What is your favourite release?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Share with the rest of us.

CD/SACD/LP Demo Material to Evaluate High Fidelity Audio

^This is a brilliant article. It would be really good to have a thread where all those recording experts among you would throw a title or two just to recommend a certain album's release. Like, for example; "if you want to listen to that band don't buy CD's released from that company or from that company.

Or even, since Mr. Toole explained why certain older albums will still sound better on vinyl, you could even recommend a few of those.

I'll start: I came across the first Dire Straits album on an SACD published for Japan. I don't exactly know what happened in the remastering process, but it didn't sound good. Something strange about "upper low frequencies", in the song Six Blade Knife the rhythm section covers everything else. It is over-stressed. The drum and the midds completely eat the entire song. It happens on other songs as well, but here it is most obvious.

Then a friend of mine recommended Bob Ludwig's remasters and those were great. I wholeheartedly recommend all Dire Straits studio albums remastered by Bob Ludwig.

So let's make it like what are you listening, watching and drinking threads, but this one with "what release do you prefer?" Today you can find hundreds of releases for more famous albums, so let's try avoid buying those that aren't really good.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I see you're not really biting, but I think that having a long list of albums at their best mastering or remastering would turn into a treasure chest in as short as few months.

I'll try to jump-start the thread with a question;

Do you know of any solid release of Paul Simon The Rhythm of the Saints?

I own two CD's and they both sound terrible. I'm guessing this shouldn't be as the album earned a Grammy nomination for production.

My CD's sound unclear, muddy, undefined... Exactly like listening an old and not well kept audio tape.

Maybe someone knows more about this?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I know Frank Sinatra sounds better in his Capitol Records days than under the Reprise Records label, but that's probably more to do with age than with mastering. He kept recording long after he should've retired.

Of more relevance, @killdozzer, did you read about Gene's CD vs. vinyl listening event?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I know Frank Sinatra sounds better in his Capitol Records days than under the Reprise Records label, but that's probably more to do with age than with mastering. He kept recording long after he should've retired.

Of more relevance, @killdozzer, did you read about Gene's CD vs. vinyl listening event?
:):)

First time I read your post it was on my mobile, I missed the links. I'm gonna cherish this article in the afternoon.

Moving on:

I guess most anniversary editions will sound decent. When a remaster is released to honor a famous album, it will probably do it justice.

Whether this is always the case, I don't know, but if you wish to listen to Jethro Tull, I recommend this:

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (25th Anniversary Remastered Edition) - 1996

I believe this is the best rendition of this album so far.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'll give this a slight push forward to let you see how I imagined it. The second post will get edited over and over again and all the recommended recordings will be added there to make it more accessible. Often people update the list in later posts, but I find this to be less of a solution.

Comments on recommendations will be in further posts, but the list will be in post #2.

So, while poking around I came to realise that I have never heard a better release of Jethro Tull albums than the ones remastered by Steven Wilson, and yes (it was news to me, you maybe know this, but for the ones that don't) it is the same Steven Wilson of "To The Bone" (and many others) fame.

I guess his interest in prog rock made him the best guy in the room to do it. I have original vinyl albums from Jethro Tull. And I do know that "Bursting Out" still gets mentioned as one of the better produced live albums out there.

And still, when you hear what Wilson did with, i.e. Velvet Green on Songs From The Wood, I'm sure you'll appreciate it.

So, without any doubt;), if you want to listen to Jethro Tull find Steven Wilson's remasters.

I'm still kindly asking for a recommendation on Paul Simon's The Rhythm of The Saints

By kind permission, I'll be using some of the info from other member's threads.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I see now. "Edit" button vanishes after a while. This is a pity.

Well, left with no other solution, I'll just list them as they come in new posts.:(

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Beginning the list:

Dire Straits - remastered by Bob Ludwig

Django Reinhardt - The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order by Ted Kendall

Doors, The - vinyl, Analogue Productions

Ella And Louis Again - SACD, Analogue Productions

Frank Sinatra - Capitol Records era

Jethro Tull - whatever is remastered by Steven Wilson

Led Zeppelin - albums 1,2,3, and 4 (Vinyl version)

- quote by permission from the "High Quality Sound Albums" by PENG

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I've been a Doors fan for a long period of time when I was much younger. I heard tapes, CD's, records, original releases and domestic releases. I never heard anything that sounds better than Analogue productions vinyl. However, I didn't hear SACD, hybrid and others. If anyone has this experience, please share.

Same goes for Jethro Tull. I've been a huge fan. I knew all there is to know about them. I had or heard all sorts of releases. Never have I heard anything better than what Steven Wilson did with their music.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Django is in.

I agree with much of what is said here except the sentence in bold which IMO doesn't make sense:

This budget five-disc box collects Reinhardt's first 124 recordings between 1934-1939. Curiously enough, despite the title, these sides aren't chronological, a fact that engineer Ted Kendall admits in the liner notes. Rather, while each disc's featured sessions are presented mostly chronologically, the discs themselves are rather awkwardly sequenced, with different discs covering different years in a seemingly random order. That doesn't really detract from the set's appeal, however, as this music is terrific no matter how it's presented. If there is a flaw, it's that the remastering isn't nearly as superb as the fawning front-cover quotation would lead one to believe. In fact, some of the better CD issues (particularly ASV/Living Era's Quintette du Hot Club de France) have sound quality that is nearly, if not equally, good. To his credit, however, Kendall admits that he has attempted no "enhancement" of the sound, but has instead concentrated on clearing away much of the audio rubble. His work is, in fact, generally excellent -- especially on the later sides, many of which are virtually devoid of hiss. And much care has been taken to present this music in the best possible light -- the scattered liner notes are enthusiastically written and there are some real treasures unearthed along the way, from unissued second takes to tracks that have been issued for the first time at their correct pitch. All in all, Kendall deserves kudos for his meticulous attention to detail, and the super-low price is a Reinhardt fan's dream.

This is a quote from All Music.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Dead Can Dance - Spiritchase - SACD, 4AD

Dire Straits - remastered by Bob Ludwig

Django Reinhardt - The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order by Ted Kendall

Doors, The - vinyl, Analogue Productions

Ella And Louis Again - SACD, Analogue Productions

Ennio Morricone - Giu' La Testa (35th anniversary edition), CD

Frank Sinatra - Capitol Records era

Jellyfish - Bellybutton, standard CD edition

Jethro Tull - whatever is remastered by Steven Wilson

Led Zeppelin - albums 1,2,3, and 4 (Vinyl version)

- quote by permission from the "High Quality Sound Albums" by PENG

Paul Simon - The Rhythm of The Saints - Legacy Recordings, 2013 remastered box set

Tina Turner - Private Dancer - 30th Anniversary Edition CD

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Morricone is in. This is my personal favourite OST from the western works (I know not many people agree). After a long search I can say I haven't heard a better release of this OST.

Feel free to join in. This is not at all that subjective, if you heard any of the releases I list and compared it to another that sounds better, let me know, we'll throw it in. Better being the one with less noise, more articulate, less mess where many instruments are playing at once etc. It's not about the personal preference, it's about the version that dealt with most of the problems of the original recording.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Dead can Dance, spirtchaser. Very unique style for those that want to demo their system with an array of instruments and incredible female vocals

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/5180
Thank you everettT. I use to like them a lot. Still have the CD's. Never heard SACD but I know people like it and so does your link say. I even enjoyed Lisa's solo albums The Mirror Pool in particular. You probably know about Loreena McKennitt then? Which reminds me, Ludwig remastered some of her stuff and it's right for this thread.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I see now 4AD released SACD box of all the albums DCD originally recorded with them, but before someone confirms it as an improvement, they're not going in. I do suspect that the remaster of the first album can only be an improvement though.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately for me, most anything I like is only available on cd. I'd love to find a blu ray or SACD of some of my favorite bands.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunately for me, most anything I like is only available on cd. I'd love to find a blu ray or SACD of some of my favorite bands.
Just keep in mind that if it's a simple reissue, your CD's are just as good. If releasing the SACD included remastering or multi channel, then it may be worth it.

Even if it's just a CD that sounds better than other releases, just name it, we'll pop it in.:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just keep in mind that if it's a simple reissue, your CD's are just as good. If releasing the SACD included remastering or multi channel, then it may be worth it.

Even if it's just a CD that sounds better than other releases, just name it, we'll pop it in.:)
Anything by tool. I have their "Salival" dvd, but to my knowledge that's about the only thing they did that was mastered in multi channel. My tastes revolve mainly around pretty heavy, bassy music. I like well done prog that's as musical as it is complicated. Some of the stuff is just written to be as difficult to play as possible and it sounds like it. And just plain good musicianship.

I'm a big fan of Tool, Chevelle, somewhat Korn, a little slipknot... heavy music, but not too fast or unintelligible (not speaking about some of the vocals). I like slow, grinding and crunchy-heavy music too. I also really like Pink Floyd, Alanis Morissette, Boston, Journey, Neil Young, some Rush, etc., but generally have to be in the mood for the lighter stuff.

I don't have anything that can play sacd's yet. I'm still determining if it would even be worth it to me given the lack of them with the music I really like. My new subs have changed my tastes a little too because now I tend to seek out music that has at least decent bass. With some of the older stuff I used to love 30 years ago it's almost nonexistent.

And yes! Any releases that are mastered and sound better than a poorly mastered one I'd definitely be interested in as well. If I can find better copies of what I already have even, I'd look for it to buy.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for contributing!

I'm a big fan of Tool, Chevelle, somewhat Korn, a little slipknot... heavy music, but not too fast or unintelligible (not speaking about some of the vocals). I like slow, grinding and crunchy-heavy music too. I also really like Pink Floyd, Alanis Morissette, Boston, Journey, Neil Young, some Rush, etc., but generally have to be in the mood for the lighter stuff.
You gave me some excellent ideas here. But, because of the nature of the thread, I need to hear different releases in order to be able to recommend one. As you have certainly noticed so far, this is not the over-exploited topic of "production value gem" albums like Steely Dan or Sade. I'm hoping to offer advice here on which format to pick after you already decided which band you'll pick. This is the goal; "if you like that album/band, this is the best or among best releases of that album/band". So Django doesn't really sound as good as some Eric Clapton records, of course and that would be impossible. But the edition I'm recommending is among the best sounding ones (although there's still a significant amount of noise).

For that reason, this is also a highly trumpable (the old meaning of the word) list, because at any time someone might say; I heard the one that you recommend and I heard this other one that sounds better. Then I have to edit it.

My new subs have changed my tastes a little too because now I tend to seek out music that has at least decent bass. With some of the older stuff I used to love 30 years ago it's almost nonexistent.

Man!! Is this an endless subject or what! It's a great thing you said this AND I think it requires some brass down south. Equipment influencing music taste is a really tough one to pull in many audiophile circles. From experience, they can be reeeeally hard on admitting this. Very often they see it as a weakness if their taste, which they hold dear, can be affected in any way by a different set of speakers. But it is true!

My speakers being regarded as neutral and revealing to a certain extent, no way I can enjoy Yummy Fur or Noir Desir or similar bands that I used to listen to when I was younger. I still play them every now and then, but it's harder to listen to them with better equipment. I actually sometimes go back to my desktop PC speakers to listen to this.

You're really a straight shooter! That's great!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Allow me to weigh in regarding my favorite release ... Toes All Curled Up :confused:

Artist ... Candy :oops:

Share with the rest of us.
Be careful what you wish for but hey, next Twist Off ... you, sir, have front row.
Note: Eye protection is encouraged. :eek:

Alright, enough of that.

The regular CD version Switch Blade Knife never struck me as anything but a good song that I enjoyed hearing but 'Brothers in Arms' is a standard I have used to check out speakers. Track 1 is bass heavy. Track 3 has a nice acoustic guitar at the beginning. Some speakers are better at putting that guitar right in the room than others. Track 6 has vocals that stand out well enough that comparison of the speech discrimination band from speaker to speaker is easy enough. Track 7 has a kind of explosively loud acoustic guitar strum that might well be used to appreciate the dynamic capabilities of a given system.

Then of course, track 2 ... don't get me started. I've got the SACD version with a CD layer.

You don't have a record player so we can skip past that but the much praised Miles Davis thing. I guess it's as good as everybody says and I own the album. I even listen to it from time to time but I really don't like jazz. I listen it because I know it's good and I want to give it a chance but ... meh.

PENG had a thread that you should be able to search out easily enough on this topic. TLSguy has also contributed greatly on the topic of good classical recordings. Searching out jostenmeat's thoughts would also be fruitful. You're sort of late to the party. Swerd has gleaned some info on the matter and KEW as well has chimed in a time or two with some pretty specific requirements and expectations for the playback of horns. This stuff has been addressed in great lengths back in the day.

I'm off to New Englandier parts of New England than the part of New England that I live in ... all I can say about that is 'women' but when I get back I'll see if I can find some of those threads I recall from back in the day when we all just got along.

Nemoj nista zamjerit. Ako je ista bilo, nije namjerno. <My new sig. :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Do you know of any solid release of Paul Simon The Rhythm of the Saints?

I own two CD's and they both sound terrible. I'm guessing this shouldn't be as the album earned a Grammy nomination for production.

My CD's sound unclear, muddy, undefined... Exactly like listening an old and not well kept audio tape.

Maybe someone knows more about this?
Find the 2013 Columbia remastered The Complete Albums Collection (1965-2011) box set. Jaw dropping good.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
If I had to choose one album/cd to demo speakers I'd probably go with Jellyfish's 1990 Bellybutton release.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis