The Jan 6 Commission hearings

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
While the January 6 committee's activity is informative, I think it's only useful in documenting the fall of American democracy and the country as a whole. Most Americans don't care very much. And so many people are stuck in their own bubble that these hearings are not likely to change anyone's mind. All most Americans care about is their wallets. I think if a presidential election were held today between Trump and Biden, Trump would win, and I think he is the odds-on favorite for 2024, despite being openly corrupt and nakedly fascistic. The USA will exit NATO. and China may well swallow Taiwan without any contest from the USA. Trump's victory will again degrade every single governmental and civil institution of the USA.
These two sentences coupled together...there's truth to them and it is alarming that people could care so little.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've not seen the hearings myself but have read some the reports from them. The US democracy is more fragile than many would like to believe, and where it not for a number of elected Republicans the attempted self-coup could very well have succeeded.

Sadly, many people in the Republican party appears to try again in 2024.
The coup failed if you mean to turnover the election, the courts and state legislatures failed to do Trumps bidding and took care of the coup by confirming the votes via recounts. . And those Republicans that tried to assist most have been removed from office. But the fragile you noted is spot on. Trump failed at his improvised coup, but he succeeded in warping enough of the electorate to make another attempt — and even success — all too possible. That's the fear we in the US have to deal with in 2024.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If those 28,000 voters were all republicans, how did Georgia elect 2 democrat senators?
Those two senators were elected at different times. At least one of them was elected in a special election held in January 2021. Possibly both were, but I don't remember those details. The turn out was different, making the total voter population different than that of the November 2020 election.

You also cannot forget the successful work of Stacey Abrams. She worked hard to get a large turn out of Democratic voters in Georgia for the 2020 election.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
After what happened to him, how he can say that he'd still vote for Trump is utterly baffling.
America Needs More Legislators Like Rusty Bowers - The Bulwark
I cannot agree with Rusty Bowers' politics, but I have to admire his honesty and integrity.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it – Evelyn Beatrice Hall (under the pseudonym S.G. Tallentyre, often mistakenly attributed to Voltaire)​

I can't say the same for Trump or most of his supporters.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There is a big, big difference between Nixon/Watergate and Trump/January 6 when it comes to public support. That difference is news coverage. Nixon/Watergate had to face a news media that (1) existed on only a handful of channels, and (2) was subject to the Fairness Doctrine. That law required broadcasters to fairly reflect differing viewpoints when reporting on matters of public importance.

The Fairness Doctrine was ended by Reagan's FCC. What that means is that many supporters of Trump/January 6 will never learn enough about it for it to ever change their opinion. I read somewhere that Fox News not only didn't air the first week of hearings they didn't even break for a commercial during the hearings for fear that their viewers may change the station and land on it somewhere else.

So I disagree. I am pretty convinced he will get away with it when speaking of public opinion - his supporters will never learn enough to care enough about it.
Your point about news media coverage and the Fairness Doctrine is excellent. Thanks for bringing that up.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) had, for a long time, required broadcast news on radio & TV to provide equal time for opposing views on political news stories. Despite that Fairness Doctrine, there were right-wing supporters of Nixon who loudly claimed that biased news media, especially The Washington Post & The New York Times, caused his fall from power. (They conveniently ignored that Nixon was certainly going to be impeached and removed from office. He had directly violated the US Constitution, and criminally obstructed investigations into those violations.) Among those right-wingers was, Roger Ailes, a White House aide under Nixon. He later became the director of Faux News, known for it's distinctly unfair and biased programming.

The same anti-news media views were used in an effort to blame Walter Cronkite and CBS News for "losing" the war in Vietnam.

Under Reagan's influence, the FCC ended the Fairness Doctrine, allowing the creation of broadcasters such as Faux News.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Under Reagan's influence, the FCC ended the Fairness Doctrine, allowing the creation of broadcasters such as Faux News.
So at this point we just need to make a bunch of "Thanks Reagan" t-shirts to point to the beginning of so many of our current issues.

Of course some started way before, but boy to a lot of arrows point at Reagan era policies that have royally screwed things up.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Of course some started way before, but boy to a lot of arrows point at Reagan era policies that have royally screwed things up.
I doubt you're old enough to remember Reagan but know this, while the Clinton admin gets a lot of credit for the balanced budget of their time and deservedly so, it was under Reagan that we ended the 'cold war' with Russia and effectively reduced the biggest strain on our budget (Military).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget the embracing of the religious right that happened with Reagan. Also, enter Newt Gingrich and his antics as well.
I doubt you're old enough to remember Reagan but know this, while the Clinton admin gets a lot of credit for the balanced budget of their time and deservedly so, it was under Reagan that we ended the 'cold war' with Russia and effectively reduced the biggest strain on our budget (Military).
We won the game of who could spend more! Yay! :confused:
Defense is still a significant expenditure, though less % of our GDP than at other times in our history... Right now we are at our highest expenditure in 10 years, increasing every year since 2015, and only about $21B away from topping the previous high in 2011.
At over $730B, we far outpace any other country in defense spending.
China is forecast to spend something like $230B (US) this year. Russia, $62B.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So at this point we just need to make a bunch of "Thanks Reagan" t-shirts to point to the beginning of so many of our current issues.

Thanks McCarthy t-shirts, thanks Nixon t-shirts, thanks Agnew t-shirts, and so many other possibilities.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Jan 6 hearing hehehe. :)
I thought Faux News censured the Jan 6th hearings. Did their ratings drop or something and loose advertisement income? For surely it can’t be that they’ve had a change of heart to start reporting truthfully and disavow conspiracy theories and lies?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought Faux News censured the Jan 6th hearings. Did their ratings drop or something and loose advertisement income? For surely it can’t be that they’ve had a change of heart to start reporting truthfully and disavow conspiracy theories and lies?
I believe they did not interrupt their regular broadcast talking heads for the first session but have televised them since (due general pressure I suppose). I don't get Fox so not sure but sure as hell would mute it so I wouldn't have to listen to their nonsense commentary.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
You should have lived in CA when he was governor. Mr Reagan was good at one thing. Causing massive debt and leaving behind a completely dismantled mental health system. He CLOSED most of the facilities and turned them on to the streets. That lead to COPS having to deal with people they were not equipped to deal with or wanted to for that matter.

The NETS were put away and the killing became a way to confront the issues. Now it's nation wide and neighborhood to neighborhood. I put the blame completely on the backs of social media. People think they can act anyway they want ONLINE with GAMES and facebook and that translates to what you SEE every day in the streets.

Drug laws are as weird as the DEA/DOJs enforcement and what is considered what. Booze, coffee and smokes are the # 1 killer in the US and the world. Tylenol is a close # 4. Fentanyl is not even close to alcohol related deaths, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Many deaths are directly attributed to the loss of long term pain management and overregulating opioid based/tylenol/acetaminophen drugs. It's the Tylenol that kills you, not the opioid. Then drugs LIKE oxy are ready made for junkies. DUDES and DUDETS Wake up..

A world FULL of crap and we are worrying about TRUMPH, he was a peach compared to Reagan. The country was so broke after 12 years of republicans, they HAD to elect Clinton. ZERO work back then.. Everyone lost their homes in Texas and a lot of other areas. He ruined the Federal tax code for land owners and landlords. Killed Unions and was a snitch (to McCarthy and J Edgar Hoover) while he was head of the Actors Guild. His WIFE Mrs. Nancy, the whole time was using prescription medications by the bucket loads, while promoting a WAR ON DRUGS.

Yup that was some fun times for pot growers too. 10-30 years wasn't uncommon. NO WARRANTS stood as the main stay in courts all over the land. Just bring a fish and game or the dog catcher. No Warrant needed. The birth of the NO KNOCK error or death to present day.. Flash BANG anyone in the baby crib.. A few times now..

Tons of Coke for arms went through Mena Arkansas. TONS and TONS and TONS. The birth and BOOM of CRACK, and of course the laws to go with it.

Time to feed my chickens. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis