What is your favourite release?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Dave Brubeck Take 5. Still my favorite. I heard a version of Take 5 on Jazz at the Pawnshop good recording the performance just ok.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Chick Corea...Rendezvous In New York

Reviewing...SACD...multi-channel layer, 2 ch layer

1582641779048.png

Overall...3 of 5

This is a 2 disc set, recorded at the Blue Note in 2003 NY, NY marking Corea's 60th anniversary in music. Several recording artist participated including Bobby McFerrin, Corea displays his master work on the piano and his trio in general were very good.

2 channel layer...4 of 5, it's a solid recording. The content is a mix of some wonderful collaborations of new material and some noted classics. Sound staging is precise, music comes thru clean and distortion free.

Multi-ch layer...3 of 5...switching to the multi-channel layer opens up and widens the sound stage. The downfall of the recording is the quad mix doesn't bring the wow factor. Mostly crowd applause, and the openness, dimensional effect of the sound stage. It's different, but imo not all that much better than the 2 ch mix.

I enjoy this sacd and I play it at least once a month, but you're better off buying the CD version if multi-ch was enticing you to consider this one.

Edited to note...just listed to cd2 again today...I stand by my comments about the rear channels not offering very much, but track 3 of 5 on cd2..."Concierto De Aranjuez/Spain" OMG!

13:59 mins...peaking in the spl meter @ 78/79 dB at 11' away...after consuming half of a 2 oz shot of Fortalez reposado...
I'm back tracking...this song alone makes the surround layer worth the price!!...just an incredible performance!!

Now, I've never played it quite this loud before and maybe that's what it took, because the subs so gently but firmly holding the low notes which you felt as if you were in the Blue Note...and the surround mix with the spaciousness places you in there at that volume...much more than the 2ch version does. The midbass on the Salks get a serious workout...I've never seen him live, but this was the best performance I've ever heard from Chick Corea. It's still not a great surround mix, but that one song made me upgrade to 3 of 5.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After mentioning Montreux recordings, I found two more blurays:

Legends - Live at Montreux 1997 - Eric Clapton, Steve Gadd, Marcus Miller, Joe Sample & David Sanborn. Bargain at $15. I got it yesterday afternoon and have played it three times :)

Neil Cowley - Live at Montreux 2012. Just put it on, so far so good! Never heard of these guys but for $8 I think I scored!

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Legends - Live at Montreux 1997 - Eric Clapton, Steve Gadd, Marcus Miller, Joe Sample & David Sanborn. Bargain at $15. I got it yesterday afternoon and have played it three times :)

Neil Crowley - Live at Montreux 2012. Just put it on, so far so good! Never heard of these guys but for $8 I think I scored!
Nice! I'm jealous. :)

2channel lover

Neil Crowley - Live at Montreux 2012. Just put it on, so far so good! Never heard of these guys but for $8 I think I scored!
I've been making a list...I'm up to 4 I think...5 with this one...(all of those artist I like on the '97 disc) maybe time to pull the trigger today!

Thx...LTHD...just picked up Miles '91, Legends '97 at Montreux...added Lynrd Skynrd…Southern Surroundings, and Sade Bring Me Home 2011 (this will get my wife up to the loft)...I held up on David Gilmour...Live @ Pompeii...next time.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

View attachment 34264

Overall...3 of 5

This is a 2 disc set, recorded at the Blue Note in 2003 NY, NY marking Corea's 60th anniversary in music. Several recording artist participated including Bobby McFerrin, Corea displays his master work on the piano and his trio in general were very good.

2 channel layer...4 of 5, it's a solid recording. The content is a mix of some wonderful collaborations of new material and some noted classics. Sound staging is precise, music comes thru clean and distortion free.

Multi-ch layer...3 of 5...switching to the multi-channel layer opens up and widens the sound stage. The downfall of the recording is the quad mix doesn't bring the wow factor. Mostly crowd applause, and the openness, dimensional effect of the sound stage. It's different, but imo not all that much better than the 2 ch mix.

I enjoy this sacd and I play it at least once a month, but you're better off buying the CD version if multi-ch was enticing you to consider this one.

Edited to note...just listed to cd2 again today...I stand by my comments about the rear channels not offering very much, but track 3 of 5 on cd2..."Concierto De Aranjuez/Spain" OMG!

13:59 mins...peaking in the spl meter @ 78/79 dB at 11' away...after consuming half of a 2 oz shot of Fortalez reposado...
I'm back tracking...this song alone makes the surround layer worth the price!!...just an incredible performance!!

Now, I've never played it quite this loud before and maybe that's what it took, because the subs so gently but firmly holding the low notes which you felt as if you were in the Blue Note...and the surround mix with the spaciousness places you in there at that volume...much more than the 2ch version does. The midbass on the Salks get a serious workout...I've never seen him live, but this was the best performance I've ever heard from Chick Corea. It's still not a great surround mix, but that one song made me upgrade to 3 of 5.
This is a contribution to my thread beyond what I ever expected! Thank you man!!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 34264

Overall...3 of 5

Thanks for the review!

I'd say that 3 out of 5 for the multi-channel layer is very generous of you. This is one (and only, I think) SACD I got that where I prefer the stereo layer over the multi-channel one for the simple reason that the front stage on some tracks collapses in my room. With that I mean is that he sings behind me. So this is part my speaker layout with surrounds too close to the back wall, but mostly a pretty bad multi-channel mix. That said, the SACD was produced in 2003....

2channel lover

Thanks for the review!

I'd say that 3 out of 5 for the multi-channel layer is very generous of you. This is one (and only, I think) SACD I got that where I prefer the stereo layer over the multi-channel one for the simple reason that the front stage on some tracks collapses in my room. With that I mean is that he sings behind me. So this is part my speaker layout with surrounds too close to the back wall, but mostly a pretty bad multi-channel mix. That said, the SACD was produced in 2003....
Fair...and to be honest, I had it as a 2/5 originally...as stated in the edited comments...Concierto De Aranjuez was that impactful...and the surround mix (even w/o much in the surround channels) is so much better than the ch on that one.

IDK if it's a bad surround mix, but it's certainly not a good one. In a trio, there's just not much content...the surround mix best work is placing you in the venue and from my experience you need to give it some volume to create that sensation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I'll stick to the 2ch recording of the Chick Corea Rendezvous in NY :) Thanks for the warnings!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
DVD-AUDIO anyone? No? Alright, no worries. Oh, don’t get up, I’ll see myself out. Loved the Getz/Gilberto SACD. Ok, bye.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DVD-AUDIO anyone? No? Alright, no worries. Oh, don’t get up, I’ll see myself out. Loved the Getz/Gilberto SACD. Ok, bye.
Never really encountered that format. I might have one....Getz/Gilberto is good on any media....

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
No, stay by all means. Just tell us do you have an example where you think DVD-AUDIO was supperior to other versions? That's what it's all about here - a top rendition of an album. It's when you want to say; not only should you hear it, but you should hear it on DVD-AUDIO.

2channel lover

I've got a couple of DVD A discs...Jimi Plays Berkeley I know is one...not sure how it sounds compared to the BR version...the newly released Axis Bold As Love on SACD is awesome. Waiting for Are You Experienced to come out.

Getz/Giberto is a classic...I have it on SACD as well.

2channel lover

Just noting.

I received my Blu ray order last week.

I played Miles @ Montreux '91 last night...SQ is better than Blue Note...They did say it was a tribute of sorts to Gil Evans, but I wondered why they left off so many of his hits from other albums...then it dawn on me why.

Great...really saddens you to learn that was his very last concert...he passed only a few months after.

SQ...I give this one a 5/5, excellent.

Performance...3/5...not the most powerful performance I've seen from Miles Davis, but considering his health it's understandable.

I really liked it....bargain for the price.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I started looking into DTS CD's years ago and then picked up some DVD-AUDIO's and SACD's. Most of the titles I have are the only versions I have of those albums for better or worse. There are a few that I put on when I want to crank it up. Some didn't think it was all that impressive, but I play the MLP 5.1 version of "Rumours" quite often. That format offers an alternate version of "Never Going Back Again" which I prefer to the one that was released on the original album. Queen's "The Game" and "A Night At The Opera" offer DTS 96/24 but I prefer MLP 5.1. If you don't have em', get em'! "Another One Bites The Dust" was made for this format. I was going through bins at Amoeba Music once when I came across Esteban's "Enter The Heart". I had never heard of the guy, but it was a DVD-AUDIO so I scooped it up. Again, I like the MLP over the DTS on this one and track 6 is the first one I go to and play at high volume. Silverline had a series of DVD music discs. I have the "Inside The Music:Classic Crooners" disc. Its menus contain a list of the other discs in the series and has a speaker placement and test section. Every song sounds great but it is the live version of Peggy Lee's "Fever" that is the real treat. If you turn it up and close your eyes, you would swear you were at the table right in front of the stage with Peggy singing right to you. The drums are behind her to her left and the bass is being played over to her right though sound is spread across the three front speakers. Somebody clears their throat at one point while chuckles and chatter from the the audience can be heard from all around. The clinking of silverware and glasses can be heard throughout the track. It's a gas! There are discs that contain lossy DD 2.0, DTS 5.1 and MLP 5.1 tracks so one can select the one that sounds best to them based on their system. The DTS tracks always seem to have bass that sounds bombastic to me but that might be a plus for others. One such disc is Olivia Newton John's "One Woman's Live Journey". The DTS track has more bass but the MLP track is more even in its presentation if that makes any sense. It sounds very natural and, well, live. It sounds as though everything was put down without much done to "clean it up" later and it is all the better for it. Olivia's voice shows it age on this recording and high notes are not as silky smooth or easily reached as they were in years passed but the trade off is that her voice contains a bit of grit and depth absent in her youth. Applause, instruments and backing vocals can all be heard from the surround channels. Anyway, those are some of the discs I enjoy. Anybody like Peter Gabriel's "UP" on SACD? "No Way Out" is one of my favorite songs but the bass of the DSD 5.1 track is more than my cheap subs can bear. I also love "I Grieve". I always feel like I went on some sort of journey after listening to that one. "Life carries on and on and on and on..."

2channel lover

Some new music came in last week.

Sonny Rollins...I was reading the thread in here about the 20 albums you should own but don't...sorry I botched that title I think. Anyway, the OP was mentioning some tunes and he said that this one jazz album by Sonny Rollins (Way Out West) was and (I'm paraphrasing), in his mind it's better than anything Miles Davis ever recorded including "Kind Of Blue".

As a budding acoustic jazz collector...that got my ears perked up. Aside from maybe four MP3s...I didn't have much by the man. I just found "Way Out West" on CD and it's on the way. I did listen to it on Prime several times including today at work...nice, but I don't quite share his opinion that it should be mentioned in the same breath as Kind Of Blue.

After researching Rollins more, I realized my collection was really lacking without some of his works and if nothing else, I'm glad stumbled across that thread.

Reviewing

Sonny Rollins..."Saxophone Colossus"...1956...hybrid mono SACD

SQ...4 of 5
. I've played the SACD layer half dz times, and the CD layer once so I'm not making a comparison of the two here. Even as a mono recording, the music comes thru very clear. You don't get the sound stage width or depth of a stereo recording, but very good.

Content...5 of 5. By most accounts, Saxophone Colossus is Rollins' most noted album of many. Only 5 tracks total, but each one is a winner. The iconic "St. Thomas " is the opening track. A relaxing, yet upbeat number with a Caribbean flair and ending with "Blue7", an 11 minute improvisation session...all 4 artist deliver great solos, Roach on drums was outstanding.

Summary...I own Miles' "Kind of Blue", Mingus "Mingus Ah Um", Brubeck's "Time Out", Coltrane's "Blue Train"...these are on most top 10, or top 20 Jazz album lists..."Saxophone Colossus" is on that level imo.

If you're into acoustic jazz...BUY.

sonny.JPG

Next up...Sonny Rollins..."Tenor Madness" SACD

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If you have decent sounding recomms for Benny Goodman, please tell me about it.

The other day I played some excerpts from some CDs to see if they're collection worthy. It said they're remastered, but if indeed they were, that guy just copied the material. It sounds like crap. Like listening to an old VHS recording of a mono TV broadcast of some 50' show.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well, you were a bit slow this time. It would seem by all means this will do the trick:
1586076221251.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis