Using big amp in small room ? Onkyo 818 help

randomperson

randomperson

Enthusiast
WOUDO WOULD you need carpeting between the pc riser ,? And the sub
You might want to. To test if it makes a difference you can play the sub at listening volume and feel how much the box vibrates. Then you can put the PC riser on the sub and feel how much it vibrates. Then you can put the PC riser on carpet and feel how much it vibrates.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Which is what makes it not a good idea...
I didn’t plan on putting the receiver on carpet , but are there fans you can add on to keep room dust from building up inside amplifier??
I wanted to put carpet in between the bottom of riser and little pc rack stand tray . The receiver is currently on this rack in my picture.
Can’t add any pics to next month , Tapatalk limit

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Tapatalk limit on pics? That’s something I’ve never seen.

randomperson

randomperson

Enthusiast
I didn’t plan on putting the receiver on carpet , but are there fans you can add on to keep room dust from building up inside amplifier??
I wanted to put carpet in between the bottom of riser and little pc rack stand tray . The receiver is currently on this rack in my picture.
Can’t add any pics to next month , Tapatalk limit

Free the reptile aliens
The way u have it set up now is good. But you can always go the extra mile to put 2 pieces of carpet under the riser

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Can you place amp on top of a large subwoofer or will it be damaged by the rattling ? Could you put a metal or wooden board in between them ??

I need to move the amp from its current spot to somewhere else .
I
Wanted to place it were this floorstander speaker is at .
sub shakes the whole room regardless.

Free the reptile aliens
Put some equipment on my subs, big flat cabinets, sturdy. I put a movie in with heavy heavy sub tracks, U-571. I watched my equipment move. Had I not paid attention, eeek

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I just did a quick Google search on "MartinLogan Subwoofer Amp failure" and found:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/martin-logan-subwoofer-failure-mild-rant.660181/

So I guess it's "successful" until your MartinLogan subwoofer's (or any brand) amp fails after the warranty is over. Then it becomes "unsuccessful". :D

Do a Google search and I bet you will find many examples of Subwoofer amp failure. A friend of mine has already replaced TWO amps for his big SVS subwoofer.
I have had so many amps fail in my DefTech. Infinity etc. passive subs rock. You get a much higher quality amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have had so many amps fail in my DefTech. Infinity etc. passive subs rock. You get a much higher quality amp.
It wouldn't be hard to talk me into going passive. Power can be had reasonably cheap and when you go with multiples sharing the same amp you can realize some significant savings if you go diy. I'd actually like to go that route with a pair of them, but I don't have all the tools which just adds to my expense getting it off the ground.

Hopefully my HSUs will just last forever, lol.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It wouldn't be hard to talk me into going passive. Power can be had reasonably cheap and when you go with multiples sharing the same amp you can realize some significant savings if you go diy. I'd actually like to go that route with a pair of them, but I don't have all the tools which just adds to my expense getting it off the ground.

Hopefully my HSUs will just last forever, lol.
How does hsu and svs compare to Dayton subs and top of the line ones like stereo integrity? With superior specifications
Receiver has rubber feet is it bad to plate it ontop of sub instead of a. Iot of stuff in between?
I’m still mad for going with plate amp on my sub , makes it harder to place and cost almost as much as a cheap pro amp to power bass .

Free the reptile aliens

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How does hsu and svs compare to Dayton subs and top of the line ones like stereo integrity? With superior specifications
Receiver has rubber feet is it bad to plate it ontop of sub instead of a. Iot of stuff in between?
I’m still mad for going with plate amp on my sub , makes it harder to place and cost almost as much as a cheap pro amp to power bass .

Free the reptile aliens
I’ve been using external amps for all my subs since I first started this hobby around 1992.

But I believe this thread has been the “loudest” I’ve seen in terms of drawing a quantum of attention to the topic of using external amps for subs.

It seems like 99.9% of people think it’s great to have plate amps inside subs.

Although probably 0.1% of people think it’s great to have plate amps inside speakers or AVR/AVP/Pre-amps. :D

But don’t worry. The noise level and attention span on this topic will fizzle out in 3....2....1. :D

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve been using external amps for all my subs since I first started this hobby around 1992.

But I believe this thread has been the “loudest” I’ve seen in terms of drawing a quantum of attention to the topic of using external amps for subs.

It seems like 99.9% of people think it’s great to have plate amps inside subs.

Although probably 0.1% of people think it’s great to have plate amps inside speakers. :D

But don’t worry. The noise level and attention span on this topic will fizzle out in 3....2....1. :D
What’s the best affordable external amps
That Can power subs without costing a boatload? I had my bash 500rms plate amp fail once due to the power cord not staying in well due to design failure of the model itself . Eventually it will probably fail again

Free the reptile aliens

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What’s the best affordable external amps
That Can power subs without costing a boatload? I had my bash 500rms plate amp fail once due to the power cord not staying in well due to design failure of the model itself . Eventually it will probably fail again

Free the reptile aliens
Oh wow, the external sub amp attention lives another day. :D

I like the class-D Stereo Pro-amps from Yamaha or Crown. I think they are powerful, efficient, and very cool-temp operating. I think these amps are built to last. They also have EQ/DSP for guys who want that.

And for protecting your subs (especially ported subs),they have the High-Pass Filter.

I know the Yamahas have options on the HP filters like 20Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz, etc., as well as options for 12dB/24dB/36dB octave slope.

Keep a watch for the PX3 used “very good condition“ from Amazon Warehouse for about $268.

The Crowns probably have variable settings also, but I can’t remember.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As for me, I am using my ATI AT2005 amp to power all my subs.

If speakers get all the cool amps like ATI, Parasound, Anthem, etc., I see no reason why subs should not.

And if all amps make a difference, then maybe that’s why all my subs sound so good getting juiced up by my ATI amp and not by some plate amps. :p

Anyone has Mark Levinson, Krell, Boulder amps juicing up his subs? If only I were a billionaire. :D

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Pictures of set up anything that you can set above amplifier to block dust build up? Or put plants above it ??

Free the reptile aliens

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For $17, get these to put under the feet!
Sorbothane is great stuff!
These are sold as washers, but at 1.5" diameter, just put them under the feet of your Onkyo. They also have them being sold as foot pads (without the hole in the middle) but they cost more and don't work any better (as long as your AVR feet are large enough to span the 0.5" hole).
If you do decide on another version, make sure you get the load right! These are rated at 8-14 pounds each (or 32 to 56 pounds using 4 feet). Your 818 weighs 40lb, so you should be good to go.
It won't get rid of every bit of vibration, but it is impressive. After you have set it up, put a glass half full of water on the sub and on top of the AVR to see how much vibration is being reduced by the pads!

I'm afraid that anything that will block dust buildup will also block ventilation. Depending on how often you use it, you could put a bandanna or small towel over it for dust when you don't use it. If I did this, I would get in the habit of putting the remote on top of the AVR, then throwing the towel over the remote as well as the AVR, to help make sure you always remove the towel before turning on the AVR.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Pictures of set up anything that you can set above amplifier to block dust build up? Or put plants above it ??

Free the reptile aliens
Don't block the top vents, it allows heat to escape, thereby keeping your electronics cool and extending their life. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust every once or twice a month

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Don't block the top vents, it allows heat to escape, thereby keeping your electronics cool and extending their life. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust every once or twice a month
Ok in was not going to place anything ontop of it this amplifier requires more air flow then smaller ones . Any type of small metal
Shelf you can put around it ?
I wonder if any cheap pc fans or cool mats can help keep dust Fromm building up .
As of now it’s going to stay this way . !!!
Hope it looks good it’s a 40 pound avr beeeft but sadly in surround mode it’s what 80 rms a channel ?

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I wondered if you could built a rack or something put a foot above the receiver to place plants on and or stop dust from building up in the amp but I will just have to wait until I can afford a small metal rack .

I have to re hook up the klipsch center just because brands match the Sony one sounds better but I don’t have matching fronts tonuse it .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis