What is your favourite release?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Reviewing.

Sonny Rollins'...the famed..."Tenor Madness"...1956...Hybrid Mono SACD

Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane, two of the most noted tenor saxophone players of the 50s and 60s with Rollins, now 89, only recently stopped performing. They were often pitted and compared even to this day. As some jazz historians and Mr. Rollins himself noted...they were actually friends and both played in Miles Davis' bands. Tenor Madness is the only known recording the two tenor sax heavyweights ever appeared on together.

Tenor Madness was recorded just a month or so before his most highly acclaimed album, "Saxophone Colssus", making 1956 a stellar year indeed for Sonny Rollins.

SQ...4/5...Analogue Productions has done an excellent job with the SACD layer, as they seem to have the magic touch, but they were given a great quality master tape by Van Gelder. Most of his '56 works were recorded at Van Gelder's NJ studio. The mono recording stays consistent with a fairly narrow sound stage, but all the instruments ring through in great detail...splitting hairs to determine a huge benefit to the SACD but there are some subtle differences. For the current price of $15, I would recommend spending the extra few bucks for the SACD.

Content...4/5. Coltrane appears only on the title track, which is an amazing 12 minute + display of the two tenors sharing the stage with Coltrane taking the lead on the solo and the chaser with Rollins offering a beautiful b-flat contrast to Coltrane's piercing attack. The rest of the band is the who's who of musicians from the era...Red Garland, piano....Paul Chambers, bass...Philly Joe Jones, drums.

Summary...This is a great piece of work. In my opinion it falls short of Saxophone Colossus as my favorite Rollins' work, but Tenor Madness will be a stable in my collection. I'm still pretty young into my acoustic jazz library, but with over 85 titles in tow...this is top 10 right now.

The SACD layer is a steal @ $15, but not a must...the album in general though is a must have for the Rollins fan and any serious jazz collector.

1586091192461.png

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Whoever likes BritPop, you might remember me complaining about most editions of Eurythmics. Most were very metallic, bright and fatiguing to listen to.

Now, finally, I can say that the complete songbook remstered series from Sony in 2018 are by far the superior rendition of their material. I've heard records and records on all types of medium, through a dozen of systems over the years and this is the first time I've heard it not being fatiguing and gnawing at your ears.

I highly recommend it, although I know Audioholics don't have many fans.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for your recommandation and contribution. Can I just ask does this mean that, for example, Bill Evans sounds the best to you on MGM vinyl record? Also what year is this edition?

Another thing, There are no info on Coltrane pic, who released it, which medium and when?
Mostly CDs I had the Elvis/Beatles on LP. Sound is great on all of them. Bill Evans wise it was his first time using electric piano and it's a beautiful album.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
Whoever likes BritPop, you might remember me complaining about most editions of Eurythmics. Most were very metallic, bright and fatiguing to listen to.
I know what you mean about the Eurythmics. I have a ? version of their greatest hits on CD and the only place I could stand to listen to it was in my car. However with car stereo's getting much better(my last 2 new cars actually sound pretty good) I do not think that is even an option any more!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I know what you mean about the Eurythmics. I have a ? version of their greatest hits on CD and the only place I could stand to listen to it was in my car. However with car stereo's getting much better(my last 2 new cars actually sound pretty good) I do not think that is even an option any more!
Exactly. I'm putting these 2018 editions in my collection and I'm really done with it. For me, they are that good.

A similar case to your "car-system", there's a band I like, a new band, really nice tunes, a lot of good ideas/melodies, but a very harsh sound, I have an EQ setting specially for that band. What can you do? I like the songs, just not the sound.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well, you were a bit slow this time. It would seem by all means this will do the trick:
View attachment 35140
It arrived and it is more than I expected. You can hear live audience, but it doesn't get in the way of music and even when played considerably loud it is very enjoyable.

If I find other volumes, I'll buy them. I recommend this. If you're looking for Goodman at least take this into consideration.

2channel lover

I've been working thru the pandemic as an "essential" business, which has been good considering so many have met with financial struggles.

Said that to say I thought I would've done far more listening reviews than I have, but I've got two new ones.

The first...Is probably the best selling compilation reggae album of all time...

Legends 30th Anniversary Edition....by Bob Marley. This edition included a 5.1 Blu ray and the CD (which I already had)...This review is for the Blu ray version.

Blu ray audio specs
  • 24/96 DTS-HD 5.1
  • 24/96 Dolby True HD 5.1
  • 24 PCM Stereo
The Marantz chose Dolby True HD 1st. I cycled thru the 3 options and agreed with the Marantz...Dolby and DTS were somewhat similar but the CC was slightly more pronounced with Dolby True HD, the bass was slightly stronger on the stereo option but not as open sounding as the 5.1 modes....so, Dolby True HD it was for this listening session.

SQ...5/5...reggae recordings are often a contrast of deep bass with high pitched percussion, guitar, etc. In the earlier days of listening to this in clubs, I got the sense that the DJ with a multi-track spreader, cranked up the treble so highs wouldn't drowned out yet, kept the thump of the bass.

This blu ray comes out of the box very well balanced, and easily the cleanest sounding Marley digital recording I've heard.

Surround Mix...4/5...the front 3 command the stage, the center takes on the primary vocals...and Marley comes thru clean and detailed. Instruments complete the sound stage left and right of the vocals. I never felt the urge to crank up the subs...bass had weight and detail. The rears get background vocals and accents on the music. Not as engaging as it could be I guess, but very well woven into the tracks...the openess and detail separate this from the PCM stereo version and the CD.

Content...4/5... with 16 tracks and most appear to be the album version except for #8 and #16. It missed a few of my favorites that were probably "B" sides to the masses I thought they were stronger enough to be on here so I went 4 there.

Summary...iirc this was $20...considering you get the Blu ray and the CD it was pretty good value imo. For a Marley or reggae fan, this is a no brainer buy. If you're just touching the surface of reggae, this gives you a good basis to start from.

1589635076255.png

2channel lover

Next up

Back to my bread and butter...Jazz, specifically acoustic Jazz

Miles Davis...Round About Midnight

Reviewed format...Limited edition...K2 HD CD....what the heck is that? 24bit/100Mhz CD

Originally recorded...1955, Columbia Records

Originally released...1957, Columbia Records

K2 HD remastering....Flair Victor Entertainment, and Sony Music pressed this CD in Japan

At the Newport Jazz Festival in 1955 Davis played and incredible rendition of "Round Midnight" a Thelonious
Monk ballad featuring the soon to be trademarked muted sound of his trumpet. Columbia records was interested in the young Davis with his new band that would feature a young unproven sax man in John Coltrane. Rounding out the band that would become known as the 1st Great Quintet was Red Garland, piano. Paul Chambers, bass, and Philly Joe Jones on drums.

Davis was still under-contract with Prestige Records, which recorded most of his earlier work, but he was allowed to record with Columbia under the condition the music would not be released until his contract with Prestige was over...thus the long delay from recording to release.

SQ...4/5...I've played this K2 HD CD at least 2 dz times...I've never owned this album in redbook format before, but this is a hybrid disc...for the purpose of this review I played back the CD layer on my computer setup (Jriver v23....Denon headphone amp/dac...DA300usb...hifiman 400i headphones). The CD is good imo, it has some slight distortion on some of the trumpet peaks that seemed to be smoothed out in the remastered 24/100 CD. I don't notice it at least. It's a mono recording which in of itself is very well done, but it lacks the soundstage width of a stereo recording.

Content...4.5/5...In an era of bop, and classic jazz...."Round Midnight", the title track sets the stage for the smooth jazz era and his all-time greatest album "Kind Of Blue". At the same time, the quintet revisits classics such as "Dear Old Stockholm", and bop favorites "Bye Bye Blackbird". The original recording gave us 6 tracks...the CD version added 4 bonus tracks.

Summary...this is the 1st album with John Coltrane and imo a must have for any Miles Davis collection. I have roughly 100 hi res titles in the acoustic Jazz genre now and 13 by the great trumpeter. I still claim Kind Of Blue as my favorite Miles Davis recording, and but without Round About Midnight, your collection is missing a gem. The K2 HD version is well worth it imo, but if it were not available...I would have no problem with the redbook.

round front cover.jpg

round back cover.jpg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@2channel lover another outstanding contribution. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I would also like to ask you for a very subjective estimation which is an integral part of this thread; would you say this is the best sounding rendition of this album you've heard? Is there any format or release you'd prefer to this one?

For example, there's a MoFi - mobile fidelity issue and these guys do some stuff properly. I remember Dark Side of the Moon being at the top of my choices. Have you listened to Round About Midnight by MoFi?

2channel lover

@2channel lover another outstanding contribution. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I would also like to ask you for a very subjective estimation which is an integral part of this thread; would you say this is the best sounding rendition of this album you've heard? Is there any format or release you'd prefer to this one?

For example, there's a MoFi - mobile fidelity issue and these guys do some stuff properly. I remember Dark Side of the Moon being at the top of my choices. Have you listened to Round About Midnight by MoFi?
My thoughts...I've heard the vinyl (years a go), the remastered CD, and this remastered K2 HD dic....the K2 release is the best digital release of this album I've heard. Edited to note why....this one, as did many of the older Davis recordings had some slight distortion of the high peaks...I don't heard that on this disc.

One major correction I need to make...this disc is in stereo, sound stage is somewhat narrow and not as dynamic as Kind Of Blue.

Mofi...no. To my knowledge they did a remastering of this album, but only produced an LP. I don't recall a disc from them on this album.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
A huuuge disapointment. And I know what you'll say; serves me well for buying vinyl. But it's not the case. Here, I'm talking only in terms of vinyl. My disapointment was in comparison to other records (from the same author).

1593508514324.png

Warner UK release.

I saw it new, not expensive, in celofane wraper and the only reason I gave in to the temptation is a little number called The Bell where Oldfield anounces an instrument before playing the main melody on it. So it's a great showcase song; you go one instrument at a time and listen how it sounds.

Something is wrong with this record, I'm telling you. It's like someone deducted two thirds of the sound. They must've put the lathe in the other room and just yelled what it needs to cut in. It's a second hand experience. Oldfield says bass guitar and you hear some plinkity plonk mids, no low end to speak of, and the surface noise and the crackling... Almost as bad as when you have volume knob loosing contact.

This is a botched job if I ever saw one.

I posted a comment about it on their fb profile, and, oh wonder, they completely ignored it.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I've been a Doors fan for a long period of time when I was much younger. I heard tapes, CD's, records, original releases and domestic releases. I never heard anything that sounds better than Analogue productions vinyl. However, I didn't hear SACD, hybrid and others. If anyone has this experience, please share.

Same goes for Jethro Tull. I've been a huge fan. I knew all there is to know about them. I had or heard all sorts of releases. Never have I heard anything better than what Steven Wilson did with their music.
The first album on DCC cd sounds pretty good.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just listened to Chesky 20th Anniversary on my office system (as that's all I have until the BMRs are finished at this house). Its a great collection that I've known over the years.

Their catalog is a favorite of mine going way back.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
A huuuge disapointment. And I know what you'll say; serves me well for buying vinyl.
You're really tempting fate with vinyl, especially with the major labels, where the manufacturing is farmed out all over the world with different QC (quality control).

Is MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) still in business? At one time they had an in-house facility to produce their own 180g vinyl.

Personally I think it's a fools errand messing with vinyl when various types of superior CD formats (SACD, SHM-CD, HDCD, etc.) are still readily available.

BTW, one of the better CD box sets of the Doors is the 2006 Perception box set, remastered 6-CD (HDCD)/ 6-DVD-A box sets.

Here's a link to the European release.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-Perception/master/100782

A friend sent me a promo sampler in MP3, which I found impressive.
https://tinyurl.com/y3y945wq

If these MP3 files are any indication, I imagine the CD's are just magnificent.

I'll leave this up for a day or two, to give you time to download and evaluate.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You're really tempting fate with vinyl, especially with the major labels, where the manufacturing is farmed out all over the world with different QC (quality control).

Is MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) still in business? At one time they had an in-house facility to produce their own 180g vinyl.

Personally I think it's a fools errand messing with vinyl when various types of superior CD formats (SACD, SHM-CD, HDCD, etc.) are still readily available.

BTW, one of the better CD box sets of the Doors is the 2006 Perception box set, remastered 6-CD (HDCD)/ 6-DVD-A box sets.

Here's a link to the European release.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-Perception/master/100782

A friend sent me a promo sampler in MP3, which I found impressive.
https://tinyurl.com/y3y945wq

If these MP3 files are any indication, I imagine the CD's are just magnificent.

I'll leave this up for a day or two, to give you time to download and evaluate.
Thank you man! Curious to see can Perception beat Analogue Productions.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is quite amazing. A beautiful rendition. Cello sound you can't get enough of. Selection that hits the nail on the head. But the sound, the sound...

Alisa Weilerstein - Bach Cello Suites, BWVV 1007-1012 (2020)
1596964849361.jpeg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis