The NRA owns Trump as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Arm the teachers!! Excellent advice there dumbass Trump. :rolleyes:. That way a teacher having a bad can go on a shooting rampage and up the numbers. Why should students have all the fun of killing one another? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Search for the town hall where a victim's father of last weeks (or was it the week before, now?) school shooting confronted Senator Marco Rubio. There were follow up questions as to whether the Senator would refuse NRA money....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Search for the town hall where a victim's father of last weeks (or was it the week before, now?) school shooting confronted Senator Marco Rubio. There were follow up questions as to whether the Senator would refuse NRA money....
Search for the student that outed CNN for scripted questions ...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So precisely as @3db stated - this kid wanted to talk about arming teachers, and was instead redirected rather than making inflammatory statements after seeing what he wanted to read. The speech was already going to be scripted.

Simply put, there is room for compromise in our currently barely existent weapon laws. But I've not found a single "gun rights advocate" who can define what that compromise should be, and instead reverts to exhausted "they're trampling my rights" rhetoric.

These children had a right to live. Rubio agreed guns were the issue. But even when mental health is cited, and I do agree that HAS to be a part of changing weapon laws, everything the current administration has done has been to overturn any sort of oversight that could prevent this from continuing to happen. Mental health checks were revoked, and even acknowledging mental health as a basic right along with healthcare is being prevented.

If you have any interest in compromise, get vocal with your representatives and push the initiative. Because that Townhall is what change looks like, and your opportunity for compromise before outright banning, is running down the drain.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/02/22/marco-rubio-booed-father-of-parkland-shooting-victim-town-hall-sot.cnn

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That townhall was not about solutions it was NRA bashing. I'm involved locally, literally BROWARD County locally. We solutions not narratives. Teachers unions would have the final say in arming teachers. School systems would in other security.
Gun laws have never been a solution to any of these tragic events. Parkland was a total failure in law enforcement, family and the school system not a gun law. Criminals will always find a way to commit crimes despite any law.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I watched both the White House event and the CNN townhall. They were drastically different in discussing / debating school safety. Both had MSD students, as well as other victims of school safety. I'd recommend people watch both and decide which was interested in solving problems and which one was about narratives

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You know what's screwed up, is the original mission of the NRA was to teach people firearms safety and marksmanship in pursuit of civic duty. It was founded in 1871, shortly after the Civil War, as a means of training militias. The charter members believed that the Civil War could have been won by the North sooner if its militias had been better marksmen. The focus was on supplementing our police and armed forces in defense of the nation as a whole, not on individual freedoms. I daresay neither the founding members nor those governing over the next century would've endorsed today's cockblockery of restrictions that might prevent nutjobs from acquiring weapons.

Indeed, prior to the 1980's, the NRA helped write most of our current laws restricting firearm use. It wasn't until the end of the 1970's / early 80's that the NRA became a lobby for opposing any form of gun control, even though the 2nd amendment has never been in any danger. Now the focus is more libertarian, individual freedom, hands off my guns! The NRA has lost its way.

In fact, the 2nd amendment doesn't mention anything about individual liberties with regard to personal defense. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." That literally means private citizens must be allowed to keep weapons to defend our country. What does not mean is a pistol in every pot, an assault rifle in every garage, a sniper at every concert, a drive-by in every slum. The distinction is subtle, but has had profound repercussions. The right to bear arms used to be attached to an understanding of civic responsibility. Now the responsibility part is almost forgotten.

Enough is enough. I want the pre-1970's NRA back. And I would argue that the current incarnation of the NRA blatantly practices in direct opposition to the "well-regulated" stipulation of the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
You know what's screwed up, is the original mission of the NRA was to teach people firearms safety and marksmanship in pursuit of civic duty. It was founded in 1871, shortly after the Civil War, as a means of training militias. The charter members believed that the Civil War could have been won by the North sooner if its militias had been better marksmen. The focus was on supplementing our police and armed forces in defense of the nation as a whole, not on individual freedoms. I daresay neither the founding members nor those governing over the next century would've endorsed today's cockblockery of restrictions that might prevent nutjobs from acquiring weapons.

It wasn't until the end of the 1970's / early 80's that the NRA became a lobby for defending every individual's right to own firearms, even though the 2nd amendment has never been in any danger. Civic responsibility is no longer a consideration. Now the focus is more libertarian, individual freedom, hands off my guns! The NRA has lost its way.

In fact, the 2nd amendment doesn't mention anything about individual liberties with regard to personal defense. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." That literally means private citizens must be allowed to keep weapons to defend our country. What does not mean is a pistol in every pot, an assault rifle in every garage, a sniper at every concert, a drive-by in every slum. The distinction is subtle, but has had profound repercussions. The right to bear arms used to be attached to an understanding of civic responsibility. Now the responsibility part is almost forgotten.

Enough is enough. I want the pre-1970's NRA back.
Yes, when I was a kid I had to go to hunter safety before I could get a hunting license.

Plus, Are they trying to take away our automobiles because there's drivers training for youth, mandatory insurance, you need a drivers license to drive, you're car has to be registered, and you just can't get in any vehicle and drive (commercial/semi/etc)? I never hear the, "criminals will drive anyway..." or, "the next step is to take our cars away" argument against having these regulations.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
That townhall was not about solutions it was NRA bashing. I'm involved locally, literally BROWARD County locally. We solutions not narratives. Teachers unions would have the final say in arming teachers. School systems would in other security.
Gun laws have never been a solution to any of these tragic events. Parkland was a total failure in law enforcement, family and the school system not a gun law. Criminals will always find a way to commit crimes despite any law.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/18/trump-nra-fbi-alexander-torshin-russia-investigation

Here's a non US, non CNN based report on the FBI investigating the NRA for accepting Russian money, and we already know the NRA contributed $30M to Trump's campaign.

Additionally, the latest few murders were committed by non criminals. This was a kid. He was mentally ill. He was allowed to buy an AR15.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I think we should offer "Thoughts and prayers" to those that whine about sensible gun legislation being enacted.

No civilian should have access to semi-automatic weapons or accessories that make weapons automatic. Especially, not a
mentally ill 18-year-old kid!
No matter what you call them, assault weapons, military-style weapons, or an extension of your penis, these weapons are built to be used in war.
The 2nd amendment has been distorted to the point of perversion.
Even the far right gun enthusiast and Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said the 2nd amendment has its limitations on what can be owned by civilians.

And I make these comments as a gun owner.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I am so so tired of this line of bull$hit. Show me some proof that making it harder for folks to get weapons won't make a change. Why are there not more of these shootings in other countries? I live in rural America and I grew up with weapons. Hunters do not need AR15's and growing up no one had access to these weapons. The second amendment was written in a different time and needs to reflect the time we live in now. I don't want you or anyone else stockpiling weapons and high capacity magazines no matter how "sane" you may be.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We keep hearing more calls from gun rights activists for improved access to mental healthcare lately, to help avoid/reduce mass shootings. Improved access will likely require government funding, which (please forgive my stereotyping) I doubt the typical right-leaning gun rights proponents will be keen on. Strikes me as disingenuous...am I wrong?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am so so tired of this line of bull$hit. Show me some proof that making it harder for folks to get weapons won't make a change. Why are there not more of these shootings in other countries? I live in rural America and I grew up with weapons. Hunters do not need AR15's and growing up no one had access to these weapons. The second amendment was written in a different time and needs to reflect the time we live in now. I don't want you or anyone else stockpiling weapons and high capacity magazines no matter how "sane" you may be.
Chicago. Toughest Gun laws in the country and the highest Gun murder rate. I can list other extreme gun law states and cities. Criminals do not obey the law.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Say what you will about Cracked, but this article is on point for this discussion.

It is about NRA and 2nd amendment rights and our interpretation of it. I found it interesting.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You know what's screwed up, is the original mission of the NRA was to teach people firearms safety and marksmanship in pursuit of civic duty…

Enough is enough. I want the pre-1970's NRA back. And I would argue that the current incarnation of the NRA blatantly practices in direct opposition to the "well-regulated" stipulation of the 2nd amendment.
Thanks for that well-thought-out post. It's right and needs to be said over and over.

The post-1970s NRA is all about promoting maximum gun sales, not proper and responsible gun usage. It represents the gun manufacturers only. As such, the post-1970s NRA has led the charge in reckless and irresponsible gun usage. And beyond that, it's abundant spending to support/control/intimidate politicians deserves frequent bashing. No new law regulating gun sales or ownership will correct this nation's gun problem. That will require defeating the political influence of the NRA in local and national elections. After that, and only after that, will common sense prevail.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Giving the teachers guns just escalates the whole mess to another level. Now you have both disgruntled students and now teachers the ability to kill one another. Politics and money aside for a moment, does this even make sense?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Chicago. Toughest Gun laws in the country and the highest Gun murder rate. I can list other extreme gun law states and cities. Criminals do not obey the law.
Hmm so you are comparing gangs/mafia etc. murders to school shootings to cover your opinion. Last I checked most of these folks that committed the murders in Florida, Las Vegas, Sandy Hook all bought their weapons LEGALLY. So even though legal purchases of these weapons allowed easy access to commit these crimes you are saying making it tougher would have made no difference. Your logic does not work here. Try again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis