What is your favourite release?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I almost forgot; this finally arrived. Very good sound. At first I didn't understand what he meant by Tribute To The Lady. This is very joyful listening.
Yes it is. I have various CD's, box sets by Sam over the years but this is hands down the best sounding remaster of the Keen years.

The scuttlebutt is that ABKCO is putting out a 7 to 10 CD box set of his RCA recordings in the next year or two.

I've got my credit card ready. :D

Sam Cooke - Good News

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If anyone's still wondering, Ludwig's remaster of Straits studio albums got a CD release. New personal favourite.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yes it is. I have various CD's, box sets by Sam over the years but this is hands down the best sounding remaster of the Keen years.

The scuttlebutt is that ABKCO is putting out a 7 to 10 CD box set of his RCA recordings in the next year or two.

I've got my credit card ready. :D

Sam Cooke - Good News
Man I miss my Cooke records/CDs. When is the 10 cd box coming??? Which Keen set you referring to? I probably had it.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Man I miss my Cooke records/CDs. When is the 10 cd box coming??? Which Keen set you referring to? I probably had it.
Not sure.

It's Sam's 90th birthday this year, January 22nd, and my understanding is that a massive box set is coming from his RCA days, after this release in January, which I quickly purchased.

Unbelievably god SQ (sound quality). I'm assuming we'll see it soon, probably for the Christmas holidays. Keeping my fingers crossed.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure.

It's Sam's 90th birthday this year, January 22nd, and my understanding is that a massive box set is coming from his RCA days, after this release in January, which I quickly purchased.

Unbelievably god SQ (sound quality). I'm assuming we'll see it soon, probably for the Christmas holidays. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Keen is sold out. How much did it go for? I had one of the disc in that set. That RCA is exciting. I had the 4 disc box set. Good thing I had ripped that set on my player.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Keen is sold out. How much did it go for? I had one of the disc in that set. That RCA is exciting. I had the 4 disc box set. Good thing I had ripped that set on my player.
Really?

It took me about a month to get the Keen box set from Amazonia in January. Shipped out of Australia. This pandemic has really screwed everything up.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I payed $40 bucks back then, seems like a bargain now, considering it's not available right now. BTW, great packaging, etc.

Posted in my collection.

sam cooke box set.jpg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Funny thing. This album has some songs with vocal almost exclusively in the left channel. It's really no fun to listen to it that way. I did check all my cables before i wrote this.
1603131820004.jpeg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This on the other hand... Such endless joy to listen to (but I really love Dinah's voice):
1603133468841.jpeg

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Funny thing. This album has some songs with vocal almost exclusively in the left channel. It's really no fun to listen to it that way. I did check all my cables before i wrote this.
View attachment 40805
Possibly defective CD? I've never had that happen.

Highly recommend the Chess/Universal 1997 - Her Best (The Chess 50th Anniversary Collection), the SQ is spot on.
https://www.discogs.com/Etta-James-Her-Best/release/6532885

For a more complete compilation I can also recommend the 3-CD 2013 The Anthology by the Not Now Music label.
https://www.discogs.com/Etta-James-The-Anthology/release/4476751

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Possibly defective CD? I've never had that happen.
Could be. But I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it on account of this.

I'll see if I can find the ones you suggested. In the meantime, I have an older, not remastered CD and the vocals on those songs are not all in one channel.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm hunting for this next:
1605553433495.jpeg
Don't know much about it, I heard a couple of tunes on YouTube and I have downloaded a few just for a test. I have a lot of Piaf's albums and they all sound like wax cylinder or Victrola. Just horrible. But this remaster is very nice. I wonder who did it and is it an official release...

If anyone knows anything about it, please share.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Do not besmirch wax cylinder or Victrola. lovinthehd will put his teeth in and bite your head off.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis