What are you watching tonight?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Yesterday I watched the first 3 episodes of Hemlock Grove on Netflix. It seems like it might be interesting.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
In the post this morning Great Expectations (1998) Laserdisc Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

Opening with Dolby Digital (short train) trailer.

Picture if HD would look nice but for Laserdisc its fine, with 1080p upscale it improves a little bit.

Director: Alfonso Cuarón does it again it has a bit of GRAVITY style sound it was immersive feel.

Patrick Doyle, score was scary at times and pleasant listening.

Richard Beggs ... sound designer gave the film a nice openness Frank E. Eulner, supervising sound editor and mixed through the re-recording mixers Michael Minkler and Christian P. Minkler. Sound services by Skywalker Sound.

Dialog is mainly centre stage clear and intelligible with a few occasional dialog pans not on the same scale as GRAVITY (2013) but nice to hear dialog pans as it gives a more creditable feel to the film.

Stereo surrounds was open at times with sound of seagulls flying around even right at the end of the end credits seagulls circle the THX cinema.

LFE.1 rarely used.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Rollercoaster (1977) region 1 DVD 1080p upscale
Dolby 1.1 (Sensurround) / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

I can watch it all day for the Senurround.

I must have missed this at the ABC screen 1 around 1977?

The Dolby 1.1 LFE.1 Sensurround rumble what ever is thrilling when the lows roar across my chest and vibrate the seats.

Lalo Schifrin, score has tense opening playing on the "young man" tape cassette player.

The scope 2.35:1 looks cool for the film.

If this was to be remixed it should have below surround to give sense below not just all this atmos overhead. Real life has lots of things going for it that a trained ear will notice.

Too many mixing flaws today, Some scenes of the coaster has lows rumbling when camera is yards away from the object and you won't feel it unless in POV of it or sat in the coaster.

Mix to 9 screen will turn the on-screen upside down before sound images move off-screen to the surrounds even need upper/lower corner surrounds sidewall rear wall with phatom sounds between to make feel dizzy.

The real thing at end of the day is way different to cinema. The G-force pressure level feel and air at natural level of being on the ride rush past and clothing flapping. I only been on a few Rollercoaster rides at Disney World, Florida, Feb 1981 and Alton towers around 2000/2? Didn't like it as I've been terrified of heights since 1982.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh" looks like the coaster is being elevated upwards! :D

The LFE.1 SENSURROUND RUMBLES IN!!!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Just arrived in today, import from USA.

HANGAR 18
(1980)
Mono / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers

I've been after this one for a few years. I have watched it for past 3 or so years for nearly around close to 8,000 times, more than STAR WARS '77. Yes I'm addicted to this obscure cult-sci-fi, about ALIEN encounters with government cover-up conspiracy. :D

Picture Wow another nice one from Image Entertainment. Its got a nice raw/gritty film like look with Onkyo TX-SR875 1080p upscale.

The colour I have reduced down to give a human natural like skin tone. As for the two ALIENS in the film "They're dead, Jim". :D

^Camera had bit trouble adjusting for what my eye was seeing and tried taking picture 3 times and then had to call it day and settle one what it can capture.

The sound mono mix is better than what I been listening to on youtube as I did side-by-side comparison with one scene and the Laserdisc won. :) PCM and analog are punchy warm sounding not toppy like the few many youtube ones.

HANGAR 18, comes complete with (reel change over dots)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Arrow S2 more episodes ..lost track..good thing netflix keeps track
Lost Girl S2 more episodes
Agents Of Shield S1...more episodes

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Recent viewings:

The Babadook - interesting and tense little light horror flick. Great performances, awesome audio, movie pretty decent and worth a viewing. I picked it up on BD for the crazy audio, but it is already on Netflix.

Song of the Sea - I'm not sure I agree it should have won the Academy award, but it was very good. Good characters, story was sort of "where the wild things are" like in a good way, really nice art style to it and very good audio.

Big Hero 6 - Excellent audio, impressive visuals as expected as well. I think the story had some minor issues and was a bit too "Disney expected" but delivered a good experience in the end. The characters carry it and make you want to keep watching. Kids love this film. I can see why this won the academy award.

Yesterday I watched the first 3 episodes of Hemlock Grove on Netflix. It seems like it might be interesting.
It starts out good, dies off a bit in the middle and gets good at the end. S2 wasn't as strong, but I'll still check out S3 if/when it comes out.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched "The Last Stand" last night with Arny on Netflix. It was entertaining with unrealistic car stunts, and some mild body gore....

I

IEMPatel

Audioholics Inner Ear Monitor
Gonna start heading up on Game of Thrones! It's been way too long!

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I finished both seasons of Hemlock Grove. I don't disagree but found them interesting enough. I'll probably watch season 3 as well.

I recently watched "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night." I liked it a lot. It's an indie vampire movie in black & white and in Farsi with subtitles.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Been watching DVD's of AC/DC, Sara Bareilles, Marc Anthony and Sade in Concert on the big screen. Dancing and trying to rid of stress. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Been watching DVD's of AC/DC, Sara Bareilles, Marc Anthony and Sade in Concert on the big screen. Dancing and trying to rid of stress. :D
1. You don't dance to AC/DC you headbang :cool:
2. That is sure one hell of a diverse soundtrack

I can see that reducing stress :)

For me we are just finishing Captain America First Avenger before fight time!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Watching Blues Brothers right now. Extended version. Still Excellent.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched Super Trooper over the weekend. This was my first time watching it having been recommended as hysterically funny. It had its moments for sure. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
1. You don't dance to AC/DC you headbang :cool:
2. That is sure one hell of a diverse soundtrack

I can see that reducing stress :)

For me we are just finishing Captain America First Avenger before fight time!
I was was throwing fist in the air does that count? (I need a Billy Idol Live one as well).
Yep I can watch/listen to all types of music. I appreciate all styles of music since I was a child.
Watched 3D Bluray: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island B- (3D was cool, but movie was a little too kiddish).
On Netflix: Gimme Shelter A- A very effective Vanessa Hudgens. She should have gotten a Oscar Nom. IMO.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
WHITEOUT (2009)
dtsHDMA 5.1 PLIIx / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers

Multiple snowings :D of it tonight.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Arrow season 3 final few episodes are spicing up nicely. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis