The NRA owns Trump as well.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Now we're ending sentences with prepositions! Where in the world are we headed !? To hell in a handbasket, I tell ya!!
You would rather he end questions with prepositions?

Reminds me of the Texan who went to Harvard. One day, he was walking across the quad and asked another student "Excuse me, can you tell me where the library is at?". The stunned student said "Um, well, at Hahvahd, we don't end questions with a preposition", to which the Texan replied, "OK, can you tell me where the library is at, a&^hole?".

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I guess we'll find out soon enough if and when teachers are allowed to arm themselves. Its just a matter of time as history does keep repeating itself.
This sounds strangely like the arguments against concealed carry laws. It'll be the Wild West, with blood running in the streets! But experience hasn't borne that out. In general, concealed carry permit holders are more law abiding than most groups you could name, including the police.

If a teacher is already a concealed carry holder, or becomes one, what is so special about his or her workplace that would absolutely prohibit carrying at work? The gun free zone designation obviously doesn't work, and likely just ensures a soft target. Why reject out of hand a ready means of hardening the target and making it less likely to be attacked in the first place?

highfigh

highfigh

One guy tried to ignite his shoe on a plane. We all have to take our shoes off as a result.

Thousands of innocent people have been murdered by firearms, and nothing has changed. There's no responsibility being taken.
I think the requirement to remove our shoes comes from the potential for carnage and damage to a large area- if he had done it on a public bus, I seriously doubt we would have seen more than a news report.

The Vegas shooting was the most extreme we have had- nobody had ever shot more than 600 people before.

Kids don't need to be afraid to go to school, they don't need to be afraid in their own homes and they don't need to worry about making it to their 16th birthday. Fear limits potential in people but it's a good way to control people.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

This sounds strangely like the arguments against concealed carry laws. It'll be the Wild West, with blood running in the streets! But experience hasn't borne that out. In general, concealed carry permit holders are more law abiding than most groups you could name, including the police.

If a teacher is already a concealed carry holder, or becomes one, what is so special about his or her workplace that would absolutely prohibit carrying at work? The gun free zone designation obviously doesn't work, and likely just ensures a soft target. Why reject out of hand a ready means of hardening the target and making it less likely to be attacked in the first place?
Depends on the school- some kids are in gangs and if they overpower an armed teacher, they'll just have another gun.

WRT concealed carriers being more law-abiding, here's a video of the recently-retired Milwaukee Police Chief, talking about people who shouldn't have guns, but are allowed-

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
As I mentioned before, there are NO solutions, only tradeoffs. Yes, there's a possibility of being jumped for your weapon, if they knew you carried one. I have a feeling that if that was a possibility in that school, the teacher may need the weapon for more than student defense, but self-defense as well.

BTW, the police chief was complaining about his state and local laws, and he wanted them changed to exclude more holders with criminal records. That's not representative of concealed carry permit holders in general.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
the nra owns trump to the tune of $30,000,000.00.
$30M is nothing to The Donald, and I doubt that money influences him at all. I think what's important to him is that the NRA has five million passionate members who usually vote in elections.

highfigh

highfigh

I

The inaction by our NRA purchased government is inexcusable, and is resulting in a youth that seems to be thinking "well, I don't want to take a test today, might as well threaten to kill people!"

But I also pointed out that the FBI is investigating the NRA for accepting/laundering Russian money...
And yet, the Democrats had a fillibuster-proof majority in 2009 and didn't reinstate the assault weapons ban.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
And yet, the Democrats had a fillibuster-proof majority in 2009 and didn't reinstate the assault weapons ban.
Which means that the NRA owns both houses of the government. Democracy can be bought. :p

highfigh

highfigh

$30M is nothing to The Donald, and I doubt that money influences him at all. I think what's important to him is that the NRA has five million passionate members who usually vote in elections.
I'd like to see the proof of $30M
Which means that the NRA owns both houses of the government. Democracy can be bought. :p
But the Democrats seem to be willing to take less, if you look at what each member of Congress receives. A LOT less.

I want to see an end to lobbying and corporate campaign contributions.

highfigh

highfigh

Here's Jeff Beck's take on Parliament, on an album from the '80s.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

.... He can't possibly come up with real solutions because the problems at hand elude him. ....
And, those problems also elude all his "best" cabinet members and others.:eek:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You know what's screwed up, is the original mission of the NRA was to teach people firearms safety and marksmanship in pursuit of civic duty. It was founded in 1871, shortly after the Civil War, as a means of training militias. The charter members believed that the Civil War could have been won by the North sooner if its militias had been better marksmen. The focus was on supplementing our police and armed forces in defense of the nation as a whole, not on individual freedoms. I daresay neither the founding members nor those governing over the next century would've endorsed today's cockblockery of restrictions that might prevent nutjobs from acquiring weapons.

Indeed, prior to the 1980's, the NRA helped write most of our current laws restricting firearm use. It wasn't until the end of the 1970's / early 80's that the NRA became a lobby for opposing any form of gun control, even though the 2nd amendment has never been in any danger. Now the focus is more libertarian, individual freedom, hands off my guns! The NRA has lost its way.

In fact, the 2nd amendment doesn't mention anything about individual liberties with regard to personal defense. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." That literally means private citizens must be allowed to keep weapons to defend our country. What does not mean is a pistol in every pot, an assault rifle in every garage, a sniper at every concert, a drive-by in every slum. The distinction is subtle, but has had profound repercussions. The right to bear arms used to be attached to an understanding of civic responsibility. Now the responsibility part is almost forgotten.

Enough is enough. I want the pre-1970's NRA back. And I would argue that the current incarnation of the NRA blatantly practices in direct opposition to the "well-regulated" stipulation of the 2nd amendment.
totally agree and this is coming from a 'Life' member of the NRA, this is not the America I grew up in nor is it the NRA I joined over 45 years ago.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

everettT said:
Chicago. Toughest Gun laws in the country and the highest Gun murder rate. I can list other extreme gun law states and cities. Criminals do not obey the law.
BY that logic why have any laws at all? Why not just live in anarchy? Why restrict citizens to just guns? Why not let everyone have rocket launchers, nuclear weapons etc?
In reality, Chicago does not have the strictest gun control law; they used to and gun kills were much less.
Indiana, on the other hand is very lax, from what I heard on this.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm so you are comparing gangs/mafia etc. murders to school shootings to cover your opinion. Last I checked most of these folks that committed the murders in Florida, Las Vegas, Sandy Hook all bought their weapons LEGALLY. So even though legal purchases of these weapons allowed easy access to commit these crimes you are saying making it tougher would have made no difference. Your logic does not work here. Try again.
what you miss is the FACT that law enforcement TOTALLY blew this most recent tragedy in Fla. As for tough or shall we say tougher laws, bring them on but they will do no good so long as our candy assed judicial system continues the way it does.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

what you miss is the FACT that law enforcement TOTALLY blew this most recent tragedy in Fla. As for tough or shall we say tougher laws, bring them on but they will do no good so long as our candy assed judicial system continues the way it does.
Well, that is what it looks like but what are the facts. Did the county sheriff not act? Or, was the law not on his side to act after each phone call the office received?
What is the procedure in the FBI to respond to concerned phone calls? Do they go out and investigate on their own or call the local law enforcement and see what is the story?
Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis