What gear would you choose to put together with 10k or upt to 20k?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know but the source is at least as important as the amp IMHO. Garbage in garbage out as the saying goes. If you lose information at the source it can never be recovered down the chain. And room treatment is also important much more than cabling, etc. Once again JMHO. That said the amp is important so maybe 60 or 70% to the speakers?
Audio Science Review has already proven that a $500 DAC can be best in class and one costing as much as a used car can be garbage. That just does not have to be a large investment. My Marantz hasn't been tested yet so I can't judge it on sonic purity merits, but I bought it more for looks and features than anything. If he ever does test one and it's crap, I might reconsider.

I'd place room treatment above cables too, as soon as we move and I get out of this 10' x 10' purgatory I'm stuck in. I have every intention of putting money into room acoustics, hopefully by year's end.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Is this 2 channel or multichannel?
Don’t have to be HT you can do 2.1 or flat out 10K on two L/R mains 10k on gear amp pre-amp than Source Plus cable’s No Snake Oil cables Not aloud..
Tube amp are more than welcome, mix it up! Tube + SS.. No Bose speakers! Unless you have a pair of 901’s you get a pass. Vintage gear also. Some won’t ever part with Tubes or 30+ plus year old speakers

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Don’t have to be HT you can do 2.1 or flat out 10K on two L/R mains 10k on gear amp pre-amp than Source Plus cable’s No Snake Oil cables Not aloud..
Tube amp are more than welcome, mix it up! Tube + SS.. No Bose speakers! Unless you have a pair of 901’s you get a pass. Vintage gear also. Some won’t ever part with Tubes or 30+ plus year old speakers
Even if the cables make the midrange more chocolately? ;)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Its hard to do without wasting or spending money needlessly.
My Man! Your thinking like a Audioholic now! We all are Audio Junkies! ;) Your the kind of member that Resembles all of us on AH:D It took me reading that on here to find the root cause of my Addiction to Audio., Started when I was just a Tender age child that carried me into my teen years in band classes in school. Than late teen full Audio Junkie. When I first saw Gene website wasn’t on any other website I found it by looking up gear and speakers. Audioholics. At first I didn’t know what to think about this website. Looked over Genes home page went umm another sales guy. Click over to his Forum went umm, Bunch of chatters talking smack just to make a sale, found some had Knowledge of audio gear some Fighting of who is right and who was wrong. Lots of bickering, some taking shots at each other some seem to be Cordial with each other. I didn’t Join up the first year and a half. Why because I’d see members getting banned went, what a mess seen that on other audio Forums. Than around 2007 really took a deep Interest in my Audio hobby again.
found out not all Audio sites and Forums are Truthful and found thatvGene website Home page and on his Forum when Gene would Post up was Truthful. So I Decided to join later 2009 maybe? Can’t remember I slept since than. So jump in! Don’t worry if you get Bit! All good, can’t die from it. Just remember one thing, everyone’s Opinion is a Educated guess at best and No one on AH is 100% correct. Only one Engineer with Audio Gene. But he let’s us play around on his Forum. But Some members think They own this forum , Not! Please share you input
About the only one will bite you is Doc, TLSGUY Great guy well Respected member. Never say AVR’s are better than Separates. Lolo that’s some Pun. But TLSGuy could care less who thinks what of his choice of gear. You like TT? Vinyl? Doc is about as Knowledgeable as they come with Analog. Best High-End Analog set up I’ve ever seen. So sorry about the long post, but yeah go ahead Waste as much as you want.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Even if the cables make the midrange more chocolately? ;)
Keep rolling brother! ;) :) Any thoughts on your idea of a 10K setup? or a 2k how about Split 10 K Setup. Don’t stop now, you rolled in so let’s hear how you would Rock out a 10K or 20K setup. After all being a Audioholic junky is what this hobby is about.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shiny black Curvy speakers are good, but I guess you don’t remember the 5 you and I came up with. Martin Logan’s was one, umm you had mention B&W not them ugly ones you had. nothing that wasn’t from a Manufacturer , Salks? But you said wasn’t really Impressed with the ones you had and paint peeled or something like that.
B&W 802D2 was ugly? I thought they looked unique, full-figure curvy. But they are a ripoff in price now. Back then I could get 802D2, 805D2, and match center for $20K. Forget that now.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
B&W 802D2 was ugly? I thought they looked unique, full-figure curvy. But they are a ripoff in price now. Back then I could get 802D2, 805D2, and match center for $20K. Forget that now.
I’m not into those Exotic speaker’s, Just Exotic dancers with Curvy :D. high-end the 200k plus that has a Abstract look think speaker Cabinets , works of art. That billionaires buy guess after they go broke and can’t repair those high end speakers they can sell them off as works of art guess someone could use one as a plant stand. :p;)
Oh B&W speaker’s nothing personal but to close a name to BMW for me to own. Down here in the Deep South, in Cajun country the only one’s who do drive umm Scratch that, use B&W speakers are Distant cousins that went to a Hi end-education BS school. Ma I tell ya Dat just don’t make two pennies to me ya know.;):) . Andrew guess your at the top floor today huh? Work:)

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So? You can get the 802D2? 805D2? and match center 20k.? You talking about them , R2D2, looking speakers again? or are you just looking to post up on a Thread with numbers again to drum up sales for your side Business as a dealer? Is that the reason you Suggested in the text chat between You and I had the other day I should start a Thread on setting up a setup between 10k and 20K? You Sly Doggy! ;):) No Snake Oil Salesmanship Allowed! :p:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So? You can get the 802D2? 805D2? and match center 20k.? You talking about them , R2D2, looking speakers again? or are you just looking to post up on a Thread with numbers again to drum up sales for your side Business as a dealer? Is that the reason you Suggested in the text chat between You and I had the other day I should start a Thread on setting up a setup between 10k and 20K? You Sly Doggy! ;):) No Snake Oil Salesmanship Allowed! :p:D
Shhhhhh. Hush. Trying to sell some B&W 800D3s here! :D

Wish I were a dealer for B&W too. Then I could get some big discounts. :D

Not that I thought the 802D2 sounded better than other speakers. But I thought they looked awesome. Fat, Big, Curvy full-figure shape.

Last week I was actually seconds away from buying those Yamaha NS-901 towers, but backed out because I felt they weren't big enough - only like 41" tall. Gotta be at least 48-49". :D

Just curious to see what everyone would get IF they had the money.

Do a lot of people hate curvy speakers (like B&W 802D and KEF 207/2)?

Do most people prefer boxy square speakers?

Another curvy speaker I mentioned a long time ago is the XTZ Devine Alpha speakers. They are about 49" tall and weigh about 160 LBS.

They're not as big as the SVT Tower. Even the older SX-T2 tower was bigger. But these XTZ Divine Alpha also has the Dual 10" Aluminum woofers like the SX-T2.

I would use the Yamaha to power the tweeter and midrange. And then use the sub amp to power the dual 10" woofers.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Not that I thought the 802D2 sounded better than other speakers. But I thought they looked awesome. Fat, Big, Curvy full-figure shape.

Last week I was actually seconds away from buying those Yamaha NS-901 towers, but backed out because I felt they weren't big enough - only like 41" tall. Gotta be at least 48-49". :D

Another curvy speaker I mentioned a long time ago is the XTZ Devine Alpha speakers. They are about 49" tall and weigh about 160 LBS.

They're not as big as the SVT Tower. Even the older SX-T2 tower was bigger. But these XTZ Divine Alpha also has the Dual 10" Aluminum woofers like the SX-T2.

I would use the Yamaha to power the tweeter and midrange. And then use the sub amp to power the dual 10" woofers.

I thought you said you where or is it Legacies you can get

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Oh okay :D umm speaking of making a sale, how about that nice lil deal You can get me on those two towers we chatted about? Have you had time to check? Know you been Busy at the hospital so. Hit back on text. Would 12% sweeten it up? Plus the shipping? ;):)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Legacy Audio - yes I am, but not B&W.

Would be cool to be a dealer for B&W. But I'm not.

I always love the aesthetics of the 802/800, though. When I had those 802D2, I always worried about those fragile synthetic diamond tweeters. And it was at my old house where I didn't have a LOCKED room. So any guests could come by to mess with my speakers.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh okay :D umm speaking of making a sale, how about that nice lil deal You can get me on those two towers we chatted about? Have you had time to check? Know you been Busy at the hospital so. Hit back on text. Would 12% sweeten it up? Plus the shipping? ;):)
Oh, THOSE towers. ;) :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
10k........

Maggie 1.7's, 2 - 12" subs, ATI AT6002 amp, ARC LS27 line stage (used), Rega planar 3 TT, Denon DL-103 cart, Schitt Mani phono-pre.

20k .......

Maggie 3.7i's, 2-12" subs, ATI AT6002 amp, ARC LS27 line stage(used), Technics 1200G TT, Hana SL-MC cart, Parasound JC3+

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its hard to do without wasting or spending money needlessly.
This post is wasteful and needless, lol. There's pretty much nothing that's not going to require wasting or spending money needlessly. First of all, "wasting" and "needlessly" are pretty poorly defined so that might help. Have you ever driven to the store for something you didn't need and spend money on it? Restaurants? Fast food? Soda? Ever go to the theater? When you can cook at home, drink water and wait for a rental I would say that's wasteful and needless.

So how would (did) you spend your money for audio? Do you stick with entry level gear and/or only buy used or something? Or did you sell all your gear and donate all your audio/video money to charity, hang up the golden ears and not get anything? How much do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on audio gear? I'm assuming you've spent some money on audio gear somewhere down the line or was it all gifted to you?

Last edited:
Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
If I had $10k to throw at some new equipment, let’s see....

Using my current outlaw receiver as the pre-amp I’d likely just add two of their M-2200 mono blocks and spend the rest on a pair of speakers. Like Focal Kanta2’s or top of the line Salk’s.

$20k I might go with,
Bryston, BP-26 Pre-Amp and a 4B3 dual mono power amp.
Then with the rest I’d again likely go with the Kanta2’s or Salk’s.

All of the above is well beyond anything I really need but it would be pretty nice all the same.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Oh them bookshelves? wow you have a good memory that was back in 2018. Or did you use right click on your PC?:p:):D You and I had talked about those setting up like Modules right? Sitting each one on Top of Sub? was it the 12” with the amps in them RBH Subs? I can not remember if a Center was included? if so I believe we talked about the 3 fronts being voiced matched told you I could really care less if the Center was voice matched could do EQ on center.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
This post is wasteful and needless, lol. There's pretty much nothing that's not going to require wasting or spending money needlessly. First of all, "wasting" and "needlessly" are pretty poorly defined so that might help. Have you ever driven to the store for something you didn't need and spend money on it? Restaurants? Fast food? Soda? Ever go to the theater? When you can cook at home, drink water and wait for a rental I would say that's wasteful and needless.

So how would (did) you spend your money for audio? Do you stick with entry level gear and/or only buy used or something? Or did you sell all your gear and donate all your audio/video money to charity, hang up the golden ears and not get anything? How much do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on audio gear? I'm assuming you've spent some money on audio gear somewhere down the line or was it all gifted to you?
Pogre! Why go and mention “Hang up golden ears” now you got me wanting to upgrade my L/R mains!! Again! :D As I just posted this post I’m trying to Con ADTG, ;) on a great deal on a pair of Legacy bookshelves, two 12” subs. Pogre wish me luck! I have the fund’s for those bookshelves all depends on what deal he can cut on the Subs for total price.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis