What is your favourite release?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ratings
782 6 13
I think you'd be surprised. Not as many as the Steve Hoffman Forums but we have our share.

Personally I don't get it. I realize the human ear prefers an analog recording but ...

I still have nightmares about that analog hum in the background of my youth, even though I had decent equipment back then with my Dual turntable and Shure cartridges in the early 70's.
Believe me, I'm even more strict. For example, you always listen to analogue, no other way, so prefering analogue I see as a vinyl aficionados defense. Also, after reading Toole's comments on music archives I came to realize a lot of what people don't like about CD's was actually due to early CD's being made from tapes prepared for the lathe for vinyl (heavily manipulated to accommodate the shortcomings of the medium),so vinyl's fault in a way.

When you have a skilled person doing the transfer from original tapes to CD and does good mastering... I for one can't find one single thing to complain about. And therefore, new recordings that are done with having digital files in mind as the end product, IMHO, can't be beat by anything else we have at our disposal at this point in our history.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic
Ratings
56 2
Thanks. I doubt you'll find vinylheads in AH, though.
Umm..there we go with some Audiophile and Audiophool humor. I have to say on AH, we have all kinds. On AH, we don't discriminate on
Anyone at anytime on any Thread. Doesn't matter if your a beginner or old timer. Smacking upside their head indiscriminately with a hammer is always a option. Gene, should have a emoji with a hammer. Remove the dumb icon and replace it with hammerhead emoji. ;)

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Ratings
782 6 13
My next endeavor is to find a good remaster of Credence:
1566752052868.png
I have this on vinyl and it contains one song that is very dear to me. I'd like to have it neat n' clean.

If anyone knows of such reissue, I'm kindly asking for your recommendation.

In the meantime, these are IMO best renditions of these tunes (Cd, of course):
1566752434600.png
It's one of the most famos yeh-yeh girls. The movement was neve very much liked, but if you're interested, this is also a good introduction to Francoise Hardy. Her most famous songs are mixed with some more acclaimed. It is the 2001 issue of the Compilation "The Vogue Years".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
Ratings
6,229 21 52
Thanks. I doubt you'll find vinylheads in AH, though.
There's a couple around. You're sort of one now, eh?
I think you'd be surprised. Not as many as the Steve Hoffman Forums but we have our share.

Personally I don't get it. I realize the human ear prefers an analog recording but ...

I still have nightmares about that analog hum in the background of my youth, even though I had decent equipment back then with my Dual turntable and Shure cartridges in the early 70's.
Even though I still have my vinyl collection and a good tt/cart to play them with, these ears do not prefer "analog" at least not particularly in the form of vinyl (reel to reel tape would be more preferable but never went that way back in the day). I stopped buying vinyl over 20 years ago.....and don't regret it at all. Nostalgia and some stuff I don't have in digital form is all I use it for. LOL my first good record player (it was a changer so not really a turntable) was a Dual and I did have a nice Shure on it :) Still using the next one, a Technics SL1200mk2.

In any case my latest favorites are the blu-ray I just got of Alan Parsons' Eye in the Sky (very nice remix) and the multich SACD of Kind of Blue.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Ratings
782 6 13
There's a couple around. You're sort of one now, eh?
You dirty... :D

No, not really. I even like it less now then when I was a kid. Back then my father set everything up (and you could get the original cart),the TT had no problems and i just played it. Fell in love in the CD player the first time I layed my hands on one. It was mid 90' not sooner, there was a war and we didn't have any money. My first CD, Simply red Picture Book played clear, well defined, just beautiful...

Anyway, not to turn this into another vinyl thread, we said these things many times and in general we agree on the subject.

Thank you all for your contributions. On topic, let's keep it about the best possible rendition of an album in your eyes (ears).

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis