katy Perry, Taylor Swift God forbid Beyonce who really sucks the big one. Lol
You know the real reason I'm upgrading to 4K JVC - to live LARGE. Haha. :D

But like @Danzilla31 says, a great Sound system deserves a great Video system. :D

Gotta have that balance. ;)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief

But like @Danzilla31 says, a great Sound system deserves a great Video system. :D

Oh hell yeah, a true home theater room should have the biggest screen possible!! The whole point of going to a movie theater is the Big screen!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

In the circle of life guys it's all about balance
I think.....I think..... I just got a little emotional there guys! :eek:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Lol. Yup. Not only that, I'm willing to bet the 4k JVC is much better than what either of us have anyway. Nothing wrong with upgrades. Granted, I'm willing to bet yor w6000 runs circles around my HC4000

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol. Yup. Not only that, I'm willing to bet the 4k JVC is much better than what either of us have anyway. Nothing wrong with upgrades. Granted, I'm willing to bet yor w6000 runs circles around my HC4000
Here's the really sad thing. I actually have TWO BenQ W6000!

Don't even ask why I have 2 of them. It was probably 9 or 10 years ago. :D

But I clearly don't need another PJ.

But yeah, I am confident the JVC NX5 is better than both of these old PJ's. :D

I

i_luv_pitza

Enthusiast
Home theater with a 10ft viewing distance would benefit from a 4k projector, right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis