What is your favourite release?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Boy, that might put me in a trance! :)

I think I'm up to 11 or 12 Miles Davis titles now...most are SACDs, including BBrew (in stereo)...one live Blu ray. There are about 3 or 4 more I want for my library, then maybe I can circle back for BBrew in MC.

Speaking of multichannel...after Wishing You Were Here...I've got a pre-order on DSOTM multi-ch.
Hmmm didn't know there was a Miles on bluray, off to shop again :) I like both the PF multich SACDs, very nice.

ps Just ordered the Blue Note collection, which I'd been meaning to buy anyways as I've been listening to it on Spotify, plus the Live at Montreux 1991 bluray!

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Very true...I've been growing my SACD library and maybe a good 40 to 50 are multi-channel...go figure!

I never knew how good it would be...this old dog learned a new trick...lol...multi-channel music
Well my joke was suppose to be much dirtier, namely, if you go on posting how you like multi ch music, one might ask oneself why do you call yourself a 2channel lover...
1582108477452.png

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well my joke was suppose to be much dirtier, namely, if you go on posting how you like multi ch music, one might ask oneself why do you call yourself a 2channel lover...
View attachment 34146
lol.
Admittedly, I didn't see it (multi-ch) coming, but glad I had an open mind. Hi res multi-ch is the wow factor that might not always be there with a 2 ch SACD.

That said, 2 ch...always and forever!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Believe me, I'm even more strict. For example, you always listen to analogue, no other way, so prefering analogue I see as a vinyl aficionados defense. Also, after reading Toole's comments on music archives I came to realize a lot of what people don't like about CD's was actually due to early CD's being made from tapes prepared for the lathe for vinyl (heavily manipulated to accommodate the shortcomings of the medium), so vinyl's fault in a way.

When you have a skilled person doing the transfer from original tapes to CD and does good mastering... I for one can't find one single thing to complain about. And therefore, new recordings that are done with having digital files in mind as the end product, IMHO, can't be beat by anything else we have at our disposal at this point in our history.
And, hopefully, they use the multi-track tapes to make the new master for digital files. With the apparent lack of care when storing master tapes and films, it would seem that this will be a difficult proposition for a lot of great music.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
And, hopefully, they use the multi-track tapes to make the new master for digital files. With the apparent lack of care when storing master tapes and films, it would seem that this will be a difficult proposition for a lot of great music.
Oh, absolutely! I made it sound overly easy, but I don't think it is so. What I said counts only if you have decently stored original master tapes. Sometimes, it seems, even that doesn't help (check my post on Segovia).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm didn't know there was a Miles on bluray, off to shop again :) I like both the PF multich SACDs, very nice.

ps Just ordered the Blue Note collection, which I'd been meaning to buy anyways as I've been listening to it on Spotify, plus the Live at Montreux 1991 bluray!
FWIW got these two now, the Live disc is very good (even PQ). I just started to play the Blue Note one, and was just a tiny bit disappointed its just hi-res instead of multich (forgot to check and the ad says nothing about that) but it still works for me and was cheaper than the cd and I love the collection so win win still.

2channel lover

You've peaked my interest with Live '91...I don't have anything that recent.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You've peaked my interest with Live '91...I don't have anything that recent.
It's a nicely done disc, and I like the Quincy Jones orchestra more than I thought I would....but I've enjoyed all the Montreux discs I've got.

ps It's actually Quincy Jones and the Gil Evans Orchestra....

Last edited:

2channel lover

It's a nicely done disc, and I like the Quincy Jones orchestra more than I thought I would....but I've enjoyed all the Montreux discs I've got.
I have Carlos @ Montreux.

I'll pick up the Miles live '91, the year he passed. Sonny Rollins had some interaction with Miles...played his band for a time...the point of this is he's still at it today. That had to be an amazing ride...so many of those guys died young. Coltrane 41, Mingus 56, notably.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have Carlos @ Montreux.

I'll pick up the Miles live '91, the year he passed. Sonny Rollins had some interaction with Miles...played his band for a time...the point of this is he's still at it today. That had to be an amazing ride...so many of those guys died young. Coltrane 41, Mingus 56, notably.
I also have the Montreux Santana br disc from 2011, an Al Di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty & Stanley Clarke dvd from 1994, Emerson Lake & Palmer dvd from 1997....was thinking I had one more from Stomu Yamashta but that's a live from Paris now that I look at it (but a wonderful recording on cd).

ps The Miles 91 disc has some interesting interviews, too. Montreux founder Claude Nobs and musicians Monty Alexander, Helen Merrill, Betty Carter, Charlie Haden, Gil Goldstein, Stanley Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty, Al Di Meola, and Michel Petrucciani...

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

ps It's actually Quincy Jones and the Gil Evans Orchestra....
Ah Quincy Jones. Aside from producing Michael Jacksons Off the Wall (with his best song ever IMHO Don't Stop Till You Get Enough) produced some great albums of his own works. The Dude is my personal favorite.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I also have the Montreux Santana br disc from 2011, an Al Di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty & Stanley Clarke dvd from 1994, Emerson Lake & Palmer dvd from 1997....was thinking I had one more from Stomu Yamashta but that's a live from Paris now that I look at it (but a wonderful recording on cd).

ps The Miles 91 disc has some interesting interviews, too. Montreux founder Claude Nobs and musicians Monty Alexander, Helen Merrill, Betty Carter, Charlie Haden, Gil Goldstein, Stanley Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty, Al Di Meola, and Michel Petrucciani...
Which Stanley Clark CD? I have School Days and especially like the title song.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which Stanley Clark CD? I have School Days and especially like the title song.
It's the 1994 Live at Montreux with Jean-Luc Ponty and Al Di Meola dvd. Another by this trio that is very nice is Rite of Strings.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
It's the 1994 Live at Montreux with Jean-Luc Ponty and Al Di Meola dvd. Another by this trio that is very nice is Rite of Strings.
Nice. I have some other Di Meola stuff (Friday Night in San Francisco) but never those three together. Thanks I'll have to look for it in the used CD section. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. I have some other Di Meola stuff (Friday Night in San Francisco) but never those three together. Thanks I'll have to look for it in the used CD section. :)
Yeah the Friday Night in San Francisco had me look for more...I have one or two more I think with that grouping, too. Ever try SMV ... Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Vivtor Wooten? Power bass trio....

2channel lover

Ah Quincy Jones. Aside from producing Michael Jacksons Off the Wall (with his best song ever IMHO Don't Stop Till You Get Enough) produced some great albums of his own works. The Dude is my personal favorite.
I think Sketches Of Spain was Miles breakout album with Gil Evans.

QJ has worked with a lot of people and clearly the man behind the success of Michael Jackson.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think Sketches Of Spain was Miles breakout album with Gil Evans.

QJ has worked with a lot of people and clearly the man behind the success of Michael Jackson.
QJ and 'The Chairman of the Board' were superb together as well !

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Concierto de Aranjuez

I'm looking for a good recording of a brass orchestra of this tune. Strings simply don't touch that one nerve with me, regardless of all the big ones; Lucia, Rodrigo... whoever. For me, simply, it needs the timbre of brass.

If anyone here knows for such a rendering (besides the OST Brassed Off), please let me know.

I've heard it on Miles' Sketches of Spain and loved it, but that's full of improvisation. Looking for something that sticks to note sheets.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis