What gear would you choose to put together with 10k or upt to 20k?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well, we tend to "worry", overthink, and talk about a lot of things that we can't really "hear".

For example, people compare electronics with SNR, THD, Crosstalk numbers. In real life, we can't really hear the difference in these. But we still talk about them all the time.

The "standard" frequency response is +/-3dB, but can we really hear the difference if it's +/-4dB, +/-5dB, or +/-6dB? Yet, if a speaker has a FR of +/-4dB, +/-5dB, or +/-6dB, a lot of people will probably say that they won't sound great just because of those numbers.

So would you buy an AVR with SNR of 120dBA and THD of 0.001% or an AVR with SNR of 70dBA and THD of 0.1%, even though we can't hear the difference?
It is funny how audio people freak out about the smallest of things. It's like PC people, Oh I need that new graphics card to get 3 more FPS! totally worth the $1500 price for the card! And PC people always blow their budgets when building something new. Everybody likes shiny new things.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is funny how audio people freak out about the smallest of things. It's like PC people, Oh I need that new graphics card to get 3 more FPS! totally worth the $1500 price for the card! And PC people always blow their budgets when building something new. Everybody likes shiny new things.
I take offense at that!

SMART PC people upgrade when necessary. I've had the same motherboard/cpu for 6+ years because at the resolution I play games at, there is no benefit to getting a new CPU. I got a new GPU because I was two generations behind and my new monitor made my GPU say uncle pretty quick.

You're talking about the guys that get a 2080 Ti for an HTPC. I don't know anyone that's done that! :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I take offense at that!

SMART PC people upgrade when necessary. I've had the same motherboard/cpu for 6+ years because at the resolution I play games at, there is no benefit to getting a new CPU. I got a new GPU because I was two generations behind and my new monitor made my GPU say uncle pretty quick.

You're talking about the guys that get a 2080 Ti for an HTPC. I don't know anyone that's done that! :)
I agree, I'm in the same boat. I'm several generations behind on processors, and I've never bought a top end video card, I usually go two rungs down from the top.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, I'm in the same boat. I'm several generations behind on processors, and I've never bought a top end video card, I usually go two rungs down from the top.
Same here. That's where the sweet spot is for video cards.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, for my $10k system I'd probably have to go with Salk, Legacy or RBH for speakers. This would be a 2ch system.

Then a quality amp and pre-amp. Maybe Parasound? Or a nice Integra nice integrated amp from marantz or Yamaha. One with a USB DAC built in would be nice so my PC could be the source.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Lol. Same here. I’m not sold on the AT screen thing. I think off screen pans are better/wider when speakers are not behind the screen. It can look cleaner but I like to see gear. If I had a crazy over the top themed room or something...
You seen ADTG’s HT room hu? 7 subs! Speakers as tall as Bigfoot himself! even Gene had to go and try to top Andrew! with those 7 ‘1/2” Tall RBH Bigfoot speaker. 14K just for dem hi-end cables Gene got from that guy who been Harassing him, just to get Gene all knot up in the stomach. Bet Gene never Listen with the grills on. Anyone thinks Gene leaves the grill on or off? Anyone believe He could tell the Difference with the lights off or the lights on in a double blind test?:p

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Would you agree that everyone has a different definition of "killer bass"?

I might want my bones to rattle while watching "Sense and Sensibility" or "Howard's End", but others might hate that.

Thus, one person might want more bass and another person might want less bass.
Andrew, lol You want your bones to Rado? lol time fir you to go! You been on thread 4 hour! You stay to lon! 4 Hour! Come back next time at Buffy time! Bring wife # 2 wit you! Than you can stay 4 moe hour. Lolo

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Home audio/video today is routing the way it has been from the beginning. Powered wireless speakers and an iPhone running iTunes can deliver awesome stereo for peanuts. And multi-channel capability is just around the corner, meaning no more need for multi-channel Preamps, AVR's, and Power Amps for the non-audiophile music/movie enthusiast. In other words, nine thousand on speakers and one thousand on a cell phone or tablet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, for my $10k system I'd probably have to go with Salk, Legacy or RBH for speakers. This would be a 2ch system.

Then a quality amp and pre-amp. Maybe Parasound? Or a nice integrated amp from marantz or Yamaha. One with a USB DAC built in would be nice so my PC could be the source.
Whatever you do, just don't get those Parasound Halo stereo preamps that @ematthews got. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

Two Channel:

Topping D90 $699
VTV Purifi 1400 based amp at $899
Source: DIY low wattage Intel J4005 based computer / Windows 10 Pro / JRiver MC / JRemote / 40" display for $599
Revel Salon2 B-Stock for $16K
Room Treatments $2K

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew, lol You want your bones to Rado? lol time fir you to go! You been on thread 4 hour! You stay to lon! 4 Hour! Come back next time at Buffy time! Bring wife # 2 wit you! Than you can stay 4 moe hour. Lolo
Yeah, those 10 subs in my room serve as massage subs - they vibrate my muscles. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Two Channel:

Topping D90 $699
VTV Purifi 1400 based amp at $899
Source: DIY low wattage Intel J4005 based computer / Windows 10 Pro / JRiver MC / JRemote / 40" display for $599
Revel Salon2 B-Stock for $16K
Room Treatments $2K
I bought my Revel Salon2 BRAND NEW for $14K delivered and then sold them later for about $11-12K. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Whatever you do, just don't get those Parasound Halo stereo preamps that @ematthews got. :D
I probably wouldn't go Parasound just because of the mixed things I've heard.

Maybe a used MAC or something fancy looking. Anthem? Not all that picky honestly.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Maybe a used MAC or something fancy looking. Anthem? Not all that picky honestly.
What mixed things are you hearing about Parasound?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What mixed things are you hearing about Parasound?
Probably just one off issues with a single piece of equipment. I forget which preamp it was.

I've heard nothing but stellar stuff about their amps though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Probably just one off issues with a single piece of equipment. I forget which preamp it was.

I've heard nothing but stellar stuff about their amps though.
I think ematthews had some issues with their P5 twice or more - something about the volume pot. A few other members had the same exact problem.

Can't remember if he had issues with their other MCH preamp which replaced his P5 after 2 failed attempts.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think ematthews had some issues with their P5 twice or more - something about the volume pot. A few other members had the same exact problem.

Can't remember if he had issues with their other MCH preamp which replaced his P5 after 2 failed attempts.
That's what I was referring to. Thanks for clarifying.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Reminds me of another member here who bought some MAC amps and B&W 802D2 because it was his dream.

Then about a year later, he sold all his MAC's and B&W 802D2. :D

Makes you wonder about "dream" systems. What happens after the HONEYMOON period? :D

I felt pretty awesome when I got Orion 3.2.1, Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, etc. But after the honeymoon period, they were just regular old speakers. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Reminds me of another member here who bought some MAC amps and B&W 802D2 because it was his dream.

Then about a year later, he sold all his MAC's and B&W 802D2. :D

Makes you wonder about "dream" systems. What happens after the HONEYMOON period? :D

I felt pretty awesome when I got Orion 3.2.1, Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, etc. But after the honeymoon period, they were just regular old speakers. :D
I think that's what fun about this. It's neat to dream because a lot of us haven't got to spend real time with these speakers. Once you get them, it's nice, but did you REALLY get your monies worth?

I was really happy when I got my theater speakers (even though they're in wall) because I got such a good deal (80% off). Don't get me wrong, they sound fantastic, but do they sound $1k each fantastic over the Pioneers they replaced at 10x the expense? No. I wouldn't have been happy had I paid MSRP because I've heard cabinet speakers in the $1k/ea price range that sound much better.

Once this virus stuff is all over I'm going to have to drive over to the local high end shop (assuming it's still there) and have a listen to some truly high end speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis