What is your favourite release?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I think you'd be surprised. Not as many as the Steve Hoffman Forums but we have our share.

Personally I don't get it. I realize the human ear prefers an analog recording but ...

I still have nightmares about that analog hum in the background of my youth, even though I had decent equipment back then with my Dual turntable and Shure cartridges in the early 70's.
Believe me, I'm even more strict. For example, you always listen to analogue, no other way, so prefering analogue I see as a vinyl aficionados defense. Also, after reading Toole's comments on music archives I came to realize a lot of what people don't like about CD's was actually due to early CD's being made from tapes prepared for the lathe for vinyl (heavily manipulated to accommodate the shortcomings of the medium), so vinyl's fault in a way.

When you have a skilled person doing the transfer from original tapes to CD and does good mastering... I for one can't find one single thing to complain about. And therefore, new recordings that are done with having digital files in mind as the end product, IMHO, can't be beat by anything else we have at our disposal at this point in our history.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. I doubt you'll find vinylheads in AH, though.
Umm..there we go with some Audiophile and Audiophool humor. I have to say on AH, we have all kinds. On AH, we don't discriminate on
Anyone at anytime on any Thread. Doesn't matter if your a beginner or old timer. Smacking upside their head indiscriminately with a hammer is always a option. Gene, should have a emoji with a hammer. Remove the dumb icon and replace it with hammerhead emoji. ;)

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
My next endeavor is to find a good remaster of Credence:
1566752052868.png
I have this on vinyl and it contains one song that is very dear to me. I'd like to have it neat n' clean.

If anyone knows of such reissue, I'm kindly asking for your recommendation.

In the meantime, these are IMO best renditions of these tunes (Cd, of course):
1566752434600.png
It's one of the most famos yeh-yeh girls. The movement was neve very much liked, but if you're interested, this is also a good introduction to Francoise Hardy. Her most famous songs are mixed with some more acclaimed. It is the 2001 issue of the Compilation "The Vogue Years".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I doubt you'll find vinylheads in AH, though.
There's a couple around. You're sort of one now, eh?
I think you'd be surprised. Not as many as the Steve Hoffman Forums but we have our share.

Personally I don't get it. I realize the human ear prefers an analog recording but ...

I still have nightmares about that analog hum in the background of my youth, even though I had decent equipment back then with my Dual turntable and Shure cartridges in the early 70's.
Even though I still have my vinyl collection and a good tt/cart to play them with, these ears do not prefer "analog" at least not particularly in the form of vinyl (reel to reel tape would be more preferable but never went that way back in the day). I stopped buying vinyl over 20 years ago.....and don't regret it at all. Nostalgia and some stuff I don't have in digital form is all I use it for. LOL my first good record player (it was a changer so not really a turntable) was a Dual and I did have a nice Shure on it :) Still using the next one, a Technics SL1200mk2.

In any case my latest favorites are the blu-ray I just got of Alan Parsons' Eye in the Sky (very nice remix) and the multich SACD of Kind of Blue.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You dirty... :D

No, not really. I even like it less now then when I was a kid. Back then my father set everything up (and you could get the original cart), the TT had no problems and i just played it. Fell in love in the CD player the first time I layed my hands on one. It was mid 90' not sooner, there was a war and we didn't have any money. My first CD, Simply red Picture Book played clear, well defined, just beautiful...

Anyway, not to turn this into another vinyl thread, we said these things many times and in general we agree on the subject.

Thank you all for your contributions. On topic, let's keep it about the best possible rendition of an album in your eyes (ears).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It is what I came to refer to as "Segovia Frustration". I've tried 20 editions and they all hum like crazy with white noise.

It is as if producers deliberately want to leave the noise on record.

I even found this:
1577478493688.jpeg

And still while transferring this to digital, for some unbeknownst reason they left the hum in.

Now, I've been to my fair share of classical guitar concerts and believe me, there's no hum. When everyone settles down and shut their smackers, you don't have a heavy rain noise in concrete hall.

Why do these people keep reissuing records of Segovia, Albeniz, Lobos and Tarrega with all this noise??

Please, if anyone know of a version which is dead silent where it needs to be, please direct me.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, by the way, I found that for me, preferring 2ch set-up and after going through more than 20 renditions of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, a lot of English chamber orchestras, German chamber orchestras, Russian, American etc. It is the Venice Baroque Orchestra that did everything right, this is the release:
1577523705687.jpeg
1577524048063.jpeg

If it helps anyone find what he's looking for, I'd be happy.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Also, I find that the best version of Jobim's Stone Flower is the 40th anniversary edition from Sony. It still hums a little bit, but the least in comparison. It is this version:

1577524403015.jpeg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
At last, a decent Segovia recording:

A quote from discogs: "All recordings previously released by MCA Records Inc.
Tracks 1-13 to 1-16, 2-2 to 2-6 & 2-12 are mono recordings. All other tracks are stereo recordings.
Digitally remastered at 96 kHz/24 bit from the original master tapes by Emil Berliner Studios." - It is remastered by Andrew Wedman

I don't mind mono recordings and I mind them the least for solo instruments. As long as they play good, I'm fine.

Furthermore, this is a decent sounding recording, but far from a selection I'd like to have.

Still, the sound is up there with the best when it comes to Segovia and the selection is representative.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Even though I still have my vinyl collection and a good tt/cart to play them with, these ears do not prefer "analog" at least not particularly in the form of vinyl (reel to reel tape would be more preferable but never went that way back in the day). I stopped buying vinyl over 20 years ago.....and don't regret it at all. Nostalgia and some stuff I don't have in digital form is all I use it for. LOL my first good record player (it was a changer so not really a turntable) was a Dual and I did have a nice Shure on it :) Still using the next one, a Technics SL1200mk2.

In any case my latest favorites are the blu-ray I just got of Alan Parsons' Eye in the Sky (very nice remix) and the multich SACD of Kind of Blue.
I had to resist something in this hobby and the return to vinyl was it.

I'm getting deeper and deeper into Miles, and this multi ch offering not only is the noted best selling jazz album of all-time, it was one of the few recordings that I've had the LP, the CD, and the multich SACD. Honestly I don't remember the LP SQ that much, but I don't remember any as good as the multi ch sacd and I still have the redbook.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had to resist something in this hobby and the return to vinyl was it.

I'm getting deeper and deeper into Miles, and this multi ch offering not only is the noted best selling jazz album of all-time, it was one of the few recordings that I've had the LP, the CD, and the multich SACD. Honestly I don't remember the LP SQ that much, but I don't remember any as good as the multi ch sacd and I still have the redbook.
I really want Bitches Brew in multich now but it's pricey and I keep hoping sometime when I look its more reasonable but that may not be the way it works :)

ps Said screw it and bought it just now on discogs....

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I'm digging through some old cds we found and stumbled across my "Krupa and Rich" cd from my drumming days. Admittedly it's not one of my "favorites" but the cd is a really good acoustic recording. Amazing drummers, both too.

One of the "cooler" songs, lol. @KEW might really like this one.

2channel lover

I really want Bitches Brew in multich now but it's pricey and I keep hoping sometime when I look its more reasonable but that may not be the way it works :)

ps Said screw it and bought it just now on discogs....
Boy, that might put me in a trance! :)

I think I'm up to 11 or 12 Miles Davis titles now...most are SACDs, including BBrew (in stereo)...one live Blu ray. There are about 3 or 4 more I want for my library, then maybe I can circle back for BBrew in MC.

Speaking of multichannel...after Wishing You Were Here...I've got a pre-order on DSOTM multi-ch.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Boy, that might put me in a trance! :)

I think I'm up to 11 or 12 Miles Davis titles now...most are SACDs, including BBrew (in stereo)...one live Blu ray. There are about 3 or 4 more I want for my library, then maybe I can circle back for BBrew in MC.

Speaking of multichannel...after Wishing You Were Here...I've got a pre-order on DSOTM multi-ch.
You'll have to change your avatar's name! :D:D

2channel lover

You'll have to change your avatar's name! :D:D
Very true...I've been growing my SACD library and maybe a good 40 to 50 are multi-channel...go figure!

I never knew how good it would be...this old dog learned a new trick...lol...multi-channel music

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis